• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's New Kitchen

Varmint

It's not that it wouldn't be fun to do the demo, but we don't have the time with all the kids. Plus, we don't have a truck to haul the stuff out of here. It would take us weeks to do the demo. It'll take my guys 3 days.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

It's not that it wouldn't be fun to do the demo, but we don't have the time with all the kids.  Plus, we don't have a truck to haul the stuff out of here.  It would take us weeks to do the demo.  It'll take my guys 3 days.

Dean,

I wasn't suggesting you do the whole thing :laugh: ... just a few square feet of drywall is enough to let go of a few frustrations.

For a laugh, take a sledge hammer and clear the drywall off of one wall. Then go to your contractor and ask him how much a discount he's going to give you for all the work you've done. Trust me :wink::wink::wink: they love that kind of humour!!!

A,

I am very excited to see pics of the before, demo and after!!

Break a leg,

-MJR

�As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.� - Ernest Hemingway, in �A Moveable Feast�

Brooklyn, NY, USA

I said I'd take some "before" pictures, so here it goes. First, because of the horrible nature of the kitchen, it's nearly impossible to get a good photograph that captures the kitchen in its entirety. Take it from me: it's a mess, a maze of a mess.

Because the lot next to our house has been completely cleared (with the exception of 7 trees) to make room for a 7,800 square foot monstrosity, I have the opportunity to take a picture of the side of the house which I've been unable to do previously. As you can see, this is an architect's house, and a bizarrely designed one at that. The "box" on the right is the laundry room, but immediately to the left in the recessed area is the hallway where the SubZeros are currently located. We'll put an additional window in that region. To the left of that is the big window where the baking area will go. The area to the left of the windows is the pantry, and yes, that entire length will contain pantry!!!

gallery_137_434_742019.jpg

The entry to the house is at the right end of the above picture. This is the family entrance, so it leads straight into our very messy laundry room.

gallery_137_434_502930.jpg

From the laundry room, you walk into the kitchen.

gallery_137_434_546618.jpg

Once in the kitchen "hallway", looking to your left are our oh-so-lovely SubZeros. We'll be covering those with stainless panels.

gallery_137_434_75142.jpg

Looking to the right is the bar sink area, which is where the SubZeros will be going.

gallery_137_434_102939.jpg

Moving straight ahead now, you'll walk into the first obstruction in this little rat-maze: my current baking area with a lovely piece of Italian marble:

gallery_137_434_44821.jpg

Here's a more in-focus shot of this region:

gallery_137_434_230523.jpg

Note that everything you're looking at will be gone. Kaput. Removed. Destroyed. The wall ovens and the wall will be non-existent in a week or two. As will the cabinets holding up the marble.

Begin to be amazed by the maze. This is still at the baking area, looking to the left. Near the windows is where the new baking area will be.

gallery_137_434_144870.jpg

Looking straight ahead from the current baking area:

gallery_137_434_81441.jpg

This is the view from where the new baking area will go, looking into my pantry. The new pantry will come out to where the red tile currently ends. Don't worry, as there won't be anything on the right, so there will be enough room.

gallery_137_434_1020330.jpg

This shows another angle of where the pantry will end. The new cabinets will come out flush to the pantry wall. Note that the blank wall here is where the door used to be, a year ago.

gallery_137_434_533150.jpg

These two shots show the kitchen maze from the window (new baking area). It's a friggin mess, as I took the pictures right after lunch, before cleaning up. On the other side of the current eating bar is the living room.

gallery_137_434_18335.jpg

gallery_137_434_28227.jpg

This shows the eating bar from the living room. The cabinets above the eating bar house the I-beam that ties into the very first wall, so we'll be tying the I-beam into a support post there.

gallery_137_434_1004542.jpg

This is the end of the eating bar, looking back towards the kitchen.

gallery_137_434_248293.jpg

Our living room and dining areas are all in the same room. Here's the view of the eating bar from the dining area.

gallery_137_434_142363.jpg

Finally, here's the house from the other side. Our second kitchen is in the box to the right, way up high, behind the deck and picture window. It's a loft above the master bedroom.

gallery_137_434_112440.jpg

Sorry the picture quality is so bad, but I didn't have much time to get the shots in.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I'd like to be sure I never hire the architect that designed your maze.

Great pictures!

Tomorrow is the final inspection on our kitchen, dining room, basement remodel. You will be so happy when it's done. All told, I was only without use of the kitchen 2 days. (OK, we cheated and took a 3 week vacation for the kitchen part)

Best wishes, have fun and looking forward to watching your progress. MK

That is the dammdest looking kitchen I have ever seen. I see what you mean about it being a maze. I can't imagine being able to work in such an area. And it would be an incredible feat for two people to work in the kitchen at the same time, and remain friends......

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Not only that, but a number of eG members worked in that kitchen at the same time during Varmint's famous (or infamous) Pig Pickin. Dave the cook was a very happy guy.. :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Ditto what andie said. :laugh: I didn't really get feel for the maze from the floor plan. Those pictures did it for me. That will help a lot for the before and after experience.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Varmint, have your in-laws ever said just how this kitchen came to be (from what I've read, I gather that you and your wife bought it from them)? Did it start off this way or was there an add on here and there that created the maze?

I love the plans for the new kitchen and am looking forward to watching it evolve.

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

Brilliant ... absolutely brilliant. Make sure you get prints of those for your before and after album. Then, after the dust is all settled, you can look back at what was, and giggle yourself into a coma!

When does the kaos begin Dean?

A.

Why is your living room closer to the kitchen than the dining room?

I understood this was a maze from your previous discussion, and the Pig Picking thread.

This is a maze that would have had us at the ER many, many times with Princess Heidi over the years (she doesn't necessarily look where she is walking). And, me, over gnashing of teeth at the maze and butt bumping.

Yikes.

Remodel well overdue. Mine is tiny, and there isn't much room for many bodies, but it is galley and pretty straight forward.

I am hot to see post-demo photos. Wish I lived closer, I'd hoist a pry bar or sledge hammer! (reminder that I'm ruthless. just pitched, unopened, 16 boxes we moved almost a year ago that haven't been opened since.)

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

The maze was designed around two pieces of Italian marble that my in-laws brought back with them after living in Livorno for a couple of years. Plus, my mother-in-law is a small woman and my f-i-l hasn't cooked a thing in his life, so this made for this crazy design. It's awful, truly, completely awful.

We're trying to time the demo based on the estimated time of cabinet arrival. Right now, the cabinets should be here in about 5 weeks. The last thing we want is to have a torn up kitchen, workers standing around, waiting for the cabinets. That would not be good.

As far as why my living room is closer to the kitchen than the dining room? Beats me. But it's all the same room, so no big deal. This house is compact. Not counting our 3 lofts we have about 2,800 square feet, and this is a 5 bedroom, 3 bath house. But the location can't be beat and we have a lovely "cement lawn" (aka a tennis court) where we can have a pig pickin every other year!

I received my replacement sink for the eating bar yesterday. This was the correct one, thank goodness.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I really really like the house and the setting. Hopefully, the new house next door won't block too much light. As for your present kitchen....wow....I am tolerant of most spaces and can make do, but yours is beyond what anyone could work in. Good luck with the renos, plastic off any room that isn't part of the work, stuff rags under doors etc to stop dust from finding its way in the bedrooms. This will be a treat...even just seeing this kitchen disappear will be worth it!

oh my...those pictures! I picked up on your original thread while new to eGullet, and as it so happens while pondering my own kitchen renovation. I've considered myself fortunate to have a number of architects among my friends, but while I love them, now I'm wondering...your photos will be required viewing before I let them put pen to paper on my kitchen. Though from what I've seen of their work and own abodes, I imagine they will be appropriately horrified.

and ditto to Safran's comments, the house seems to have great potential. This renovation seems like a rescue mission.

More exciting news (har!). The lighting and hardware for the pantry's swinging door arrived yesterday. I believe my faucets are expected to arrive today. Tile should be here late this week or early next week.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Demolition is to begin on February 14 -- Valentine's Day!!! Seeing Mrs. Varmint and I don't do anything for V-Day, I couldn't imagine a better way to celebrate!

I received one of my two faucets.

I ordered my cabinetry pulls yesterday. Very simple arch pulls by Baldwin, 3-3/4 inch for the drawers and 5 inch for the doors:

http://www.homeannex.com/scripts/prodView....idproduct=13040

I actually budgeted $600 for the hardware, and these are costing me $189, delivered. More savings!!!

With the exception of some molding that we're going to use for the edges of the countertops, I think I've ordered everything I'm capable of ordering. I'm sure there are a couple of items I've forgotten, but nothing big. It's just a matter of waiting, now. Damn, I hate waiting.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Seven days until demo!!

I received my counter and floor tiles today.

The counter is blue pearl granite tile:

gallery_137_434_375466.jpg

Here's 4 of the tiles together:

gallery_137_434_467530.jpg

The floor tile is a very light gray ceramic:

gallery_137_434_136920.jpg

Here's a shot with both tiles together. Remember that my cabinets will be lightly stained maple.

gallery_137_434_86537.jpg

I'm just waiting around in the meantime. The anticipation is killing me.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Oh my. That pairing of the granite and floor tiles is lovely. You are making me think about granite tiles for my kitchen counters. What it the cost per square foot?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Oh my. That pairing of the granite and floor tiles is lovely. You are making me think about granite tiles for my kitchen counters. What it the cost per square foot?

I got the granite for $9 a foot. The floor tile was only about $2 a foot.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

So, like, what's happening to those peices of Italian marble?

The bigger piece is being cut down, re-polished, and will go in the baking area. We'll have tile all around it. I'm thinking it should look really nice when it's done. The other piece? Come and get it!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

So, the countdown is on. I do hope you have planned a special meal to "send the old kitchen out." Although it is a maze that you don't like, lots of living and loving have happened in that space, and it deserves to be toasted properly!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"