• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

East Coast vs. West Coast palates

Carolyn Tillie

I would think that east coast tends more towards blends and west coast tends to be single variatels.

Actually, most of our East Coast friends tend to heavily favor (but not always) Euro wines (French/Italian/Austrian/German), whilst our west coast buddies tend to bend more towards (but not always) west coast and down under vino.

If there's an east - west palate split, that's the biggest one I see. But it's by no means a clear split. I think there's more being made out of this then there ought to be.

Just my 2 oz.,

geo

George Heritier aka geo t.

The Gang of Pour

What about "I DRINK WINES WITH FOOD!"" do these people not understand?

Huh. I always order from the wine list first and then select something edible to go with it. :unsure:

Me too Rose! I like to joke that I buy the earrings first and then an outfit to match... but perhaps I'm looking at wine the wrong way (even though I choose it first)... to me it is the main meal (though food helps to enhance its flavors and absorb the alcohol).

Natalie MacLean

Wine Newsletter Writer

www.nataliemaclean.com