• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sherry question

pam claughton

I started my sherry drinking with Dry Sack and loved it. I'm on a Hartley & Gibson Amontillado and fino jag at the moment. When I win the lottery let's go to Spain and find the good stuff, hmmmm?! :rolleyes:

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

I drink Dry Sack. Have for years. Also use it to cook with. There are better sherries out there, but I still think Dry Sack is darn acceptable.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I used to like Dry Sack on the rocks with a wee squeeze of lime in it. Quite the tasty aperitif.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

It's like being fond of red wine and finding Merlot. It's a good place to start, but the real discovery is ahead of you. There are various styles, and within those a degree of quality. I started with amontillado and moved to the oloroso (richer and darker, generally served after a meal) and then to good fino(served before a meal, or with a meal when it's hot out).

Find a wine shop that has a good range of sherry, then let them guide you. If there isn't a shop you feel confident in, or if you'd like a solid place to start, then get in touch with The Spanish Table (http://www.spanishtable.com/). They're much more friendly than their website would imply.

Before you know it you'll be making fun of cream sherries and trying to figure out how to afford one of every style without going broke.

If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

Jumping into sherry in the dry end of the pool may be a bit dangerous, try it chilled or on the rocks with a twist as an apertif, or to accompany the soup/salad course. Dry sherry is one of the few wines that can stand up to a vinaigrette.

Dry Sack is a very serviceable sherry but you may want one with a touch of residual sugar as well - Gonzalez Byass Nutty Solera Oloroso is a good choice with wide distribution - for post dinner by the fire with nuts and figs. MMMMMMMM.

Edited by 2roost (log)

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

I started discovering sherry only a year ago. So far the most reliable producer I've found is Emilio Lustau, which seems to be pretty widely available. Personally I prefer drier sherries such as the Lustau Amontillado Los Arocos to the sweeter Oloroso and Pedro Ximenez sherries. Lustau's dry Paolo Cortado is also good.