• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Found a White Castle in Manhattan

FatFrankNJ

I was in Manhattan last night and I stopped in a White Castle, I never knew there was on there. It was on 8th Ave and between 37th & 38th..... Just thought I would spread the word..

have been; however, somehow did not seem as good as the "castles" in the heartlands.

i know this is so pre-morbidly obease...but there is nothing like the nathans fries, white castle burger (x10) burgerking whopper stroll towards a 42 st movie up 8th ave :wacko:

the W.Castle is not as good as the one in fulton mall though.

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

There are two other White Castles in Manhattan. There's one on 103rd Street and First Avenue, which is walking distance for a lot of Upper East Siders (like me), and there's a very busy one on 125th Street and Seventh Avenue (aka Adam Clayton Powell). There was also, until recently, one on Fifth Avenue directly across the street from the Empire State Building. That one has, however, closed.

These days, however, when I get the craving, I usually go to Sassy's Sliders on 86th Street and Third Avenue. They are what White Castles would be if done with better ingredients and more care. Even better, if I'm in the vicinity, is White Manna in Hackensack, NJ, which offers the ultimate artisanal expression of the "slider" genre, made from fresh ground beef, piles of steamed onions pressed down into the patties and served on a Martin's potato roll with delicious cool slices of dill pickles and really bad fries.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Are White Castle's burgers really that good? There's been a White Castle 10 minutes away by train as far as I can remember, and I haven't tried it once. I've cut fast food out of my diet (other than maybe Wendy's chili), and I'm wondering what makes White Castle so different.

Anyone tried the frozen WC burgers you can get mailorder?

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

Anyone tried the frozen WC burgers you can get mailorder?

I've picked up the frozen WC burgers in the supermarket before. When microwaved, they happen to taste remarkably like the real thing. BTW, I'm a huge White Castle fan - drunk or not! :raz:

Tried Sassy Sliders once - wasn't impressed. They may use better ingredients but I still thought that WC prevailed in taste. Maybe I was also turned off by absolutely horrendous service (I think I waited over 25 min for my food) and the place was filthy. I've also noticed differences in quality from one White Castle to another. I don't think they're as consistent as other fast food places for some reason.

I got to try these NJ places now!

~WBC

...and really bad fries.

You totally had me going there... what happened?

Is this like a figure of speech... like when I tell people, "I'm bad," which I do, because I am.

The fries at White Manna are bad, as in not good. It's an unfortunate weakness in the establishment's offerings. The burgers are the best examples of the genre; the fries are as bad or worse than White Castle's fries.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Are White Castle's burgers really that good? There's been a White Castle 10 minutes away by train as far as I can remember, and I haven't tried it once. I've cut fast food out of my diet (other than maybe Wendy's chili), and I'm wondering what makes White Castle so different.

Most folks fall into either the love 'em or hate 'em camp. The whole "slider" genre is pretty far removed from the normal range of hamburgers. The whole idea is they are "steam griddled," and have onions incorporated into the very thin patties. They are sui generis. But White Castles do provide a habit-forming jolt of fat, sugar and salt.

I work in the construction field, so sometimes I come in contact with a lunch wagon that has the 2-pack microwaved White Castles available and in my estimation there is no comparrison to the real thing. And the real thing still pales in relation to White Manna.

I wouldn't call their fries bad, though. Nondescript is more like it (shades of grey, I guess...). But in my fantasy world there is a place with White Manna burgers and All-American (Massapequa, NY) fries.

All-American is also a throwback fast food joint, and they still use real potatoes for their fries. All I know about their preparation is from observation but it seems that they are first steamed and then roughed up a bit to remove the skin. But...all of the skin isn't removed, which is key. Then the potato is run through a square cutter, but since potatoes are irregularly shaped there are these little slivers of potatoes that go into the oil. As you can imagine these little slivers get nice and crunchy and probably help to flavor the oil. And it's still fast-food cheap! And the burgers are really good, in a fast food sense, but not as good as White Manna.

Sorry if this was all off topic.

But I find the White Castle fries just as nondescript as White Manna, but in only a crinkly sense :cool:

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

I was in Manhattan last night and I stopped in a White Castle, I never knew there was on there. It was on 8th Ave and between 37th & 38th..... Just thought I would spread the word..

I would really like for WC to open some up here in the South. I search them out every time I head north of St Louis.

"Instead of orange juice, I'm going to use the juice from the inside of the orange."- The Brilliant Sandra Lee

http://www.matthewnehrlingmba.com

I would really like for WC to open some up here in the South.  I search them out every time I head north of St Louis.

But you don't have to go north of St. Louis, they still exist there! (although the huge group of Castles in and around Kansas City all closed down a few years back due to mismanagement)

As for further south/southeast? Well, there's always Krystal, right?

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

The best White Castle in the city is the one at the top of Arthur Avenue in the Bronx (on Fordham Road), because I can walk right by it on my way to Mike's Deli and be completely guilt-free.

White Castle burgers give me mountainous gas and tear my stomach up, and if you know the stuff I'll eat, that's really saying something.

:smile:

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

These days, however, when I get the craving, I usually go to Sassy's Sliders on 86th Street and Third Avenue. They are what White Castles would be if done with better ingredients and more care.

Better yet, follow up with a "chaser" next door of a couple of hot dogs at Papaya King. (best hot dogs around!) :biggrin:

to make frowen white castle hamburgers as much like the restaurant as possible try this trick. watch your fingers though. we two paper towels, wring them a bit but not too much. stack your two burgers ('cause it a froze pack) on top of eachother top bun to top bun. wrap in the wet paper towel and zap for a minuite or so. carefully open your bundle, attack with ketchup and eat fast. or perhaps a dumpling steamer? hmmmm.

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

I'm originally from Queens and grew up with a White Castle a mere 4 blocks from my boyhood home. Fast forward a decade later and I found myself in Chicago with a White Castle within close proximity. If someone else can verify this for me, why do the White Castles here in NY put ketchup on the burgers but the Chicago White Castles don't? Or is my memory flawed?

Also, a girl I dated recently was a big fan of the chicken rings.....Could someone tell me what part of the chicken might I find "the ring" from?

I've never bothered to keep track because I'm pretty flexible when it comes to condiments, but in my travels back and forth across North America I have noticed all sorts of regional variations in the default application of ketchup, mustard and mayo to fast-food sandwiches.