• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's New Kitchen

Varmint

Absolutely beautiful Varmit. I am sure you will have many happy family memories made in this new room :biggrin:

Questions:

1) How did you manage to join the marble slab to the granite so there is no seam for debris to collect - did you just use the grout form the granite against the marble?

2) I remember early in the thread when you were making your choice of contractor - you chose the young, hungry contractor vs the more experienced busier one. Was this untilmately a good choice and have you been happy with this decision?

3) I know the specs are somewhere upthread, but are both your ovens 36" wide? They look gorgeous! GE Monogram convection or what make?

Thanks for your time.

Life is short, eat dessert first

Absolutely beautiful Varmit.  I am sure you will have many happy family memories made in this new room  :biggrin:

1)  How did you manage to join the marble slab to the granite so there is no seam for debris to collect - did you just use the grout form the granite against the marble?

We'll be putting in a light gray grout there today.

2)  I remember early in the thread when you were making your choice of contractor - you chose the young, hungry contractor vs the more experienced busier one.  Was this untilmately a good choice and have you been happy with this decision?

I've been completely happy with this decision. First of all, this project would have gone way over budget had I worked with the GC, as these guys have been efficient and are also quite cheap -- the 3-man crew is costing me $65 per hour! Moreover, the main guy knows what he's doing and we've developed a great working relationship. We haven't agreed on every issue, but the end result, through a lot of dialogue, has always been super. We also like all 3 guys -- I've taken them out to lunch several times, and when this project is complete, I'll cook each of them and their wives/girlfriends a nice meal (along with our electrician). They should get some non-economic benefit out of this job, too! I'll also say the kids will miss them when the job is over. They've been super around all four kids, but particularly my 6 year old son.

3)  I know the specs are somewhere upthread, but are both your ovens 36" wide?  They look gorgeous!  GE Monogram convection or what make?

The range is a 36" GE Monogram dual fuel, thus the oven in it is a large electric convection. The wall oven is a 30" Monogram convection. I haven't baked anything in them yet, so I can't talk about performance. They sure do look good, though!

I just got word that we passed the electrical inspection, so we're onto our final inspection. Hell, we might move in this weekend after all! Seeing we have 5 house guests descending upon us, that's a good thing.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I can't wait to see what you tink of the GE Monogram since that is what I have settled on. Is that also the GE vent hood? I am getting the 48" range since I don't have wall ovens and will have the larger hood but I am interested in what all is "under the hood." I seem to remember that there were some options.

Your granite tiles look terrific. Now I am wondering if there is such a thing as soapstone tiles. I really don't want to spend the money on a slab type stone counter but I might be talked into tiles. If money were no object, my choice would be soapstone.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

The hood is a Vent-a-Hood. I went with that after lots of research, and this was the best option primarily because it's pretty easy to clean. The blower/filters can just go in the dishwasher.

We have noticed one interesting "problem" with the granite tile. When we turn on the low voltage lights over the eating bar, the mirrored finish of the tiles results in a reflection onto the ceiling. Well, the grout doesn't reflect, so you see these lines running across the ceiling. It was pretty funny, as we first thought there was some major imperfections with the ceiling, when it was just the lighting issue. Not much that we can do with that, though!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Thanks for the hood tip. I went to the web site and I am liking that design the more that I think about it. There is a dealer near here so I am going to go "kick the tires." I like what they say about QUIET. That has been one of those things that I have found difficult to get any data on. Quiet is important to me.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I'm not sure if any hood is truly quiet. It takes noise to move air quickly, and if you're trying to maintain a conversation while working at the range with a couple of burners going, it's not going to be easy. However, it's quieter than other hoods I researched.

The design I chose is very simple, but it fits this particular kitchen. It does a remarkable job, and it has a feature that automatically causes it to kick into a higher-CFM mode when a certain amount of heat is generated. I've liked its performance so far, but it's terribly premature to give any constructive guidance.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Yeah . . . You can't move air and not expect some noise. The quietest I ever had was years ago. It was a custom job and the squirrel cage blower was mounted pretty high up in the duct. I don't remember the filter arrangement though. There are several simple designs that will work just fine in my kitchen. The more I have now read about it, I think you have saved me from hood hell. :biggrin: Thanks.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

YEAH!! We passed the last inspection, so we can start moving back in. Of course, the workers have all their stuff in our pantry, so that limits movement a bit. I also have a meeting that doesn't end until 8:30 or so, but that just means I'll have to work into the wee hours!

First step, cleaning out the cabinets and installing shelves. Then I start moving stuff into lower cabinets. From there, I haven't a clue!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Congratulations!

Here's my new range.  She's a beauty, eh?

gallery_137_803_28433.jpg

I kept staring at that picture, trying to figure out what looked wrong to me... There's no pot filler! That backsplash looks too big and open to me.

Here's mine, see the pot filler?

kitchen1.jpg

We have noticed one interesting "problem" with the granite tile.  When we turn on the low voltage lights over the eating bar, the mirrored finish of the tiles results in a reflection onto the ceiling.  Well, the grout doesn't reflect, so you see these lines running across the ceiling.  It was pretty funny, as we first thought there was some major imperfections with the ceiling, when it was just the lighting issue.  Not much that we can do with that, though!

When you buy more bulbs, see if they have flood vs. spot lights. The spot lights would cause a sharper reflection than the flood, so perhaps flood lights would reduce the grid pattern?

Pot fillers?? Pot fillers? We don't need no stinkin' pot fillers! Seriously, though, I have no reason for a pot filler when I have the prep sink just a 90 degree pivot away. With a high faucet, it obviates any need for one.

As far as the bulbs are concerned, these are floods. It's just that the granite is very, very shiny. Hell, if it were solid granite, we'd have a similar effect at the edges. It's really not bad at all, just sort of comical.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Actually, that grid reflection sounds kinda cool.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Varmint, quick question please:

Your hood size, capacity, ducted to outside, brand, source, cost, other specs

Thank you

VentaHood, 36"w by 24"deep, 2 blowers at 300 cfm each (but they have a higher equivalent due to the VentaHood technology). This is vented straight up to the roof -- only about 5 feet due to the roof's pitch. The cost was mentioned earlier in this thread -- something like $1,500 -- the source is listed there as well.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I've been moving in as quickly as I can. Am making scallops with mushroom ragout on cheese grits for our guests along with strawberry shortcake. I'll eventually get "final" pictures (and some before and afters), but the place is a wreck right now. I'm actually almost too tired to cook!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Perhaps the coolest thing about this kitchen is the lighting. The fixtures I added to the recessed ceiling lights are the coolest. The edges of these fixtures exude this very cool blue. I'm very pleased with this last minute choice of lighting accoutrement.

Dinner is over. We bagged the dessert, as my in-laws brought over some some banana walnut cookies. Damn, they're good.

So, I need to hit the "organization" store tomorrow. I need help with the drawers.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Perhaps the coolest thing about this kitchen is the lighting.  The fixtures I added to the recessed ceiling lights are the coolest.  The edges of these fixtures exude this very cool blue.  I'm very pleased with this last minute choice of lighting accoutrement.

. . . . .

OK. You lost me there. Is there something you did with the regular recessed lights? I mean, I got the bit about the blue shades on the halogen lights over the eating bar. What else is there?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

I'll get the final pictures up later this week. First, however, I must say that it is not a good idea to have five houseguests (and 7-9 dinner guests) on the weekend you're trying to move back into your kitchen. Nothing gets accomplished the way you want it to.

Anyhow, Mrs. Varmint has installed new shelving in the pantry, and we're 95% complete with the unpacking. We have a few things remaining that we don't know where to put them, but it should be done tonight.

Strangely, I've come down from my euphoria, and don't have any great eagerness to cook much. I'm excited about the kitchen, of course, but until it's completely settled, it's just work.

As far as the recessed lights are concerned, rather than using a traditional metal or plastic can, we used a blue glass housing. When the lights are on, the edges glow a nice, warm blue. It's very nice!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

amazing transformation into this gorgeous kitchen, Varmint! envy, envy! :raz::biggrin:

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

The unpacking is not complete, Susan. The houseguests prevented me from getting that done, and I'll not be at home the next two evenings, so it'll be later in the week for those final photos. Sorry for the delay, but I want to get it right! Plus, I need to be sure to get proper camera angles so I can fully capture the before and after effects.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Dean, I keep meaning to tell you that your new kitchen is just (kinda) like mine. I mean, I've got a blue wall ---- well laminate counter tops instead of granite ---- a simple Kenmore stove ---- no pantry ----- old lighting --- old staniless sink ----- a LOT smaller ----- Hey, our kitchens aren't much alike!!!!!

Seriously, yours looks great and I'm sure you'll enjoy it tremendously and turn out many a great meal for the clan and guests.

Best wishes,

Sidecar Ron