• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Market Lunch (at Eastern Market)

Kanishka

I was there this morning and unfortunately the news is sad but true. It is still open on weekends, but not until 11 and then they only serve lunch.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

On a bright note, the produce vendor outside, he always sets up on the corner of 7th and what ever that cross street that is directly across from the entrance to the tennis courts/flea market (hmmm, you'd think I would know what street that is by now!), anyway, he had some lovely tiny, tiny fingerling potatoes (cooked them whole for about 5 minutes in simmering salted water, then suate them in butter) and a huge crate of turnip greens (sauted with shallot, garlic, and butter until they wilt).

There's also a new meat vendor outside that sells organic buffalo meat (a bit pricey), but he had some tasty buffalo jerky..think he is only there on Saturdays. He's from Cibola Farms in Culpepper, VA and has 5 or 6 huge coolers of frozen meat, buffalo, goat, various sausages and ground meat. www.cibolafarms.com

Also the poultry guy directly across from the cheese guy has been bought by the asian produce guy and I think he has already improved the selection, they were having a sale on duck parts today, and I picked up 6 lovely chicken thighs that ran me less then $3!

There's also a new meat vendor outside that sells organic buffalo meat (a bit pricey), but he had some tasty buffalo jerky..think he is only there on Saturdays.  He's from Cibola Farms in Culpepper, VA and has 5 or 6 huge coolers of frozen meat, buffalo, goat, various sausages and ground meat.  www.cibolafarms.com

They are also at the DuPont market on Sunday mornings.

Wearing jeans to the best restaurants in town.

Also the poultry guy directly across from the cheese guy has been bought by the asian produce guy and I think he has already improved the selection, they were having a sale on duck parts today, and I picked up 6 lovely chicken thighs that ran me less then $3!

Yes, Mr. P (as I know him) bought out the poultry guys right before Christmas. His plan is to become as competitive as Mel at the other end of the market.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

• 2 weeks later...