• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cafe Danton Espresso

jmagay

Hi,

Any idea what coffee is used at the Cafe Danton in Paris? It is located off St.Germain about opposite the Odeon metro. We've been trying to duplicate the thick, sweetish, taste and consistancy at home with mixed results.

Jim

I haven't a clue but will be in Paris the week of January 15 - 23 (my first trip there and really looking forward to the visit!). I've added that to my very short list of places to check out coffee and hot chocolate and will see if I can get a handle on what equipment and espresso blend they're using.

Thickish consistency usually indicates a ristretto shot (slightly finer grind for restricted water flow). A ristretto shot will typically be pulled in about the same time as a standard shot but will yield a reduced volume of fluid - anywhere from .75 oz to 1.5 oz for a double shot vs the 2.0 to 2.5 oz size of a "standard" double shot. A thick or almost syrup consistency also usually indicates an abundance of crema - the reddish thick foamy substance floating on top of the shot - it's where the most intensely flavorful componenets of espresso are carried and delivered to the palate.

"Sweetness" (a relative term since some people think all espresso tastes bitter - even the sweeter shots) is usally a result of both dead-on temperature accuracy in the shot pulling process and also the type of beans and roast level of the blend used.

Not sure if I'll really glean any useful information but I'll have fun doing the research and you just informed me of what may be my best bet for decent espresso in Paris (something that other peopel have told me is very difficult to find).

Hope your trip is as much fun as ours was. We also went to Angelina's on the Rue de Rivoli and really enjoyed their Chocolat Africaine. If you are staying in the 6th arrondissment you'll enjoy a visit to Gerard Mulot's Patisserie/Boulangerie just around the corner from Le Danton. The address is Gerard Mulot: 76 rue de Seine, Paris 6. Metro: Odeon or St. Germain des Pres.