• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Extra Fois Gras

Larry 1749

Wow. This is a no brainer.

Slice, sear, serve on crouton, sprinkle with sea salt, eat enjoy and be cheerful.

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

huuuu-ooof.

that was my first reaction when i read the title. the sound of the wind being knocked out of me.

then it occurred to me that that is my new favorite oxymoron. "extra foie gras"...it would make an excellent band name, too.

sear it and schmear it, man. om hazelnut bread, in my personal daydream.

if you have any pomegranates around, they are gorgeous with foie gras. i made a salad over the hols with a drizzle of pomegranate vinaigrette and a sprinkle of pomegranate seeds. delicious and gorgeous.

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

I don't think I have ever considered that there could be such a thing as "extra" or "left-over" foie gras.

When I prepare it, I am lucky to get it to the table without someone sneaking a bit and if you blink, you missed it.......

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Based on a recent post on the Philly board:

Grind it up with some high quality ground beef, stuff the patties with gorgonzola, and enjoy the best burger you've ever had.

• Like 1

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

You can slice it up and stack between layers of wax paper, wrap with foil to make sure it's air-tight and freeze it for future use.

I LOVE foie gras but "too much of a good thing" is another way of looking at it.

How nice it will be to take some out of the freezer in a week or so/sear it to perfection and have an amazing little treat....((-:

Edited by Foodie-Girl (log)

So, whatever happened to the extra 1/4 lobe??? It wouldn't last a day in my house.

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

You could always make a mini terrine with the "extra" foie gras.

I sometimes do a few with different flavors at a time - chilled, not baked - as it is one where all the ingredients are already cooked. There are numerous recipes for these, I am sure you must have one.

The regular terrine molds are too large but I found that the inexpensive plastic butter servers (the tops only) are just the right size for a mini terrine mold. You can find them in any supermarket. After filling them with plastic wrap lining it. I fold the extra plastic wrap over the top and if there is any free space I fill it with folded paper towel to above the edge, then put the top (bottom) on and either tape it or use heavy rubber bands so it presses tightly.

Refrigerated overnight, these are just perfect for brunch or whatever.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Do you have Michael Ginor's book, Foie Gras A Passion? The first recipe, Cromesquis on page 96 by Michelin 3-star chef Marc Meneau, is great for leftover foie. You only need about 1/4 pound.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera