• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The *ahem* aftereffects of Jerusalem Artichokes

bloviatrix

Does anyone have any suggestions for reducing the unpleasant aftereffects of eating Jerusalem Artichokes? I like eating them, the but the end result is really quite unpleasant.

According to McGee's On Food and Cooking (p. 307, new edition), Jerusalem artichokes contain an abundance of fructose-based carbohydrates and humans don't have the enzymes needed to digest them. As a result, the "beneficial bacteria in our intestines feed on them instead, in the process generating carbon dioxide and other gases that can cause abdominal discomfort."

McGee goes on to explain that long cooking (12 - 24 hours) and low temperatures (200F) will convert the carbohydrate to digestible fructose. The thing is most recipes call for much shorter cooking times and higher temperatures.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Never heard of it or ever had it happen to me, but I like sunchokes.

"He could blanch anything in the fryolator and finish it in the microwave or under the salamander. Talented guy."

I tell people who buy my beans that the gas is a "gift with purchase".

Beans are one thing but the sunchokes- it's almost insane! Maybe if you eat them more often....

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

For recipes where you cook them for longer periods, one thing you might try is the braising method which begins on the stove and then after more liquid is added goes into the oven, for an overall longer cooking time. Check out Julia Child's method in her first volume of Mastering the Art. You could replace leeks by the topinambour (French name for Jerusalem Artichokes).

At my house, sorry to say, we just don't eat them after one particularly bad experience, although I do like to take pictures of them. :smile:

Some people find inulin rather indigestible and have complained of flatulence after eating sunchokes. One such person was John Goodyer, who revised Gerard's Herbal in 1621, and wrote: "Jerusalem artichokes...are dressed divers wayes, some boile them in water...others bake them in pies...others some other way as they are led by their skill in Cookerie. But in my judgment, which way soever they be drest and eaten they stir up and cause a filthie loathesome stinking winde within the body, thereby causing the belly to be much pained and tormented, and are a meat more fit for swine than men."

To which I say, Mr. Goodyer, eat more of them! And like the old bean rhyme says, the more you eat the better you'll feel. As soon as your body gets used to the inulin, you'll be downing these gems like candy. But you may want to beware the filthy, loathsome, stinking wind (an exaggeration) and go slowly at first.

from conscious choice website :rolleyes:

the recipes look wonderful though ... :wink:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I cook them routinely, and neither I nor any of my family members has a problem with them.

I steam them until fork tender (not very long, actually) and then either puree them or slice them and toss with some sort of dairy before running them under the broiler to make a gratin.

It would be interesting to see whether there's a difference in gut commensal bacterial among those who do and those who don't have a problem with inulin. Sugar alcohols like maltitol (artificial sweeteners) are similarly problematic, and I am subject to their noxious effects.

Can you pee in the ocean?

Beans are one thing but the sunchokes- it's almost insane! Maybe if you eat them more often....

Beans have absolutely no effect on me. But the sunchokes -- man, it was really nasty round these parts last night.

Whatever you do, don't serve these things to guests. :laugh:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

After reading this link, I am conscientiously avoiding all reference to commercial products like Beano .. which can, according to this, be known as "Toot Sweet" ... and to calling an appetizer made with Jerusalem artichokes, The Big Bang ... see where these clever names come from:

some real help ....

Under-Ease has a seven-layer filter system with charcoal sandwiched between Australian sheep's wool. The filter is 1/4-inch thick so it's not particularly bulky, and Buck Weimer says it's undetectable underneath regular clothing.

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

The restaurant at which I work had a Jerusalem Artichoke Veloute for a while, from which I never got any, um, "discomfort." It was pureed, in soup form. Delicious and no after-effects :smile:

Eat.Drink.DC.

...dining in the district...

Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch.

- Orson Welles

I struggle not to think of them as "fartichokes"... we had a 'choke veloute on last week as a soup du jour, and very nice it was too.

Happily, most of us in the kitchen had colds at the same time so the after-effects weren't commented upon.

Now that I think about it, though, the gas burners seemed to be running a little hotter than normal. :)

Edited by culinary bear (log)

Allan Brown

"If you're a chef on a salary, there's usually a very good reason. Never, ever, work out your hourly rate."

I struggle not to think of them as "fartichokes"...  we had a 'choke veloute on last week as a soup du jour, and very nice it was too.

Happily, most of us in the kitchen had colds at the same time so the after-effects weren't commented upon.

Now that I think about it, though, the gas burners seemed to be running a little hotter than normal. :)

BRILLIANT!!

Must stop laughing. Stomach aches.

Culinary Bear -- when sunchokes are on the menu, how well do they sell?

Culinary Bear -- when sunchokes are on the menu, how well do they sell?

Reasonably well. We're attached to a hotel, so the clientele varies from discerning diner to barely housetrained chimp.

The veloute sold well, though some of the less, erm, erudite diners had questions about artichokes. Since the front of house staff have the collective IQ of a small snail, this was most easily solved by providing a display artichoke, which the waters could carry out and show people. Honestly, I swear if they were any less intelligent they'd have to be watered on a daily basis.

Customer : I say, this artichoke thing, what is it exactly?

Waiter : Me no know, but me find out.

*waiter trundles off to annoy chefs; is threatened with stabbing if he wanders behind the pass; picks up artichoke after first picking up ginger by mistake; trundles back to table*

Waiter : This artichoke, it grow in ground, give plenty gas, yes.

I exaggerate, of course. Sometimes the waiters actually achieve adequacy in their work, although I've learned more abusive phrases in french than I ever thought possible.

Anyway, I digress; the only dish we have on the main menu that uses them is one of pan-fried sea bream with sauteed artichokes, morels and ceps - it seems to shift fairly decently.

Allan Brown

"If you're a chef on a salary, there's usually a very good reason. Never, ever, work out your hourly rate."

• 9 months later...

This thread is looking worrisomely similar to another thread here....

But interesting, I've never noticed a problem with sunchokes. I cook them "olive oil" style - sautee a cubed carrot and chopped onion in liberal olive oil, add peeled sunchokes, sautee them a bit, add water *just* to cover, squeeze in half a lemon, some dill, and perhaps a sugar cube. Cook till tender, let cool. These are eaten cold with a squeeze of lemon over the top. Works really well with celeriac too. Yumm. (futz?)

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria

• 10 years later...

I am bumping this thread because I planted them as a noise barrier  again a few years ago and regretted it ever since … have an entire bed of them and since we never do have a real "first frost" here … if anyone, anywhere made these more comfortable to eat? I thought I would bump it and see because i tried the suggestions on this list

anyone?

the bed grows pounds and pounds of them.  I really do enjoy the flavor and texture they fry nice crispy and sweet 

and then I am buckled in pain wondering what ungodly poison entered my being 

beano  a joke with these it doesn't work 

every year when they are spilling out of the bed I look at them and wonder …"WHY????? did I plant them and why are they so vengeful????!!!!!!"  

no slow cooking makes no difference to me either 

I tried to pickle them ..that was the worst idea of all that year I did that..and no you can not "ungrow" these things they are in there forever like bamboo so I just contain them 

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Sadly, no suggestion for making them more, um, digestible....

A friend planted them a few years ago, harvested once, and has spent the time since trying to clear the little beasties out of her garden.  Beautiful in the garden if you have lots of space...

• Like 1