• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WOW-2003 Planeta La Segreta Rosso

Coop

Planeta La Segreta Rosso 2003

Medium red with violet rim, very young looking. Cherry, menthol, oak, caramel. Soft but tight, drying, ALCOHOL, medium wieght, Dry acidic finish. I like this wine, it's a bit hot compared to past vintages. It is quite different then the measuring post wine for me from Sicily, Morgante Nero d'Avola which is all about leather, saddle and currant. The Morgante is all about balance. I find this wine to be a bit out of balance because of the 14.5% level of alcohol. I would buy it again though. I have found though that Belguardo Seretta di Belguardo 2001 is being blown out in our area for just $6.00 more then this wine. Also good for less money is the 2003 Vitiano from Falesco and the 2001 Monte Antico.

I think that this is a wine I will check in with every vintage though.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

Amazing! I just found this wine here in Tokyo. I was seriously doubting that I would ever get to play along. Granted I found it here for about $25/bottle, but if that's the price I must pay to play, so be it.

Seriously, it was approximately $25. Sad to say, that's not entirely out of line with wine prices here. I've often got easy access to stuff that other people have a hard time getting, but I have to pay. I guess in a market where so many people will pay the price, limited wines are well distributed. For example, as long as I act with reasonable speed, I have not had any trouble getting my case of Rafanelli zin. Think it's about time to break into a 2001.

Poor but well supplied in Tokyo...

Notes to come...

Jim

Jim Jones

London, England

Never teach a pig to sing. It only wastes your time and frustrates the pig.

David,

The only Planetas that I've had were the Segreta Rosso 2000, 2001 and 2002.

I haven't found the vintages to differ that much either. The climate's fairly constant during the growing season. I've been there 3 times just prior to harvest and it's always sunny with an occasional t-storm in October. The best Sicilian reds that I've had come from the Vittoria-Avola area south of Syracuse or Mazara del Vallo.

Cusamanno (Benuara?) makes a great Nero d'Avola/Syrah blend for about $15.

Here is some interesting information on the wineries grape blends:

Planeta’s Wines

La Segreta Bianco - Grecanico, Chardonnay, Viognier, Sauvignon Blanc, and Fiano. Annual production 240,000 bottles

La Segreta Rosso - Nero d’Avola, Merlot, and Syrah

Cerasuolo di Vittoria - 40% Frappato, 60% Nero d’Avola

Alastro - 50% Grecanico, 25% Chardonnay barrel fermented and 25% Chardonnay from stainless steel tank fermentation

Santa Cecilia - 100% Nero d’ Avola

Chardonnay - 100% Chardonnay

Cometa - 100% Fiano

Syrah - 100% Syrah

Merlot - 100% Merlot

Burdese - 100% Cabernet Sauvignon

I wonder how much influence the vintage has on Sicilian wines? I have found all the 2002s I have tried to be much like the 2001s and the 2000 for that matter.

I was able to have my the Planeta La Segreta Roso last night. I served it with mediterranean chicken (with lemons and capers). I wasn't so sure I was going to like this based on first "sniff". It had a very strong chemical smell that I thought I wasn't going to be able to get past. Every time I would smell it I would nearly cough. My first sip just disappeard on my tongue. I decided not to taste anymore until I let it open up while I prepared dinner and I'm glad I did. I liked it much better with food. I tasted licorice backed with some heat. No taste lingered more than a few seconds and I was left with that feeling that tannins always leave on my teeth. The same thing I get when I eat spinach. I definitely didn't love this wine but it did pair well with the chicken. I have another bottle and look forward to trying it again.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

Just bought a bottle last week here in Edmonton, AB at the Sunterra Cellar. Retail there was, IIRC, $17-something. I tasted it at the store, initial impression was "hot" (high alcohol, go figure) and tannic, with some late fruit. Obviously, I was interested enough to try a bottle. Haven't opened it yet, but I plan to within the next day or two.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

La Segreta Roso displays a lovely purple body and a nose full of sweet overripe cherries as well as wet hay and leather. The mouthfeel is is relatively light and the taste confirms the cherry flavors (albeit with a little bit of spice) and features nicely balanced acidity and tannins. The fruitiness makes the wine very approachable and a nice partner for lighter foods such as chicken and pork.

My first exposure to the Nero d'Avola grape sod I'm not sure I can pinpoint its characteristics but you can definitely detect the softer merlot flavors in the blend.

All in all, a nice selection which provides an introduction, for me at least, to a grape variety and region I had previously not explored.

Edited by Brent Kulman (log)

• 2 weeks later...
Brent if you want to try Nero on it's own the real standard for me is the Morgante. It's about the same price as this wine and is 100% Nero. It has the classic leather and saddle nose.

Coop -

Thanks for the suggestion. We were at a local Italian restaurant the other night and I noticed the Morgante Nero on the wine list (as well as the Planeta La Segreta Rosso, by the way) for $30 so I gave it a try. What a nice bottle of wine! And compared to all the super Tuscans on the list for twice the price, at least, what a tremendous value. Thanks for expanding my range of experience.