• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

It has two types of elements, which the manufacturer refers to as "near infra red" and "far infra red." The claim is that one type of element is good at browning the surface of food while the other is good at heating the interior. Whether it's true or not, one of the elements radiates both infrared and visible light, so it acts as a very bright, white oven light.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Can these new convection toasters pull the same tricks most ovens can, just in a smaller form factor? Will these guys do roasted vegetables nicely, and can it finish off a piece of fish/meat that I start on the stove? I'm looking at the Cuisinart as a good way to avoid having to use the entire oven for small quantities of food.

Can these new convection toasters pull the same tricks most ovens can, just in a smaller form factor? Will these guys do roasted vegetables nicely, and can it finish off a piece of fish/meat that I start on the stove? I'm looking at the Cuisinart as a good way to avoid having to use the entire oven for small quantities of food.

This thread http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=59012 may shed some light on your question.

That is precisely what I use mine for. There are just two of us most of the time so it's just a mini version of my oven. I roast veggies, finish off fish and meat started on the stove top, bake casseroles, etc. The only thing is finding suitably sized dishes for the smaller oven.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 4 months later...
Well that cinches it, Amazon/Froogle here I come. Thanks!

I am looking for a new toaster oven. My new kitchen has stainless steel appliances, so the scorched white one I currently have looks sorely out of place.

The DeLonghi retro is too retro for my kitchen. The Cuisinart recommended here is VERY tempting, but I would rather spend less. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good toaster oven that comes in a stainless steel finish? I use it mainly for heating flatbread, but would be more than happy to use it in place of my oven for small tasks.

I would also like to know if the stainless steel finish scorches.

• 1 year later...

Does anybody have a Black&Decker Toast R-Oven model TRO870? I just won a free new one, but I don't know if I should keep it since I already have a fairly new Toaster Oven from Rival or just give it away as a gift. I'm not interested in toasting ability, but in how well it acts as a oven. The Black&Decker seems to be bigger, which is a plus over the Rival.

Well that cinches it, Amazon/Froogle here I come. Thanks!

I would also like to know if the stainless steel finish scorches.

At least on the Cuisinart, the stainless steel finish does not scorch.

Does anybody have a Black&Decker Toast R-Oven model TRO870? I just won a free new one, but I don't know if I should keep it since I already have a fairly new Toaster Oven from Rival or just give it away as a gift. I'm not interested in toasting ability, but in how well it acts as a oven. The Black&Decker seems to be bigger, which is a plus over the Rival.

I gave this one to my sister in law for Christmas and she loves it. It does have a nice size capacity.

Marlene

cookskorner

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.