• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's New Kitchen

Varmint

Cabinets arrived early this morning. Man, they're beautiful. Our house quickly filled up with these in place!

To make things even crazier, the appliances came today, too! That was somewhat unexpected, but now they're here. And they are beautiful, too! No dents or scratches. I'm very, very excited about my kitchen, as it's starting to take shape.

I'll try and post pictures tonight.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Very, very exciting!  How have you been eating?

Quite well. Last night I made a grilled vegetable salad and then a pasta with olive oil, garlic, grilled asparagus, grilled tuna and feta. Again, having a second kitchen has made this process not only tolerable, but quite fun.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I am beginning to think that it is not only your good planning that is having a positive affect on your experience. I am thinking that your, and your family's attitude, has a lot to do with it. I am so glad you are having fun!

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Very, very exciting!  How have you been eating?

Some way he always does. He just grabs up a big handful and shoves it in his pie hole (although in his case "bbq hole is probably more accurate). It's a pretty scary sight. When dining with Dean, one needs to keep all hands clear of his plate lest they be chomped off.

I am very pleased that the cabinets turned out so well. Now I can get on with ordering mine, as I was waiting to get Dean's opinion. THe best part is that I can save shipping, as I can drive up there in about 3.5 hours and I have access to a truck to carry them back in. Can't wait to see the photos.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Does that mean that you are actually going to get your kitchen back together, Brooks? Geez. You may need to bump up your thread. :laugh:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Until I see a guy with a compressor and some wood in his truck (a guy who is NOT me) I will not bring it back up. That thread should be active by the end of the month. I am tired of camping out. THere has been lots of progress made, but almost none of it is in the kitchen. But I have a swell new laundry room, the framing of a nice pantry, and I will soon have a fabulous new roof over my head. Life got a bit complicated this winter on the home front, but we are back in full attack mode. Hopefully the kitchen will start coming together around April 1.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Oooooo . . . April Fool's :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Cabinet Installation, Day 1.

Much of the day was spent organizing the cabinets and making sure the window was in the exact right place (the carpenters left themselves a little wiggle room, just in case!).

At 7:25 this morning, I got a call from Russell, the driver for Cabinetry Direct. Russell left the factory in Nettleton, Mississippi yesterday morning and although he could have made it here in a day, took his time, taking a few naps along the way. When he opened the back of the trailer, I asked, "Is all that mine?" Of course it was! It was another hour before my crew arrived to haul the stuff into the house. I inspected every piece, commenting on how beautiful it looked. Then, we ran into a problem -- they did two of the upper cabinets wrong, with finished end panels on the wrong ends. I was quite surprised. Of course, Russell then pointed out that we had those upper cabinets upside down!!!! :wacko: So, in the end, everything was perfect!

I got into work shortly after 10AM, got a little bit done, and then at 11AM got a phone call from the truck driver who was hauling my appliances. Not only that, but he was 15 minutes away from my house! Well, I headed right back home, and Driver Mike pulled his 18-wheeler beside the house. He pulled off the range and hood. We uncrated the range in the driveway, inspected it, and began to salivate! Man, it's a nice piece of equipment. I let the "crew" carry it into the house, saving my back. :wink: In came the wall oven, the dishwasher, the hood, the disposals. It's too cool! My family and living rooms were quite crowded. I then headed back to work.

When I got home, the cabinet installation had begun. And so, I offer you these photos.

gallery_137_803_29580.jpg

A view of the kitchen from the laundry room.

gallery_137_803_7150.jpg

The full size cabinet at the far wall has pull out drawers on the bottom. The hole in the middle is for the microwave. There's a base cabinet beside it, then a trash pull-out, and the sink base cabinet. The first upper cabinet has been installed, and you can see our new window.

gallery_137_803_5722.jpg

The trash pull-out. I have two of these, the second by the sink at the eating bar.

gallery_137_803_26910.jpg

Here's a different view of the new window.

gallery_137_803_807.jpg

The sink base cabinet has these flip-down features to house sponges and the like.

gallery_137_803_991.jpg

This gives you an idea of how the cabinets were wrapped. They were very well protected. That big cabinet is my "magic corner", which is way, way cool.

gallery_137_803_24367.jpg

This pictures starts to give you an idea of the open space I've created.

gallery_137_803_46131.jpg

This picture that includes the two L'il-est Varmints really shows the space.

gallery_137_803_34677.jpg

This picture of the cabinets that will go above the SubZeros shows some of the details in the work.

Needless to say, I'm pleased. Everything went smoothly today. Folks have called me crazy for doing all of this stuff over the internet, but I'm starting to prove them wrong. I hope I can continue to do so.

I'll post some more pictures before I leave for New Orleans, as the cabinets should be completely installed by then.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

OK . . . I have had my GulleyLaugh for the day . . .

Then, we ran into a problem -- they did two of the upper cabinets wrong, with finished end panels on the wrong ends. I was quite surprised. Of course, Russell then pointed out that we had those upper cabinets upside down!!!!

Those cabinets are lovely. You certainly are making a case for internet shopping. I have added that site to my "House Stuff" favorites folder. I was particularly impressed with your design experience with them. What kind of drawer glides did you opt for?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

What kind of drawer glides did you opt for?

The regular drawers have Blum Tandem full extension runners. The pull-out drawers in the cabinets have CV full extension pull-out guides. That's what the invoice says! Hinges, by the way, are Blum Compact 33.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Dean,

Will you be using hardware on the cabinets (I would imagine so) and where will you be getting the hardware from?

Knobs, pulls, or a combination?

Cheers and congats on the progress so far

-MJR

�As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.� - Ernest Hemingway, in �A Moveable Feast�

Brooklyn, NY, USA

Just popping in to say that I love your progress pictures! I also used cabinetry direct for my all-internet kitchen, and I am just thrilled with them. We "finished" about a month ago, but the punch list still lingers...

Here are mine, sans the nontraditional crown moulding Ken was able to acquire for me:

Rats...I seem to only be able to post a link. But both kitchen and bath cabinetry is CabDirect

Back to your regularly scheduled kitchen thread....I've been lurking a long time, and just wanted to chime in with another good CabDirect experience for anyone else who might be on the fence.

Varmint, your kitchen is really taking shape. Those cabinets are gorgeous! Can't wait to see more as it progresses.

jphilg, your home is lovely.

Edited by patti (log)

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

Varmint, your cabinets are gorgeous--the descriptions and web links you provided earlier did not prepare me for these pictures. I'm going to go back and find that lengthy budget you posted a while ago and figure out whether I can afford something like that in my (hopefully near) future kitchen renovations.

Not to distract but jphilg, what are your countertops? equally beautiful!

Varmint, your cabinets are gorgeous--the descriptions and web links you provided earlier did not prepare me for these pictures. I'm going to go back and find that lengthy budget you posted a while ago and figure out whether I can afford something like that in my (hopefully near) future kitchen renovations.

Not to distract but jphilg, what are your countertops? equally beautiful!

Linda, they are soapstone from Green Mountain Soapstone, "original". We are very happy with them, as well.

Jen

OK . . . I have had my GulleyLaugh for the day . . .
Then, we ran into a problem -- they did two of the upper cabinets wrong, with finished end panels on the wrong ends. I was quite surprised. Of course, Russell then pointed out that we had those upper cabinets upside down!!!!

:laugh::laugh: As I was reading that I said to myself "I wonder if he had them upside down?" Don't worry, I have installers that do the same thing!

Dean, you must be thrilled! This is always my favorite part of a remodel ... after weeks of looking at bare walls, things finally start to take shape. How soon after your cabinets are in are the countertops being done?

A.

Well, cabinet installation isn't going as quickly as expected. First, the walls, floors and ceilings of this house aren't the most square in the world. Second, this is a fairly complex installation. However, it should be completely done tomorrow. Here's where they are today.

gallery_137_803_199488.jpg

gallery_137_803_235440.jpg

gallery_137_803_84929.jpg

gallery_137_803_137609.jpg

The next photos will not be posted for 11 or 12 days, after I return from New Orleans. So, I expect there will be a significant amount of work done in the interim.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

The next photos will not be posted for 11 or 12 days, after I return from New Orleans.  So, I expect there will be a significant amount of work done in the interim.

This is cruel and unusual punishment! :shock: Can't you ask your contractor to post pics of the progress while you're gone? :wink:

Will you be posting meal pics while you're in N.O.? Pics of you chowing down on boiled crawfish?

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

Just popping in to say that I love your progress pictures!  I also used cabinetry direct for my all-internet kitchen, and I am just thrilled with them.  We "finished" about a month ago, but the punch list still lingers...

Here are mine, sans the nontraditional crown moulding Ken was able to acquire for me:

Rats...I seem to only be able to post a link.  But both kitchen and bath cabinetry is CabDirect

Back to your regularly scheduled kitchen thread....I've been lurking a long time, and just wanted to chime in with another good CabDirect experience for anyone else who might be on the fence.

I love that green color in your bathroom! You have great taste.

Give one of the little varmints the camera, they can figure it out. Kinda like cartoonists on vacation. (Family Circle comes to mind). :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Give one of the little varmints the camera, they can figure it out. Kinda like cartoonists on vacation. (Family Circle comes to mind). :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

All the L'il Varmints will be with me, and I'll have the camera!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

• 2 weeks later...