• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fresh Pig Hocks

bandregg

I've started to have an uncontrollable desire for schweinhaxen, the slow roast pig hock found in beer halls in Munich and the rest of Bavaria. Has anyone seen a fresh pig hock at the market? I'll call Fowlers later to see if they have or can get one, but I thought I'd ask here first.

Bryan C. Andregg

"Give us an old, black man singing the blues and some beer. I'll provide the BBQ."

I've started to have an uncontrollable desire for schweinhaxen, the slow roast pig hock found in beer halls in Munich and the rest of Bavaria. Has anyone seen a fresh pig hock at the market? I'll call Fowlers later to see if they have or can get one, but I thought I'd ask here first.

I'm not where you are, but I can assure you that you'll have no trouble finding them in the US south. Especially this time of year when Ham Hocks & Black Eyed Peas is practically the required dish for folks in that region.

Just call them ham hocks. You should be able to find them at any local grocery store.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

• 1 month later...
I'm not where you are, but I can assure you that you'll have no trouble finding them in the US south. Especially this time of year when Ham Hocks & Black Eyed Peas is practically the required dish for folks in that region.Just call them ham hocks. You should be able to find them at any local grocery store.

The problem is that in the south, the hocks are smoked.You need fresh hocks.Here is a source:https://www.bavariasausage.com/shop/index.p...ecategory_id=59

Tesco and most large supermarkets sell them in the UK. Cheap too!

What is the definitive way to cook, other than spit-roast?

Is there a boiled version?

I've had them boiled and they are quite insipid.

The Bavrian spit-roasted method is the way to go, and after visiting Munich around this time last year, I know why bandregg is seeking to duplicate the experience on this side of the pond.

In the American south, 'hamhocks and blackeyed peas' is one of the most-beloved dishes. They are boiled. You season the water with celery, onions, green peppers, bay leaves, oregano, garlic....etc......whatever you want.....and you boil the ham hocks along with the blackeyed peas. You serve them with cornbread and greens and some hot sauce, like Tabasco.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I've had them boiled and they are quite insipid.

And I've eaten them boiled all my life and they were never insipid. If yours were, then I'd say they were prepared by an insipid cook.

Most things, if simply dumped into non-flavored water and boiled, turn out insipid. That's why you have to add some flavorings. :cool:

Edited to add: After that silly 'insipid' crack, I've thought about it a little more seriously. When I make my hamhocks & blackeyed peas, I usually boil them in chicken broth to which I add a little beer along with the seasonings.

Insipid indeed. Honestly. :hmmm:

And one other thing. I lived in Germany for four years, and still travel there frequently. I agree that the roasted versions are delicious. I don't, however, believe that it's an "either or" proposition. I frankly believe one can have both versions, depending on the occasion. Or one's mood. Or both.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

If you can get access to the October 1997 issue of Gourmet magazine, on page 250 under Forbidden Pleasures, you will find a wonderful recipe for “Crackling Pork Shank.” The author of the article claimed that he was lured by a New York Times restaurant review of Maloney & Porcelli, in midtown Manhattan, wherein the critic praised a dish of crackling pork shank, “an enormous mound of tender pork wrapped in its own crisp skin and served on an aromatic bed of poppyseed-sprinkled sauerkraut.” I cook this to reward myself each time I get a clean bill of health from my cardiologist.

Gato ming gato miao busca la vida para comer

I cook this to reward myself each time I get a clean bill of health from my cardiologist.

That'll show him. :biggrin:

I think I'll try to find that recipe online somewhere but, if not, might PM you for it.

And I've eaten them boiled all my life and they were never insipid.  If yours were, then I'd say they were prepared by an insipid cook.

When I was in Munich the only schweinhaxen I ate were spit roasted so while perhaps they can be boiled to good effect, I never experienced it. By contrast, when I returned to this country I went on a binge to find restaurants that served them and all I found were the boiled version. That was a tremendous disappointment and my conclusion was that eating boiled schweinhaxen was about as exciting as eating boiled ribs.

And I've eaten them boiled all my life and they were never insipid.  If yours were, then I'd say they were prepared by an insipid cook.
By contrast, when I returned to this country I went on a binge to find restaurants that served them and all I found were the boiled version. That was a tremendous disappointment and my conclusion was that eating boiled schweinhaxen was about as exciting as eating boiled ribs.

I'm not doubting that what you ate was "about as exciting...."

But like I said..... :cool: