• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's New Kitchen

Varmint

Um, Darcie, you have to call them to let them know the work is ready to be inspected. At least in my area. There is a record of a permit being taken out for work on the property, if there is never a sign off of an inspector at the conclusion of the work you could have problems transfering the property if you are ever to sell it. Of course, I live in a suburb of NYC and we're just bureaucracy crazy, West (By God) Virginia may be different. :wink:

I cooked my first meal in my new kitchen tonight. Only one inspector showed up, so I said, to hell with them!

I did a simple stir fry of chicken thigh meat with vegetables.

Here's my new range. She's a beauty, eh?

gallery_137_803_28433.jpg

gallery_137_803_36349.jpg

gallery_137_803_58155.jpg

The view of the grate.

gallery_137_803_44038.jpg

If you flip any of the grates over, you end up with an instant wok ring. Cool, eh?

gallery_137_803_6018.jpg

A shot of the eating bar.

gallery_137_803_53734.jpg

This is the color we're painting the walls. Lots of blue in this kitchen. The ceiling, doors, and trim will be white.

gallery_137_803_80563.jpg

I guess it's time to show some food, seeing this is a food organization! Here's the stir fry on my new, cheap Ikea plates. They go well with the kitchen.

gallery_137_803_50257.jpg

And a close up.

So, more work tomorrow!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Um, Darcie, you have to call them to let them know the work is ready to be inspected. At least in my area. There is a record of a permit being taken out for work on the property, if there is never a sign off of an inspector at the conclusion of the work you could have problems transfering the property if you are ever to sell it. Of course, I live in a suburb of NYC and we're just beurocracy crazy, West (By God) Virginia may be different. :wink:

In many sad, unfortunate ways, West BG Virginia is quite different than a NYC suburb. It is also different in pleasant ways (house payment, 2600 sf, 1/3 acre, nice middle class neighborhood, $600 on a 15 year note--includes insurance and property taxes). Anyhoo, I talked to some folks in the city gov't to determine the procedure on permits...I found out that any "inside" work does not need a permit (???). You are free to screw up the inside of your home as you see fit, I guess. Actually, when I got the permit I do recall one of the women stating that I didn't need one (I thought she didn't know what she was talking about, so I insisted.) I guess I wasted 15 whole dollars.

I forgot to ask about the deck, which did require a permit. Another call for another day.

EDIT to add: Ooh, I have stove envy! You're right, Varmint, the blue on the walls really brings out the blue flecks in the granite.

Edited by Darcie B (log)

Dean that range is beautiful! I wish I'd had room for a 36 inch one. The whole kitchen is amazing. I'm so thrilled for you!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Oh, how wonderful to cook in a new kitchen!

Nice work.

BTW, my logic says that since some of the plumbing had to be done because of a reason other than the kitchen, and since the electrical was bad to begin with and needed to be done anyway, you shouldn't tack those on to your budget.

More money for cookware and gadgets!

You did, however, neglect to report on range performance. Shame!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Envy is a great motivator--thank you! Your reports and pictures are an inspiration for finally summoning the courage to move ahead with my kitchen renovation plans. Please report back on appliances, esp. the range, once you've had a chance to play.

note--edited for hasty spelling mistakes.

Edited by LindaK (log)

I cooked my first meal in my new kitchen tonight.  Only one inspector showed up, so I said, to hell with them! 

I did a simple stir fry of chicken thigh meat with vegetables.

Here's my new range.  She's a beauty, eh?

gallery_137_803_28433.jpg

I had to go back and have a look at your latest punch-list. Sho 'nuff "Install Cabinet Knobs" was there! :laugh: Sorry, occupasional hazard ... it was the first thing I noticed.

How ARE you opening the cabinets BTW??

Nice range dude.

A.

Beautiful! You've been so great about getting the pictures posted and I can't wait to see more. :rolleyes: It's nice to see the development in stages, and while it's looking great now, it's going to be phenomenal once the painting is completed!

I'm also anxious to hear how you like your new wall oven (we are also considering the GE Monogram) Maybe the kids can sway you to bake some cookies for them?

How ARE you opening the cabinets BTW??

We haven't started to put anything in them yet, so it's not a problem. I'll be sure to get the pulls on this week, so I can start loading them up over the weekend.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Damn government inspectors. Plumbing inspector came and failed us because the plumber had a minor brain fart: he failed to clip the drainage hose between the dishwasher and the disposal such that it was higher than the disposal port. It would have taken me 3 minutes to clip that up, but he said that he didn't have time and to reschedule another inspection. Which costs $65. Of course, the plumber will be responsible for this, but it's ridiculous that he wouldn't just let that go, particularly when it was the only thing.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Remember what I said up-thread about arguing with inspectors? :biggrin:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Heh heh. Mrs. Varmint had a soccer game tonight, so I dug out the cast iron skillet and made myself a dry-aged strip steak with a rioja sauce, baked potato and broccoli. I drank the rest of the bottle of rioja. :wink:

I even broke out one of the new barstools and ate at the counter. Very nice!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Remember what I said up-thread about arguing with inspectors?  :biggrin:

Perhaps if Dean had had one of those dry aged strips sizzling away when the inspector was there, the inspection might have been a different story!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

We learned yesterday that the electrical inspector hasn't shown up yet because he's "on leave." Hmmmm. Anyhow, his caseload has been divided up between two other already overworked inspectors. I wonder when they'll show up.

Plumbing reinspection is to occur today. We have several house guests coming this weekend, so we need to get all this stuff done.

The remaining tasks are dwindling. I started putting the pulls on the cabinets myself last night -- 18 down, 30 to go!. I might as well save us some money here. The pulls do look good, though.

Lots of painting and trim work is being done now. Today or tomorrow will be the last day the full crew is here, and then there will be one guy to finish things up. This is the frustrating part of the process, as the final cosmetic stuff takes longer than you'd like. I'll get pictures up when you can see a noticeable difference from prior shots (i.e., when the blue paint goes up!).

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

It is odd that the last details seem to crawl. In my time I have had two custom and one builder house built and remodeled one. The big stuff seems to happen over night. The details drag on and on. I think it is part of the game. Then there is that one detail that "does it." I am going to speculate that your "it" detail will be the blue paint. :biggrin:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

The workers were able to get some blue paint up today, but not all the walls yet. I'll just throw up a bunch of photos without commentary for the most part.

gallery_137_803_24992.jpg

gallery_137_803_43920.jpg

gallery_137_803_43020.jpg

gallery_137_803_19782.jpg

gallery_137_803_17438.jpg

gallery_137_803_1715.jpg

gallery_137_803_39031.jpg

gallery_137_803_25961.jpg

gallery_137_803_18217.jpg

gallery_137_803_15436.jpg

gallery_137_803_16716.jpg

gallery_137_803_4191.jpg

The "Magic Corner"

gallery_137_803_11599.jpg

So that's where we are. Electrical inspector did not show, da bum!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I cannot believe that I am looking at the same kitchen you posted at the start of this thread. Are you pinching yourself? I would be if my kitchen looked like that.

great lighting, by the way.

Dean, it's absolutely gorgeous. Not only did you do a great job in the planning and execution, but it was very generous (and brave) of you to document the process for us. Bravo!

I guess now we'll have to assume that any butt-bumping at the Second Pig Pickin' is purely intentional :wink:

Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega

It is odd that the last details seem to crawl. In my time I have had two custom and one builder house built and remodeled one. The big stuff seems to happen over night. The details drag on and on. I think it is part of the game. Then there is that one detail that "does it." I am going to speculate that your "it" detail will be the blue paint.  :biggrin:

There's an engineering adage that says, "The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time, and the last 10% takes 90% of the time."

Dean, the kitchen is gorgeous. Inspectors or no inspectors, you must be ecstatic. I would be!

I've forgotten the details of that magic corner. Do those shelves have an interference fit, so they interleave and you have to remember not to take up all the space between shelves on the door? Or does the interior set retract as the door-mounted set moves in?

Lovely, just lovely. Congratulations!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I've forgotten the details of that magic corner.  Do those shelves have an interference fit, so they interleave and you have to remember not to take up all the space between shelves on the door?  Or does the interior set retract as the door-mounted set moves in?

As you close the door, the interior set slides back to the left, into the otherwise wasted space. It's a nice and efficient mechanism, and you have 4 baskets of useful space. I don't have a clue what's going to go in there. Be the first on your block to get a Magic Corner! :wink:

There's still quite a lot of work to be done, so don't think these photos represent the final product. We're close, but we'll be VERY close on Friday.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Dean, it's absolutely gorgeous. Not only did you do a great job in the planning and execution, but it was very generous (and brave) of you to document the process for us. Bravo!

I guess now we'll have to assume that any butt-bumping at the Second Pig Pickin' is purely intentional :wink:

It's been my pleasure to provide y'all with all the details, as this design would never have been as efficient as it is without the help of the eG Society members.

As far as butt-bumping is concerned, well, with enough Makers Mark, anything can happen!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Have you cooked since the inaguration?

As I posted above, I did make a few meals with the new range, simply because I HAD to try it out. I'm now waiting for the kitchen to be totally done, as until I'm able to move everything in, I don't want to cook too much there. The workers store all their materials in my pantry, and we plan to put up some new shelves in there. This further delays the transition.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites