• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

3 Nights in DC

adrober

I'm sure there are many threads like this in the DC forum, but I have VERY special requirements that need to be met. OK, not really. Here are some factors:

- I'm staying in DuPont circle.

- My friend and I would like to have one fancy-ish dinner. I read something a few months back in Bon Apetit or Gourmet about some superstar chef in DC. Anyone know who that is? Can I get a reservation there?

- Then some not-so-fancy but still delicious places.

Thanks

Adrober

The Amateur Gourmet

www.amateurgourmet.com

I'm sure there are many threads like this in the DC forum, but I have VERY special requirements that need to be met.  OK, not really.  Here are some factors:

-  I'm staying in DuPont circle.

-  My friend and I would like to have one fancy-ish dinner.  I read something a few months back in Bon Apetit or Gourmet about some superstar chef in DC.  Anyone know who that is?  Can I get a reservation there?

-  Then some not-so-fancy but still delicious places.

Thanks

Adrober

The October issue of Gourmet featured Michel Richard of Michel Richard Citronelle on the cover. Prime time reservations go quickly, so call as soon as you can. In Dupont you might enjoy: Firefly, Johnny's Half Shell, Pesce, Obelisk, Bistrot du Coin, Sette and Nora.

Mark

Marcel's -- a step down from Citronelle but well into the realm of "fancy-ish".

Before you go to Citronelle, you have to promise that you've learned from Charlie Trotter's and will properly appreciate formal service and haute cuisine. :laugh:

Edited by Busboy (log)

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Marcel's -- a step down from Citronelle but well into the realm of "fancy-ish".

Before you go to Citronelle, you have to promise that you've learned from Charlie Trotter's and will properly appreciate formal service and haute cuisine. :laugh:

Although possibly Citronelle does not take itself quite as seriously as Trotter's (and Per Se for that matter). This is meant as a compliment, not an indication of lack of aspiration or quality.

Bill Russell

Don't forget the Tabard Inn, a lovely place (with couches and a fireplace in the parlor for lounging before or after the meal) with a great, fairly priced wine list, just off Dupont Circle on N St between 17th and 18th - here's a link to the website - www.tabardinn.com

I think you're thinking of Jose Andres, who runs Cafe Atlantico, Zaytinya and Jaleo in the district (w/ outposts of Jaleo in Arlington and Bethesda and another restaurant, Oyamel, also in Arlington).

None of his places are in Dupont, but are still worth taking a look at.

If you and your friend like red meat, then I strongly urge you to spend one of your nights at Ray's The Steaks in Arlington, VA. Although not in the Du Pont Circle ares, it's a short, 10 minute, cab ride away.

Simply put: Chef Landrum's steaks are the best in the DC area. Here is a link to the thread:

Rays The Steaks

One thing -- try to call ahead and be flexible with your time... this place is very popular!!!!

That sounds like Jose. Jose was named Chef of the Year by Bon Appetit in October and was included in Food & Wine's list of Tastemakers in November (they termed him the Approachable Avant-gardist). Anyway, if you want treat yourself to something really special, go to Jose's minibar during your visit to DC, http://www.cafeatlantico.com/miniBar.html.

"Well, there's egg and bacon; egg sausage and bacon; egg and spam; egg bacon and spam; egg bacon sausage and spam; spam bacon sausage and spam; spam egg spam spam bacon and spam; spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam; spam spam spam egg and spam; spam spam spam spam spam spam baked beans spam spam spam or Lobster Thermidor a Crevette with a mornay sauce served in a Provencale manner with shallots and aubergines garnished with truffle pate, brandy and with a fried egg on top and spam. "