• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cake for Dessert

This time I am posing a question vs. the usual criticism or commentary of previous writings. ( Yes this is I )

I know most, if not all, up-scale Restaurants today serve no cake as dessert. But why is it still the fashion of so many places not to feature a 'Dessert' menu, but when they do it's all cake and/or Ice Cream?

Also, families at home do the same. What gives ?

I like to eat and cherish good cake, my wife bakes one weekly from scratch.

And it is eaten while having Coffee or Tea some time in the afternoon.

Now, don't mind me if I have a piece before I go to bed. :raz:

Peter

When is it exactly that you think the resturant(s) SHOULD offer cake if they have it? Or should it be limited to afternoon tea at the Windsor? Sorry, I just don't understand the question. I too like good cake, and make them often (not always good cake, but I make them). We have a piece when the mood strikes, kinda like, well....

But if a resturant has it, and I want it, I'll order it for dessert. I'd order fresh cake over frozen cheesecake anytime.

Of all the sweets that exist in the world, I think cake is my favorite. I'll take a good piece of a cake over a cookie or a candy any day. When I get a hankering for baking, I prefer to bake a cake than cookies. I think it is the Anglophile in me that likes to recreate the comfort of a tea. I really like tea cakes and similar non-frosted cakes that are moist enough to just stand up to a great cup of tea or coffee.

There are many, many things that high-end restaurants do not do but other restaurants and home hosts do do. Serving cake as a final course is something that my family counts on, particularly when that cake is chocolate, particularly when that chocolate cake is the world-recognized Chocolate Layer Cake from Gregg's here in RI.

You want to take that away from me, you'll be tearing it from my cold, stiff fingers, friend.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

On the other hand, I'd prefer more restaurants to offer a cheese course as a finish. I make cakes, but I rarely eat them. I'm just not a sweets eater.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I'm not a huge cake fan, personally. I usually feel like most layer cakes are too sweet. I don't mind a good lemon pound cake, or a genoise used in a composed dessert (like a bavarian, or a mousse cake). Dessert-wise, I'm much bigger on things like mousses, or crème brulée.

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

I never really got cake. Too dry, too texturally the same all the way through, too bland, too boring, bah cake.

Plus, frosting is usually pretty digusting, shortening tasting, and certain areas have way more than others, so, no thank you on the cake. I'll take a still-warm in the middle cookie, an ooey-gooey brownie, a slice of fruit or pecan pie, or a nice thick slack of cheesecake (more of a pie than a cake IMO) anyday.

EDIT:

Exceptions to my dislike for cake include fruitcake (love it love it love it), rum soaked jamaican black cake (nothing rum soaked can by bad, see fruit cake), and extremely moist carrot cake or german chocolate.

Edited by NulloModo (log)

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

I thought that was going to lead to a recipe. :sad: But it's a lovely photo. :smile:

But anyway, coffee and cake, mmmmmmm. Has there ever been a more perfect, not to mention a more useful, combination? Coffee and cake -- it's great for breakfast, perfect at 10:00 am, wonderful after (or even for) lunch, a brilliant pick-me-up at 3:00 pm, a nice sweet touch after dinner (or for dinner, especially if you're running to class straight from work), and pretty darn good before bedtime, too. Mmmmmmm.

And I have no complaints whatsoever for a "real" dessert followed by coffee and cake. :rolleyes:

I thought everyone loved cake but me. I guess I'm not such a freak.

I think it's mostly a texture thing. Or lack of texture. I mean, it's a sponge. They're usually way too sweet for me too.

I do like ice cream. Go figure. So, on my birthdays growing up, inevitably there would be a cake and ice cream. Well, I don't like cake yet parents or whomever would feel compelled to pleasure me with a birthday cake. Yuck. My solution was simple. I'd take a couple scoops of ice cream and the smallest piece of cake I could get away with. Then, when no one was looking, I'd quickly mix the cake with the ice cream. No more nasty sponge! If you can't see the cake anymore, it's not there, is it? :laugh:

god, I love cake.

I'm another one who prefers it over candy, chocolate, whatever. :wub: It is my sweet of choice.

I guess I don't see it as having to be 'too' sweet, though. Usually that sweetness is dictated by the icing. A nice glaze is lovely. Birthday cake-style frosting, well, that's another matter. I can like that, too, but it is certainly more cloying than a glaze.

And now that I'm getting used to having a proper coffee/tea time in the afternoon, I have really come to appreciate cake with coffee. (I'm one of those people who can't drink coffee after oh, 6pm, without being up all night. pity. When did this happen, dammit?? :rolleyes: )

mmm cake. :wub:

Cake as a concept covers a lot of ground in my mind, because it's all tied up with people and friendships spanning many years. We only had cake on special occasions when I was growing up. The actual process of eating it is only a fraction of what I think of when I think - Cake.

