• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Spice Mix

Vikas Khanna

It is true that the Spice Mixture have a certian recipe. They are different in different regions of India. But frankly speaking, I have been making my own mixtures from day 1. I just pick up my favorite spices from the pantry and blend them. Over the years I feel that the important steps are

1. Never add salt or cayenne pepper

2. Dry roast the spices in a pre heated oven for 10 mins at 250 F before grinding. This process helps in releasing the oils.

3. Make in small batches as they do have a shelf life.

4. Try using them in marination of meats or for curries add them during the end of the cooking process. This helps is retaining the exotic flavors.

5. Use a coffee grinder.

Vikas Khanna

for curries add them during the end of the cooking process. This helps is retaining the exotic flavors.

Vikas Khanna

might it not be better to add them in two stages,

at the start for flavor and

towards the end for aroma

My South Indian friends never added anything at the end except a bit of ghee, and perhaps a few curry leaves. Perhaps in the North it's more acceptable to add your masala just before serving?

Couldn't agree more strongly with the idea of grinding a little at a time though.

• 2 months later...

We never try to add cayenne pepper in the Spice blends because of the strong flavor. Garam Masala or the Spice mix helps in making a dish more aromatic and flavorful. Sometimes when we have cayenne pepper in the mix, it could really spoil the flavor for the person who does not eat Spicy food.

We never try to add cayenne pepper in the Spice blends because of the strong flavor. Garam Masala or the Spice mix helps in making a dish more aromatic and flavorful. Sometimes when we have cayenne pepper in the mix, it could really spoil the flavor for the person who does not eat Spicy food.

Wow, your customers are real wimps! Even a little chili turns them off?

Michael aka "Pan"

dried red chillies, mustard seeds, curry leaves etc tempered in hot oil added to numerous southern dishes at the end

for curries add them during the end of the cooking process. This helps is retaining the exotic flavors.

Vikas Khanna

might it not be better to add them in two stages,

at the start for flavor and

towards the end for aroma

My South Indian friends never added anything at the end except a bit of ghee, and perhaps a few curry leaves. Perhaps in the North it's more acceptable to add your masala just before serving?

Couldn't agree more strongly with the idea of grinding a little at a time though.

Bombay Curry Company

3110 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22305. 703. 836-6363

Delhi Club

Arlington, Virginia

Question for you Vikas,

All these chat masallas, Meat masallas, Sambhar masallas etc. etc.... our Indian stores are full of them, as per your classificaion, are they spice blends ?

They all contain cayenne in varying degrees of heat. The sambhar masalla/powder/mix/blend can sometimes be pretty hot.

Bombay Curry Company

3110 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22305. 703. 836-6363

Delhi Club

Arlington, Virginia

What is the shelf life of spices?  I was going to make my own mix of garam masala and was thinking of keeping the rest I don't use in a tight jar.

A ground blend like garam masala will be fine for about 3 months if you keep it in an airtight jar. It will fade in its intensity as time passes, but that is not always a bad thing. When I make my garam masala I find that it is too intense the day I make it. The fragrances of each spice are still standng out on their own sort of competing for the palate's attention. I like it best a day or so later after it has had time to "mature"and the fragrances mellow and merge into something new. The sum is more than the parts I guess you could say....

Most whole spices, with the exception of cardamom, will keep up to a year. Some like ajwain for instance, may last even longer.

Edward

Edited by Edward (log)

Edward Hamann

Cooking Teacher

Indian Cooking

edhamann@hotmail.com