• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's up with Margaux's?

Random Alias

We had to make some keys made and found ourselves in the same shopping center as Margaux's. Seeing it reminded us that we've never eaten there, and as it's so close to our house we decided we should give it a try. We'd planning to have a nice meal that week anyways, so we called for reservations and got one for 2 days later at 7:30.

We arrive at the place, and I'll start by saying it's weirdly decorated. It's like a 80s Gothic nightclub or something. Some wierd dungeon theme, lots of hard surfaces, and strangley aimed bright spot lights. If I had shown up here 20 years ago all dressed in black and somber looking, I would have thought it was a pretty cool place. Either ways, the hostess can't find our reservations, but as we looked around the restaurant was half empty so it didn' seem like it would be much of a problem. Wrong - she spent way too long questioning us about our reservations rather than just sitting us at one of the many available tables, but eventually she admitted it wouldn't be a problem and led us to our table. She never offered any apology over their screw up; if anything she acted as if we had made some mistake. Apparently people feigning reservations at half empty restaurants is a common occurance in Raleigh.

We start heading for what looks like a nice table - 4 top against a wall, kind of out of the way, but that's not our table. No problem, there are several more good tables available, and apparently they're to remain available as we walk right past them to a very dark corner. In this corner, there is a tiny two top right next to the kitchen, and not set for service. Well, as we look out at the numerous empty tables, we decide we're not sitting here and ask for another table....and she balks. She just stares at us, finally my wife offers up that she doesn't hear that well and being so near the kitchen might make conversation difficult. She makes no attempt to hider her displeasure, sighs, but does starts walking back towards the numerous good tables we passed on our way to the corner.

Of course, we walk right by them and she sits us at a 4-top right along the main pathway that the every server must take to get to any other table. This table also has two of the previously mentioned bright spot lights aimed right at it - one in my eyes, one in my wife's. I'm pretty certain we had just found the second worst table in the restaurant. We sit for about 30 seconds kind of laughing, kind of angry, and decide to leave.

We called up Fins and made reservations for an hour later where we enjoyed an excellent meal, with excellent service, in a very comfortable booth that wasn't near the kitchen.

So I don't know if Margaux's food is any good, but the service and atmosphere certainly isn't. I just don't think there's a huge market in N. Raleigh for rude service in a Gothic night club inspired setting, but then maybe I'm just getting old. Anybody actually made it to the menu there?

Here's their website if you're interested:

http://www.margauxsrestaurant.com/

Can't comment on the food. But is this some kind of chain?? The website is really tacky .. thankfully it had a turn music off button. Looks horrendous.

No, it's not a chain. I think it used to be a fairly normal French restaurant, but they remodled earlier this year and changed up the menu a bit. They generally get good reviews so I was really surprised by how we were treated. I could deal with the decor, but not the attitude.

Here's a review. The food sounds like something I'd like, but I'm guessing it'll be quite some time before I find out. We may not have a ton of choice in this area for dining at that price level, but we have enough.

http://www.triangle.com/dining/restaurantr...p-7350270c.html

The waiter delivers a brace of birds, their flesh succulent under a thin prosciutto wrap, perched atop a walnut risotto cake. Encircling this toothsome tower is a shallow moat of porcini mushroom cream sauce whose flavor will haunt you for many nights to come.

I get the Medieval theme thing in the cooking (and the tower-and-moat review) but why do a restaurant up in this manner? Is is necessary to distract from something there? Theme restaurants work best in a Disneyesque atmosphere, to me anyway ... :hmmm: Goth grub ...

So, has anyone actually eaten the food except for the reviewer?? :rolleyes:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I'm glad to hear you did enjoy your meal at Fins. My husband and I were just back in Raleigh for the holidays - made it to Enoteca Vin and Foursquare in Durham - but not to Fins... We've been there a couple of times - good to know it's still doing well. We're planning to come back to Raleigh in February and will definitely make it in...!

Live and learn. Die and get food. That's the Southern way.

• 2 weeks later...

we have recently had poor service at margaux's as well.

in my opinion, the menu is too large, nothing is all that good, most entrees are over sauced and too heavy, and the price is high for what is provided.

nonethless, not a terrible option for a change of pace