• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant Websites

TAPrice

right, but not every user has flash or wants to download the latest version; some will be at a loss as to how to download, have trouble downloading, etc. those are huge issues with a diverse user environment, especially if users are checking the site out for very simple information (hours, prices, etc.).

cheers :)

hc

Ditto on the keep it simple.

I find it irritating when a click on an innocent-seeming link opens up a pdf file-- especially when that file turns out to be so small that I don't see why they thought they had to use that format.

Also, please watch the dead or broken links. The number one thing I don't like, though, is links that lead to nothing but some comment about how busy the web administrator is and to please be patient. I really don't need to know anything about the webmaster, but the more cutesy and "look at me" this stuff is the less professional it makes the site look.

another web designer hear with an opinion and a beef... consider this, in addition the useful information that many others have stated-how many times have you visited a site to view the menu and/or wine list only to find it outdated and in many instances outdated by many months/seasons or years.

Keep in mind, its cost money to create a website. to host a website and to most importatnly to MAINTAIN a website. Money and energy better spent in the kitchen/restaurant. If you can't maintain the site, it becomes useless to the user after the second visit. You get them in the door with food and service not a flashy website.

and skip the music...

My peeve is menus (and, by extension, websites) with typos. When I go to the website of a restaurant where I expect to drop a few hundred dollars on dinner, it's shocking to me that nobody knows/cares enough to make sure that they spell their wine names correctly, or menu items.

I mean I'm a copy editor/proofreader by vocation, but still. I went to one Whistler restaurant's website recently: their wine list is so special that it doesn't even have prices for half of the bottles, and they have a great great reputation for providing wonderful food and wonderful service. Nonetheless, their website has broken links, sloppy workmanship, and they quote a Bon Appétit rave review--except they spell it Bon Appetite.

It doesn't inspire confidence!! :laugh:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

I nominate Flash animation intros:

Fade in, logo of restaurant, fade out.

Fade in, seared ahi tuna sitting on a starch, speared with something. Fade out.

Fade in, name of restaurant. Fade out

Fade in, some kind of yellow, or possibly red cocktail in a martini glass. Fade out.

Fade in, some kind of dessert, sprinkled with what looks like cardamom. Fade out.

Fade in, logo of restaurant again, with slide-in text containing brief statement of the restaurant's concept or 'spirit'. Fade out.

Click next to continue.

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

one more reason not to include music --- it's a nasty surprise for those who click into the site at the workplace. reprocussions range from embarassment to perhaps a little trouble.

also, fwiw, the flash intro that chef shogun describes should really be an option, not something a user is forced to view every time he/she wishes to grab some info off the site. people might be in a rush to choose a site for dinner, looking to see what's open, what's close, directions, a phone number, etc.

if a user is doing this alone or in the midst of a clamoring gang, waiting for "flash dinner theater" to end can be an annoyance and an inconvenience. and it may make the individual/the group bounce to the next restaurant on their list (instead of yours).

cheers :)

hc