• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cordon Bleu Cooking Course

robyn

My husband and I are decent home cooks with no formal training. We have never taken a cooking course before. We're taking a cruise which offers a Cordon Bleu cooking course at sea. What are Cordon Bleu cooking courses? What are we likely to learn in a short course? If you could do it - would you do it? Robyn

Wander over to cruisecritic.com, every cruise and its corresponding activities

are detailed to the Nth degree

HTH

Jorge

I did that - and it didn't have detailed information. So I talked with the cruise line - and my travel agent. The course is 3 2 hour sessions - hands on for everyone (there are 16 cooking stations - enrollment is limited). That's about all the information I got. Figure that no matter what they're teaching - I probably don't know how to do it :smile: . So I signed up. Robyn

My husband and I are decent home cooks with no formal training.  We have never taken a cooking course before.  We're taking a cruise which offers a Cordon Bleu cooking course at sea.  What are Cordon Bleu cooking courses?  What are we likely to learn in a short course?  If you could do it - would you do it?  Robyn

Take a look here: http://www.cordonbleu.net

Robyn,

I am a chef instructor for Le Cordon Bleu North America, I teach at their Orlando Culinary Academy. The Le Cordon Bleu is nothing more than a brand name. It is a familiar term that many people are familiar with and feel is a level of excellence. If I had to guess, as a LCB instructor, I would be they would be going through basic skill things, such as how to properly hold a knife, how to do a few basic cooking skills (the techniques of saute, grill, roast, simmer, braise perhaps), and some basics about things like how to make your own salad dressings. They might talk about some basic sanitation things, but I wouldn't think that they would get too involved in that at all.

Tonyy13

Owner, Big Wheel Provisions

tony_adams@mac.com

I'm from Pompano Beach, just north of Ft. Lauderdale, and have heard of this cruise on the radio. I'm sure it'll be more of a cooking demonstration than a class; after all, who wants to go to school on their vacation? Please, let know how much fun you had! :biggrin:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Robyn,

I am a chef instructor for Le Cordon Bleu North America, I teach at their Orlando Culinary Academy.  The Le Cordon Bleu is nothing more than a brand name.  It is a familiar term that many people are familiar with and feel is a level of excellence.  If I had to guess, as a LCB instructor, I would be they would be going through basic skill things, such as how to properly hold a knife, how to do a few basic cooking skills (the techniques of saute, grill, roast, simmer, braise perhaps), and some basics about things like how to make your own salad dressings.  They might talk about some basic sanitation things, but I wouldn't think that they would get too involved in that at all.

Working with those basic skills would actually be terrific for us. My husband has developed into a decent "prep chef" (he's good with knives) - and he does sandwiches and salads - but he is totally confused about the concept of using heat (on a stove or in an oven). I would love for him to get some hands on experience with a stove. And although I know how to cook things - I am really terrible with knives. It would be nice to have some time to practice in a situation where - even if we mess everything up 100% - we'll still wind up with dinner on the table :smile: . Robyn

I'm from Pompano Beach, just north of Ft. Lauderdale, and have heard of this cruise on the radio. I'm sure it'll be more of a cooking demonstration than a class; after all, who wants to go to school on their vacation? Please, let know how much fun you had! :biggrin:

This cruise is called a "repositioning cruise". Although there are stops - the main goal of the cruise is to get the ship from its summer cruising area (Alaska) to another venue for the winter (in the case - Asia and Australia - the entire cruise takes 93 days - we're only taking one segment). Therefore - there is a reasonable amount of time at sea (6 out of 12 days) - and the weather isn't what you'd normally associate with a cruise (it will be fall in the north Pacific - don't think we'll be spending huge amounts of time by the pool in bathing suits with drinks with little umbrellas).

This cruise line has various kinds of programs to fill the hours during the days at sea - particularly during these repositioning cruises. And a lot of them are "education" oriented - everything from improving your bridge game to learning digital photography.

You could be right that the cooking course will be more demo than hands-on - but at least I verified that every student will have a cooking station. So it won't be like some cooking classes we've been to at stores where the teacher is up front "in the kitchen" and the students are seated in chairs just watching the teacher cook.

