• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WOW-2003 Planeta La Segreta Rosso

Coop

Geo T. passed on the cupbearer honour to me and I have selected the above wine. Here is an interesting quote from Ms. Planeta the wine maker:

"Sicily is rudely dismissed by northern Italians, who insist that the island's Mafioso reputation is well-founded, but vineyard owner Francesca Planeta dismisses such slights with a wave of her hand. "

"Family affair: Francesca and Alessio Planeta in their vineyards near the Sicilian town of Noto "People always say, 'Sicily, ah, the Mafia,' as if nothing else ever happened here,'' she says. "But I want them to talk instead about the wine." Hardly surprising, given that Francesca and her winemaker cousin Alessio have thrown Sicilian wine into the limelight with their funkily labelled Planeta wines."

The makeup of the wine is 60% Nero d"Avola, 40% Merlot. It retails in Vancouver for $23.95. I expect it to be much less in the U.S.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

Planeta makes very good wines, but I've always shied away from them because their better known wines tend to be varietals from other areas and relatively speaking they are more expensive than other Sicilian wines of similar quality, but lesser reputation. Perhaps I should give La Segreta Rosso another chance?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I'm ordering mine today from Mad Wine in Bellevue (Seattle), Washington. Kevin at Mad Wine says to let him know if you want the wine shipped immediately, because by Wednesday they tend to hold shipments until Monday due to potentially adverse weather conditions.

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

John glad to hear you will give it another try. In our market (Vancouver) we are just starting to get a decent selection of Sicilian wines, although they are mostly Nero (this years black).

Your menu sounds great Mike, good to see some Vancouver participation.

David Cooper

Here is some interesting information on the wineries grape blends:

Planeta’s Wines

La Segreta Bianco - Grecanico, Chardonnay, Viognier, Sauvignon Blanc, and Fiano. Annual production 240,000 bottles

La Segreta Rosso - Nero d’Avola, Merlot, and Syrah

Cerasuolo di Vittoria - 40% Frappato, 60% Nero d’Avola

Alastro - 50% Grecanico, 25% Chardonnay barrel fermented and 25% Chardonnay from stainless steel tank fermentation

Santa Cecilia - 100% Nero d’ Avola

Chardonnay - 100% Chardonnay

Cometa - 100% Fiano

Syrah - 100% Syrah

Merlot - 100% Merlot

Burdese - 100% Cabernet Sauvignon

I wonder how much influence the vintage has on Sicilian wines? I have found all the 2002s I have tried to be much like the 2001s and the 2000 for that matter.

Edited by Coop (log)

David Cooper

Excellent Jean. I hope to see your notes. BTW can we get some idea of the price for this wine in your area?

Coop, I will certainly post some notes on the '03 when I find it and try it. I was out looking yesterday and had no luck! :hmmm:

The '02 was in the neighborhood of $14, though. I did manage to find some on sale for $10 and change, and that was when I loaded up. Sadly though, it is all gone!

All the best,

Jean

I opened a bottle of this on Saturday night, we had friends in for dinner, and it made a fantastic choice.

I think of this wine a being Aussie shiraz for people tired of Aussie shiraz. As much as I love big alcoholic fruity wine, sometimes they get to be too much. It resembles a shiraz to my pallette with finesse. Kinda what Aussie shiraz wants to be when it grows up. More refined, more subtle and way more sophisticated.

Cheers

Cool! This wine is (in theory at least) available at PA "Specialty" stores. I'll see if I can pick one up and play too. I used to serve the Planeta La Segreta Bianco 1999 as a by-the-glass wine at Striped Bass. Everyone loved it.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

And I guess I'm two for two (that won't happen again, soon!)...

Anyhow, in my neck of the woods and with a little research, eminently discoverable. $14 a bottle...

A very nice, well balanced Italian red - rather in the tradition of a Chianti Classico (albeit lighter). Noticed prior poster suggested a coupling with merguez, so we tried with cassoulet (duck); don't think it married well. I bought 3 of these, since I had the opportunity, and I'd venture a guess that the better pairing is a good cut of steak properly grilled. We found the wine straight forward, clean without alot of gravitas or contemplation (tho' still 14%). At the cheese platter, better with the stiff cheeses than the runny.

Very different than last WOW offering and - don't get me wrong - delicious. Thank you for the suggestion...

~waves

"When you look at the face of the bear, you see the monumental indifference of nature. . . . You see a half-disguised interest in just one thing: food."

Werner Herzog; NPR interview about his documentary "Grizzly Man"...

2003 Planeta La Segreta Rosso 14% alc.

Yay. It finally arrived!

Pretty dark ruby color.

Upon opening—hey, I waited five minutes—freshly mown grass, herbs after summer rain, wet pine and wet dog. A little acetone, but also hints of licorice. On the one hand, I find the aroma off-putting, but on the other hand, it's not a nebulous funkiness--the aroma has clearly defined characteristics, which I find interesting.

Surprisingly soft mouthfeel. I like the deep cherry flavors. Good acid. The nose still assaults me as I approach each sip so for me there's an aroma-to-flavor dichotomy. Maybe I should just stop sniffing and start quaffing.

The finish has lip-smacking tannins, which are naturally to be expected from a young vintage, but I think it has a nice tannin and acid balance.

And then, after being open for 15-20 minutes and coming back to it, it's suddenly getting much more round. Hmm. Is it me or the wine getting rounder?

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook