• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Slow cooked pork roast

hazardnc

I made a delicious slow roasted pork butt for tonight's dinner. The only size available at the market was a 6 pounder - much too big for my family of four.

I am now faced with at least four pounds of leftover meat. Other than sandwiches, what should I make with the leftovers? I thought of Pozole.

Posole, yes (if you did bone in, stick the bone in). Enchiladas. Tacos. Crisped and used in place of lardons on a salad with poached egg. In a frittata. Eaten cold out of the fridge, with door open. In fried rice. Added to ramen noodles.

Lucky you!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I will second snowangel's "eaten cold out of the fridge with the door open." After that, wrap in a tortilla with any kind of condiments. My favorite is pickled red onion (thinly sliced red onion with lime juice, salt and pepper, allowed to sit for a while) with sour cream. Other options are cheese, salsa and iceberg lettuce or shredded cabbage.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

My favorite is pickled red onion (thinly sliced red onion with lime juice, salt and pepper, allowed to sit for a while) with sour cream.

This sounds so good that methinks me sees a butt in my future. Especially since I just noted that my local meat market has them on sale (bone in!) for $89/lb.

I think pork butt is my very favorite cut of meat. You slow roast (or smoke it). That collagen breaks down. It is silky. It is sweet, perhaps smokey. It pleases everyone.

Ooooo . . . When pork butt goes on sale I get all drooly. I am wondering how a smoking adventure would go in your low temps. My son in Chicago would be interested. Can it work?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Wrap well and fed-ex over night to my address :wink:

Any Mexican wrapped dish will be delicious with this leftover. Don't chop it though, shred it - I don't know why but it's much better that way. Gorditas would be wonderful.

"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"

Ooooo . . . When pork butt goes on sale I get all drooly. I am wondering how a smoking adventure would go in your low temps. My son in Chicago would be interested. Can it work?

Hmmm. Been wondering the same thing. This just could be on the menu on Friday at our house.

All excellent suggestions. I just weighed the leftovers, and I have nearly 3 pounds to work with.

My husband mentioned Cuban sandwiches last night, so we may use some for that. I have some empanadas discos in the freezer that I ned to use also. I really like the carnitas idea - shred the meat, reheat in a skillet - crisp it up a bit - and serve. Hmmm.

This roast was incredibly good - slow roasted it for 6 hours at 275 - nice crisy crist and buttery tender on the inside.

Replies all noted--I have a 4 pound butt in the oven as we speak, and there is only one of me.

I hear you. I am in the same boat. When I do a pork roast or smoke one, I keep thinking I am on the Atkins diet for a few days. By the way, this recipe is the family favorite and we did cook this for Christmas dinner at my son's house in Chicago.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

I got two words for you: Cuban and sandwich.

Second this. (note that the sanwich in the first website is improperly cut -- Cubanos should always be cut on the diagonal). Enthusiastically.

We always get a bigger loin than we need so that we can make the sandwiches for a lazy Sunday dinner. Being gringos, we tart up the thing with a little lime/roast cumin/roast coriander mayonaise that would probably get us barred from Caille Ocho for life if the authorities found out, but it's pretty darn good.

Serve with black beans, fried plantains and rum.

It's actually better than the original pork roast.

Edited by Busboy (log)

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

My all time favorite is Black Beans and Rice (Moors y Christianos). Cuban black beans atop white rice with big junks of pork stirred in... One of the things I really miss about LA -- Versailles' version which I frequently try to recreate.

Use in Thai style curries.

Fry shredded pork until crispy and serve on soft polenta or tossed in a frisee salad with a poached egg.

Or shredded pork tossed in with sauteed wild mushrooms then used as a sauce for pasta.

Or...

But, really, is there anything finer than a pork sandwich on a crusty sourdough with butter and fresh mayonaisse along with a wild mushroom soup?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

But, really, is there anything finer than a pork sandwich on a crusty sourdough with butter and fresh mayonaisse along with a wild mushroom soup?

It was decided by my SO that tonight we dine on soup and sandwiches. Rather than the wild mushroom, I am craving a tomato bisque. The soup thread has me thinking!