By the way - we're taking this particular cruise because I am totally awful with jet lag - and I want to get to Asia without any (and - since we'll be taking so long to get there - I should be fine). I got the idea after talking with a woman from Australia in a pub in London this year. She says she loves cruises to get from here to there - because they eliminate the jet lag factor. We'll see how it works out. Robyn

This cruise is called a "repositioning cruise". Although there are stops - the main goal of the cruise is to get the ship from its summer cruising area (Alaska) to another venue for the winter (in the case - Asia and Australia - the entire cruise takes 93 days - we're only taking one segment). Therefore - there is a reasonable amount of time at sea (6 out of 12 days) - and the weather isn't what you'd normally associate with a cruise (it will be fall in the north Pacific - don't think we'll be spending huge amounts of time by the pool in bathing suits with drinks with little umbrellas).

This cruise line has various kinds of programs to fill the hours during the days at sea - particularly during these repositioning cruises. And a lot of them are "education" oriented - everything from improving your bridge game to learning digital photography.

You could be right that the cooking course will be more demo than hands-on - but at least I verified that every student will have a cooking station. So it won't be like some cooking classes we've been to at stores where the teacher is up front "in the kitchen" and the students are seated in chairs just watching the teacher cook.

By the way - we're taking this particular cruise because I am totally awful with jet lag - and I want to get to Asia without any (and - since we'll be taking so long to get there - I should be fine). I got the idea after talking with a woman from Australia in a pub in London this year. She says she loves cruises to get from here to there - because they eliminate the jet lag factor. We'll see how it works out. Robyn

this sounds wonderful. when are leaving?

hope you post some pics

• 2 weeks later...
My husband and I are decent home cooks with no formal training.  We have never taken a cooking course before.  We're taking a cruise which offers a Cordon Bleu cooking course at sea.  What are Cordon Bleu cooking courses?  What are we likely to learn in a short course?  If you could do it - would you do it?  Robyn

I'm an Instructor at Le Cordon Bleu as well. At the campus I'm at sometimes there are classes especially designed for the public. Mostly demo, a few basics and there is usually a theme. It's a safe guess to say that your classes will be like this.

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

• 2 weeks later...

I'm an Instructor at Le Cordon Bleu as well. At the campus I'm at sometimes there are classes especially designed for the public. Mostly demo, a few basics and there is usually a theme. It's a safe guess to say that your classes will be like this.

Well - I hope there'll be some "hand's on". If there isn't - it won't be for lack of a work station (16 work stations for 16 people). This trip isn't until September - but I'll report back when we get home. Robyn

Well - I hope there'll be some "hand's on". If there isn't - it won't be for lack of a work station (16 work stations for 16 people). This trip isn't until September - but I'll report back when we get home. Robyn

Sounds like you'll be getting "hands on" experience as well. Which is really the way to learn how to cook.

Enjoy.

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

Are you talking about Radisson Seven Seas cruise line?

I am taking one of their cruises this spring, departing from Monte Carlo, going to Spain, Portugal and France. My attraction to this specific cruise is the focus on food and wine,specifically on Spanish and French cuisines.

I signed up for the Cordon Blue cooking program, limited to 16 attendees as well. I think it was around $400 for a one day session and includes an apron, cookbook and some other goodies. I was told it is mostly a demonstration program, but the executive chef of the ship will teach the class.

I am more excited about the excursions to Bordeaux, Bilbao and Lisbon.

It is a few months away, but I will also report back.

You might ask if you should bring good knives if it is going to be hands on.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Are you talking about Radisson Seven Seas cruise line? 

I am taking one of their cruises this spring, departing from Monte Carlo, going to Spain, Portugal and France.  My attraction to this specific cruise is the focus on food and wine,specifically on Spanish and French cuisines. 

I signed up for the Cordon Blue cooking program, limited to 16 attendees as well.  I think it was around $400 for a one day session and includes an apron, cookbook and some other goodies.  I was told it is mostly a demonstration program, but the executive chef of the ship will teach the class. 

I am more excited about the excursions to Bordeaux, Bilbao and Lisbon. 

It is a few months away, but I will also report back.

It is Radisson. Our cruise will spend more time at sea (since it's a repositioning cruise) - and I was told that the course would be 3 2 hour sessions - and that it would be hand's on. Don't know who will teach it (doesn't matter - I'm sure the person knows more than I do :smile: ). Let us know what you think (about the course and the cruise in general). Robyn

You might ask if you should bring good knives if it is going to be hands on.

Knives for International travel these days? :shock::laugh:

I can't bring nail clippers - or cigarette lighters - and you want me to bring a set of sharp knives :laugh: ? I realize I could pack them in my luggage - but then I run the risk of having them stolen by some aspiring chef who's inspecting baggage. Robyn