• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

high-proof rum

Behemoth

After transporting countless bottles of liquor intact across the atlantic the bottle of high-percentage rum I brought with me from Germany broke in my bag. I need the stuff for "Feuerzangenbowle", essentially a mulled wine drink into which you drop a flaming cone of rum-soaked sugar. The rum was 57% alcohol by volume, made especially so that the sugar will burn long anough to turn liquid. I have been unable to find an american brand with higher than 80 proof. Any idea if such a product is available in the US?

Bacardi 151, so named because it is 151 Proof, and quite flammable.

My local liquor store also offers several other 'overproof rums' although I can't remember the brand names of any, generally around 150 proof is the highest I have seen.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Another common overproof rum is J. Wray and Nephew, from Jamaica. Its 126 Proof.

Commonly used by Jamaicans as a cure-all for everything. Literally.

http://www.appletonrumus.com/other_wop.asp

The Appleton web site says It accounts for about 90 percent of all rum consumed in Jamaica, and I believe it.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

After transporting countless bottles of liquor intact across the atlantic the bottle of high-percentage rum I brought with  me from Germany broke in my bag.

Out of curiosity, does anybody know at what proof liquor becomes illegal to carry on a plane? Evidently 57% is legit (or they didn't check); I'd think that 160 proof would be right out.

Thanks all, at least now I have some brands to ask for -- my initial search was in the supermarket, so the next step is to check local liquor stores.

Andrew, we wondered the same thing, but couldn't find any specific information.

Another common overproof rum is J. Wray and Nephew, from Jamaica. Its 126 Proof.

I've been a big fan of Wray & Nephew for years. It has a clean, fruity nose and taste that I love; the intensity is like grappa. Pretty easy to find in these parts.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Out of curiosity, does anybody know at what proof liquor becomes illegal to carry on a plane?  Evidently 57% is legit (or they didn't check); I'd think that 160 proof would be right out.

Well, I don't know an actual number, but when I was at the Bacardi distillery in San Juan, they had signs on the bottles of Bacardi 151 advising against purchasing it if you were going to be flying home as airlines have not been allowing it on board.

The TSA website has the regulations, but it's really up to the employee you run into. I don't declare alcohol but wouldn't carry anything over 140 proof on a plane since high proof alcohol is considered hazardous material. Even the TSA recognizes that there are policies and there are laws. A few months ago I saw an airline counter employee take a bottle of vodka from a passenger because he said the FAA prohibited carrying any alcohol. I didn't say anything because I had five liters of 100 proof rum in my bag.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

Good to know, I don't think I'll transport anything like that again. But no alcohol allowed at all?? How does he explain explain cocktail service and duty free? Has this person actually been on a plane? Yeesh. Lately I've been finding american airport employees way more out of control (not to mention a lot more rude) than can be justified by any security risk. As goes the country, so go the airport personnel, I suppose.

. . . Lately I've been finding american airport employees way more out of control (not to mention a lot more rude) than can be justified by any security risk. As goes the country, so go the airport personnel, I suppose.

My experience is similar but on the two occasions when I've been questioned about carrying alcohol in my luggage and I've had a copy of the TSA regulations, the conversation quickly changed from agrressive to passive. And I'm confident that discussion boards like egullet are powerful tools in bringing about a positive change. Knowledge is the most powerful weapon created in the short history of man.

Clearly the airline employee mentioned above didn't know what he was talking about but without a copy of the law, I was powerless.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

If you're ever in Suriname (Dutch Guyana0 try to buy a small bottle of Marienburg. They have Rum with 80 and 90 % by volume (Yes, that's 160 and 180 proof). This is the highest I have ever seen regularly.

It's made by SAB and is not allowed in many European countries. I'm not sure about the USA. But the bottle is so small (0,2 liter) that it's easy to carry with you. That's how the bottles got in my collection anyway. I'm sure that your Feuerzangenbowle will burn and later will you from the inside ('cos it's hot stuff, even without a fire).

The more information, the better.

Rene van Hoven

www.Rumpages.com

The more fun if you can get it when you're there. Cuban Rum is also not allowed in the USA, but there is more of that Rum in the States than you or I can drink in our life.

Forbidden fruits are the best. A fact since Adam and Eve.

The more information, the better.

Rene van Hoven

www.Rumpages.com

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

don't try circumventing the TSA's rules. It's not worth the trouble. Bacardi 151 is available in the USA, as previously posted. There are other high-proof alcohols that will work, as well.

If you'd like, I can see about getting Traveler's Strong Rum approved by the ATF. I think it's something like 90%ABV. The approval takes a while, but we could have that in the USA around summertime if the approval comes through. I could put a few cases of the Strong into the container of One Barrel that is scheduled for summer.

Dan

Welcome to the board Dan. How about a little introduction for all the members here. You must have some influence in the rum industry judging by your post. Are you associated with Travelers Rum in Belize? Hope you enjoy the rum discussion here.

<blockquote> Hi, </blockquote> thanks for the flattering remarks. No, I'm not influential in the rum business. I'm just a rum enthusiast and independant importer. I don't work for Traveller's Distillery, I only buy rum from them. <blockquote> </blockquote>

The business, if you can call it that, is challenging and rewarding. On one hand, there's so much paperwork and red tape involved that there are easier ways to make a buck. Doing business in the tropics also takes a lot of patience. On the other hand, there are some nice rums out there that don't get to the USA. The world will be a better place once the unknown gems of the rum world find their way to the broader market. <blockquote> <blockquote> Dan </blockquote> </blockquote>