First there's the batter. The batter as it comes together is always very satisfying, mainly because home made cakes are so easy to prepare and the payoff is so high. Many people just adore it when you bake a cake just for them, it’s a very nice gift. I love the smell and taste of a vanilla flavored genoise just before it goes into the pans for baking. Greasing the pan is a task that was always my job as a child. I remember the pans of my mother's kitchen, we had one large rectangle that she used to make sheet cakes, the two round pans, and one small rectangular pan with a dent in one corner.

The time that the bare cake comes out of the oven and is set to cool marks a low point in the process for me. It doesn't smell right until it is cool. A warm cake can't be decorated. I must do chores or otherwise occupy myself. I think of the times when I didn't have the patience to wait and either broke it into pieces in the process of taking it out of the pan or ruined a frosting job because it wasn't cool enough.

The biggest and best part of cake is the decorating process. I love to do it, even if it turns out sloppy - it's the part with the most heart. I love to experiment with fillings and icings, I love to add the last details, pipe things, think of the best fillings, nuts, berries, caramel or chocolate layers, fillings incorporating preserves, cream (not too much cream), etc. My absolute favorite part is the last step when I mix up a little batch of royal icing, color it a persons favorite color, and pipe their name on the cake.

aude1.JPG

aude4.JPG

I don't like cakes that are too sweet, and have adjusted a recipe to suit our tastes. At my house, the frosting must be made with real ingredients, no shortening. We use Julia Child's creme au buerre anglaise incorporating kirsch.

Audes' birthday cake:

4 eggs

1 1/2 t. vanilla

125 g. cane sugar

1/2 t. salt

40. g. butter

125 g. cake flour in U.S., type 55 in France

1 t. baking powder (optional) (I say this because I once used self rising flour by accident and it turned out fine - the above cake does not incorporate rising agents other than the egg)

Prepare the pan, measure all ingredients, melt butter, preheat oven to 350F/180C.

Beat the eggs and sugar at high speed until it turns a pale yellow and gets nice and thick and yummy. Once the sugar mixture is thick, quickly fold in 1/3 of the flour mixture which has been sprinkled over the top. add 1/2 of the butter, then another 1/3 of the flour, then butter and end with flour. Bake 30 minutes in a round pan. When cool, slice it through the middle to make 2 layers.

*imho, The best accompaniment to a wedge of chocolate cake at midnight is a large glass of cold whole milk.

I usually pass on cake. I've had more than my share of letdowns from beautiful cakes that were dry or just didn't taste very good. If I order dessert in a restaurant I want to be pleased with my selection. I'll stick to espresso with a side of sambuca to satisfy the need to end a meal on a sweet note.

KathyM

In my family, any get together means there must be cake for dessert. When I bring food to my grandparents, all my grandmother cares about is if there's cake for dessert! She could care less about dinner.

I'm not a huge cake eater, but do have fond cake memories from my childhood. My best friend Judy's mom always had a yellow cake with chocolate frosting in the refrigerator. Whenever I'd go over there after school, she'd offer us a slice, and we'd sit and watch soaps with her while we ate. To this day, I love a nice, icy cold moist yellow cake, with thick fudgy frosting, all courtesy of Betty Crocker, of course.

:biggrin: Pam

Edited by pam claughton (log)

I love cake, but I won't order it at restaurants unless I already know that it's really, really good. But homemade cake...YUM! Any time of day. There's one Austin egullet member who will bake a cake and bring it to our gatherings at the drop of a hat. I always try to find a way to get her to bake and bring a cake.

Cake as a concept covers a lot of ground in my mind, because it's all tied up with people and friendships spanning many years.  We only had cake on special occasions when I was growing up.  The actual process of eating it is only a fraction of what I think of when I think - Cake. 

The biggest and best part of cake is the decorating process.  I love to do it, even if it turns out sloppy - it's the part with the most heart.  I love to experiment with fillings and icings, I love to add the last details, pipe things, think of the best fillings, nuts, berries, caramel or chocolate layers, fillings incorporating preserves, cream (not too much cream), etc.  My absolute favorite part is the last step when I mix up a little batch of royal icing, color it a persons favorite color, and pipe their name on the cake. 

*imho, The best accompaniment to a wedge of chocolate cake at midnight is a large glass of cold whole milk.

How eloquently expressed. You make me nostalgic for the many cakes I have loved. I would like to point out though that "cake" seems to mean slightly different things to people. imho, dacquoise, baked chocolate mousse cake-refrigerated and frosted with more rich dark mousse, ethereal (sp?) or a genoise with lemon curd and great wisps of softly whipped cream are all cake to me. AND damn fine cake too.

I have converted many cake haters...but I agree with other 'posters' bad cake is a waste of calories and space. I too like a cheese plate and we no longer seem to have the luxury of time it requires to digest a meal before pushing down a big ol' slab o cake. After a full meal I am not looking for another 900 calories of cake - too difficult.

Now let's talk about cake for breakfast -the real breakfast of champions!

One of my favourite moments the day after boxing day was to wake up at 10 am realise I didn't have to go anywhere with anything and enjoy the last big chunk of trifle right out of the bowl! YUM

Life! what's life!? Just natures way of keeping meat fresh - Dr. who

I love cake, but I won't order it at restaurants unless I already know that it's really, really good. But homemade cake...YUM!  Any time of day. There's one Austin egullet member who will bake a cake and bring it to our gatherings at the drop of a hat. I always try to find a way to get her to bake and bring a cake.

This reminds me of a woman I used to work with. We were both waitresses at a Cape Cod restaurant and she would always bring in the most amazing cakes whenever it was someone's birthday. Her cakes were made from scratch and had a whipped cream, mousselike frosting with a hint of liquor. They were just to die for. She was a character, so generous, but then we found out she'd been stealing from the restaurant, and was fired. Made us wonder if cakes really were from scratch.... :wink: Pam

I am a cake person and the sweeter the better. I know many here consider it a blasphemy, but my birthday (even at 35) still isn't the same without a slice or four of basic yellow with white frosting grocery store birthday cake (preferable a layer cake) with the big frosting flowers that change the color of your tounge for a week.

Bill Russell

I thought that was going to lead to a recipe. :sad: But it's a lovely photo. :smile:

Sorry about that, but I don't have it -- it's a secret at the level of the formulas for Coke or WD-40!

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Count me in as a cake lover, and a fan of most cake-like baked goods.

I consider layer cakes a family affair, something easily yet lovingly made. As a child I loved licking the bits of extra batter or frosting out of the bowl and helping my mother decorate the cake. I rarely order a layer cake in a restaurant because there are way too many cakes out there that are dry and dull. The cake must be moist and floverful: my birthday isn't complete without carrot cake with cream cheese frosting and decorated with marzipan bunnies. :wub:

I love making cakes for parties and people's birthdays and I have a friend who insists our annual spring party wouldn't be the same without my blackberry/lemon layer cake.

I also enjoy tea cakes and pound cakes and find both homemade and purchased versions to be good.

beautiful cake, bleu

Yum, cake.

Definitely like it, love it even. Homemade is best, but I'll try a small slice of just about anything. I think it's one of those positive association things for me. Cake = celebration = happy.

I don't have it very often though, it really is a treat.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

Yum, cake.

Definitely like it, love it even.  Homemade is best, but I'll try a small slice of just about anything.  I think it's one of those positive association things for  me.  Cake = celebration = happy.

Same here, but make mine a big piece and don't skimp on the buttercream!

Moist carrot cake with cream cheese icing tops my list, with homemade chocolate cake and buttery chocolate icing as a close second.

This is an interesting topic for me, since I've never really felt strongly about cake one way or another, but in my youth I loved chocolate cakes with chocolate frosting. My favorite cake is a Mississippi Mud cake, coated with warm frosting while still hot from the oven, so that it's so melty and fudgy that you cannot remove it from the pan until served. Not pretty, but very good.

My mother-in-law said, of her one pregnancy, that she was so careful not to ingest anything that one shouldn't ingest while pregnant (she didn't take aspirin, drink a single beer or go near anyone who had smoked a cigarette recently) and she said that she wasn't allowed cake for the entire term that she was carrying. Supposedly, there is too much sodium in cake for pregnant women to ingest, and so she was forbidden to even think about having a slice. As a result, she craved cake in to the point of going mad.

Personally, I would have just had a piece. How bad can cake be for pregnant women? At least, to the minds of any normal human, even when thinking obsessively about diet prohibitions. I mean, even the youngest toddlers are allowed to mush cake in their mouths, right?

Those are gorgeous cakes. Your friend's smile, in the last photo, says it all. :smile:

How do I feel about cakes? I love that they can be simple or extravagant, but have the same fundamental form. They're sort of like hats--there are the demure ones, like tea cakes, and then there are the ostrich-and-peacock-feathered ones..........i.e., peach layer cake with toasted-coconut frosting. :wub: