• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good Diplomat Cakes?

Woook

Hi all,

My mother's birthday is unfortunately timed on January 8 after Christmas so that her favourite diplomat cake from Bon Ton bakery is not available due to holiday closures. Every year I run into the same problem and every year we've been disapointed by the replacement cakes which are a pale soggy shadow of what the Bon Ton cake is like. Does anybody have any suggestions as to what bakery I should try this time?

Thanks for the advice,

Woook

What about Sweet Obsession Cakes and Pastries on West 16th? I've never tried their Diplomat Cake, but I know that their other desserts are damn fine. Call ahead as I don't believe they take online cake orders: 604-739-0555.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Ran into this same problem myself for my dad's birthday. As Moosh says, Trafalgars Sweet Obsession is a very very good replacement. I'm a die hard Bon Ton fan from way back and never thought that anything could come close, but it is very good. Another suggestion, something that is done for my birthday (I went years without a BonTon cake because falls right in the middle of their closures), purchase cake the last day they are open and freeze it. They freeze very well, in fact, I have half a cake from my dinner on Sunday that needs go in the freezer tonight.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is a Diplomat Cake? I've seen them at BonTon's and Sweet Obsessions but I have no idea what's in them. I googled for a recipe and they varied quite a bit.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Basically a layer of puff pastry, layer of butter cream (taste like equal parts butter to sugar) another layer of puff pastry, layer of booze soaked cake, layer of butter, puff pastry, butter, boozey cake, butter, puff pastry, butter,..etc. Iced liberally with more butter. :wub: mmmmmm......I think that's dinner tonight.

Diplomat Bakery in Richmond?

They make it with 4 layers of alternating puff pastry and pastry cream sandwiched between 2 layers of sponge. You'll have to look up their number as they will make diplomats by order only. They're on the corner of Moncton St. and #1 Rd in Steveston.

Run the earth. Watch the sky.

Yes, I am a fan of Notte's BonTon Bakery. I ordered one of their Xmas log cakes for the family dinner. It was wonderful. And I took a Diplomat to a Xmas Eve dinner. The guests loved it. Ok, back to your Diplomat Cake. Yes, as the previous person mentioned, the Diplomat Bakery makes pretty good cakes in Richmond. Ganaches Patisserie makes a good Chocolates layered cakes. No idea if they make a Diplomat. But give them a call at 604.899.1098.

How far are you willing to go? There is a bakery/cafe in West Vancouver. I cannot recall the name, but it has an artsy name, like Picasso or something. But I have tried their chocolate brownies, spinach brioches. And quite delicous.

Hihi,

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I like the thought of trying out Sweet Obsessions or the place in Richmond. I also googled diplomat cakes in Vancouver and came up with a couple of other hits. Has anybody tried out the Diplomat cake at Valley Bakery in Burnaby, or Fratelli's on Commercial St?

And BTW, freezing the cake is a GREAT idea, although I can't say that I'm that organized at the moment (oops!)

Does this recipe look close to what you've all tried? Diplomat Cake If it does, I might give it a try. It sounds delicious, if not a bit rich.

Edited by CanadianBakin' (log)

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

That seems about right. The Bon Ton version has more layers and I think the buttercream frosting that they use has more butter. It is very very very rich. As I said, it's butter sugar and pastry. That's about it. Let us know how your version turns out.

I just posted this question in the Pastry forum but I think it might be more useful to ask you who have tried the Diplomat Cake. My other tasters don't like rum. I honestly don't know if I would like it in a cake and I don't want to be left eating the whole cake myself. For those of you who have tried this cake do you think it would work with Kahlua instead? Or do you have another suggestion?

Honestly, you can't really taste the rum at all. It just tastes boozy. I'm not sure if Kahlua would work, it may. I would try just making a small batch of the Buttercream with Kahulua to see how it tastes. Good luck.

...My other tasters don't like rum. ... For those of you who have tried this cake do you think it would work with Kahlua instead? Or do you have another suggestion?

although I haven't made this cake, I do bake cakes with buttercream and my thought much above Kahlua is to use brandy or a fruit eau de vie. Rum can be too rummy and I think depending on your taste and what you are serving with the cake. I wold be all too likely to use a raspberry flavour, like himbergeist or framboise. Let us know what you do and how it turns out :blink:

Edited by SushiCat (log)