• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's New Kitchen

Varmint

We passed the fourth and final "interim" inspection, so it's full steam ahead. Cabinets will be here in 6 days, and the appliances will arrive shortly thereafter. We had to add two stabilizing jacks under the floor, as it was in sufficiently bad shape that it was causing the concrete sub-floor to crack in two spaces -- too much "give." We sort of expected that.

It looks as if this project will be finished by the end of the month -- right on time!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

We had to add two stabilizing jacks under the floor, as it was in sufficiently bad shape that it was causing the concrete sub-floor to crack in two spaces -- too much "give."  We sort of expected that.

Do you have a basement or crawlspace where you put the jacks? I fear we may have to do the same (we have a basement). I assume (hope) these things aren't that expensive. :sad:

We had to add two stabilizing jacks under the floor, as it was in sufficiently bad shape that it was causing the concrete sub-floor to crack in two spaces -- too much "give."  We sort of expected that.

Do you have a basement or crawlspace where you put the jacks? I fear we may have to do the same (we have a basement). I assume (hope) these things aren't that expensive. :sad:

It's a crawlspace, and I think the jacks were less than 50 bucks each. It's made a big difference.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

The last of the dry wall is up. Thus, we have a closet and two new "walls," one at the end of the SubZeros and one at the end of my Mega-Pantry. I think the one thing that will make visitors envious of my kitchen will be the pantry. It's huge! They've finished putting up the plywood on the walls and ceiling (it's currently all plywood).

I believe they're now doing a lot of "mudding" of the new drywall to smooth out the screws, corners and edges. I'm quite excited, if you couldn't tell. I really can't wait for the new window to arrive and for them to install it.

I'll try and post some pictures tonight, as the room has really taken shape. They'll be ready for the cabinets when they arrive on Tuesday. So will I. :wink:

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

You are absolutely going to love the pantry. I can't decide if that is what I miss the most or is it the big sink? Ah well . . . One of these days. I can't remember if the pantry was included in the floor plan you posted. If you give some dimensions, I may have some tips for you.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

My pantry was about the same width. But not quite that deep. :biggrin: Anyway, there were shelves along one side and at the end. That left a wall. Since there was plenty of walking room, I put up some wire racks like these. They were terrific for my gazillions of bottles of vinegar, syrups, all those weird condiments I get everytime I go to an Asian market, the larger containers of spices, you name it. My new pantry won't have that wall so I am putting in a double door so that I have more room for these.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Let's start with some shots of this pantry. Here's the new doorway, where we're installing a swinging door.

gallery_137_803_33183.jpg

This picture may give you an idea of the pantry's dimensions, including its depth (taken just inside the doorway).

gallery_137_803_34711.jpg

Here's the wall where the range will be. The right side of this wall makes up part of the new closet.

gallery_137_803_2095.jpg

Here's a picture of that same wall a few days ago.

gallery_137_803_46250.jpg

The wall at the end of the SubZeros.

gallery_137_803_15274.jpg

I'm out of town tomorrow, so I'm not sure what they'll have going on. Regardless, I'll return to a nice surprise, I'm sure.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Your pantry looks a little wider than the one I had. The shelves I had on one side were deeper than those bookshelves, for instance. I am thinking that they were 18". That is fine for storing appliances, like a KA mixer, and larger stockpots and serving trays. However, the shallower shelves, like the book shelves, are more convenient for canned goods, condiments, etc. Stuff doesn't get lost being pushed to the back. It looks like you have enough space for the best of both worlds, deeper shelves on one side and shallower on another. For my pantry, I am considering the Intermetro wire shelving. It is infinitely adjustable and there are nifty accessories available as well. Some shelves would have to be solid stainless though, for sliding in heavy appliances like the KA mixer and food processor. I haven't decided yet, but I am considering it. My housekeeper is also a restaurant/catering manager for a retreat house and she is the one plumping for the wire shelves.

One other thought. If you paint the ceilings especially and maybe the walls with a semi-gloss bright white, you will not believe how much brighter the available light will be. Once, I lived in a condo where we had parking underneath the buildings, the first living floor one story up. Lighting was by bare light bulbs and quite dim. We were using 60 watt bulbs as I remember. After painting with the fairly glossy white, we were able to drop the wattage to 40 and it was still much brighter than before. (That caused quite a drop in the association's energy costs. We had several hundred bulbs under there.)

That pantry is going to be heaven.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

I have the wire shelving and the shelves will hold a full size sheet pan plus a smaller one.

Smart & Final have the sheet pans for 10.99 regular (used to be 9.99) and a while back they had a special, 10 for 79.99, which I bought.

I use the sheet pans and smaller, inexpensive, bus trays on the wire shelves as it makes it easier to move things around, especially appliances with feet.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Sheet pans are a great idea, andie, for a lot of things. I have been buying very heavy aluminum half sheets for $5.98 at my restaurant supply place, Ace Mart in Texas.

If I know my designer, he will slip in under the cover of darkness and put wheels on the Intermetro shelves. :laugh:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

This picture may give you an idea of the pantry's dimensions, including its depth (taken just inside the doorway).

gallery_137_803_34711.jpg

Maybe I missed this part of the thread, but I'm wondering why the walls & ceiling of the pantry are lined with plywood. Is this a "southern" requirement, or can I learn something from this :hmmm:

A.

Actually, I was wondering the same thing, Daddy-A. There are some coastal areas that require plywood but as outside sheathing for windstorm code reasons but I am sure that doesn't apply to pantries. Maybe he thinks it will burn quicker if it catches on fire. :laugh:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Actually, I was wondering the same thing, Daddy-A. There are some coastal areas that require plywood but as outside sheathing for windstorm code reasons but I am sure that doesn't apply to pantries. Maybe he thinks it will burn quicker if it catches on fire.  :laugh:

Like a built in smoke-house? :laugh:

I was thinking it might have to do with providing a secure anchor for the shelves that will be going in the pantry. But that wouldn't explain the ceiling.

A trapeze perhaps?

A.

Actually, I was wondering the same thing, Daddy-A. There are some coastal areas that require plywood but as outside sheathing for windstorm code reasons but I am sure that doesn't apply to pantries. Maybe he thinks it will burn quicker if it catches on fire.  :laugh:

Like a built in smoke-house? :laugh:

I was thinking it might have to do with providing a secure anchor for the shelves that will be going in the pantry. But that wouldn't explain the ceiling.

A trapeze perhaps?

A.

Shear wall, Easy attachment of fixtures, We have extra plywood, that's what the inspector wants, or it seemed like a good idea at the time? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Shear wall, Easy attachment of fixtures, We have extra plywood, that's what the inspector wants, or it seemed like a good idea at the time? :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Other than your last idea Bruce, nothing explains the ceiling yet.

I'm perplexed!

A.

Guys, guys, guys. Remember who designed this kitchen in the first place; remember the maze. You expect something that we left intact to make sense?

Actually, I don't know why, but I kind of like the plywood look for the pantry. It is just a pantry! Much of the house is exposed wood. Pine planks in the master bedroom, cypress in the family room, cedar siding. So, I guess a little plywood in the pantry isn't a problem now, is it??? :wink:

I can't tell you the number of times my workers shook their heads over this kitchen, trying to figure out why it was done the way it was. For instance, the dryer's electrical path to the circuit breaker went up into the attic, down the long hall to the bedrooms (almost all the way to the back of the house), down into the basement, back to the front of the house, and into the circuit breaker that is located 5 feet away from the dryer. Why? At first we didn't know, but then we realized that the dryer was in the back of the house. Then the circuit breaker got moved. Then the dryer got moved. Thus, it was easier to extend the existing wires rather than do a straight-line shot. At least, that's the story I got! The electrician ripped out yards and yards of old wiring and has replaced it with pathways that make sense.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Guys, guys, guys.  Remember who designed this kitchen in the first place; remember the maze.  You expect something that we left intact to make sense? 

Actually, I don't know why, but I kind of like the plywood look for the pantry.  It is just a pantry!  Much of the house is exposed wood.  Pine planks in the master bedroom, cypress in the family room, cedar siding.  So, I guess a little plywood in the pantry isn't a problem now, is it???  :wink:

Dang ... that explanation was just a little disappointing :wink: At least make something up! Personally, I'd go with the "trapeze" explanation :laugh:

A.

Actually, it's because the pantry houses the beer fridge, and with all the crazy Canadians who visit us, with their propensity to overindulge in their national drink, they often shower the pantry walls with the golden suds. And we all know that plywood hides beer stains better than white-painted drywall.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Actually, it's because the pantry houses the beer fridge, and with all the crazy Canadians who visit us, with their propensity to overindulge in their national drink, they often shower the pantry walls with the golden suds.  And we all know that plywood hides beer stains better than white-painted drywall.

Now you're just being mean :sad::raz::wink:

Besides, no true Canadian would ever consider wasting even a drop of good beer. :laugh:

A.

Actually, it's because the pantry houses the beer fridge, and with all the crazy Canadians who visit us, with their propensity to overindulge in their national drink, they often shower the pantry walls with the golden suds.  And we all know that plywood hides beer stains better than white-painted drywall.

Now you're just being mean :sad::raz::wink:

Besides, no true Canadian would ever consider wasting even a drop of good beer. :laugh:

A.

Especially Canadian Beer. Which we all know is far superior to other beers. :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

New window is in.

Cabinets go in tomorrow and Wednesday. Floor tile will go in later this week.

Next week, the work on the countertops begins, along with whatever electrical work has to be installed into the cabinets themselves.

I'll be sure to take pictures tomorrow and post them here!

The downside of all this is that I leave for New Orleans this Friday and won't get back until March 28, the day after Easter. Of course, it's hard to say that going to New Orleans can ever have a downside!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites