• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Austin] Andiamo

LDLee

I just read a post on the Fodors travel forum about Andiamo. Apparently, it is as a hole in the wall near Rutland at North Burnet with the best Italian food in Austin. I did not believe the first post, but a second person posted saying it blew away Vespaio, which I know is excellent. The owner, Giovanni Coccianti, previously owned Bellisimo in Fairfax, Virginia.

One person described Andiamo "as close to authentic italian cooking as I have had in the last 12 years stateside."

Most main dishes range from $15 to $20. The Menu Gastronomico, a five course meal of antipasti, pasta, fish, meat and dessert, is a bargain at $40. According to several people, the restaurant does not have a liquor license; so, remember to bring a bottle of wine to serve with your meal.

Andiamo's web page

Dale Rice's review

Edited by LDLee (log)

"As far as I'm concerned, bacon comes from a magical, happy place" Frank, John Doe

I went to Andiamo a few months ago. I thought the food was fabulous. We even got complementary wine because the restaurant did not have their liquor license yet. The service was attentive and informative. The waiters knew the dishes and their recommendations were right on.

Haven't had a chance to get back there, but I am sure planning on it.

Maddie

I've been hearing a lot of good things about this place on various message boards and have been meaning to try it. I made one failed attempt about a month ago b/c the place is closed on Sundays. So if you are coming in from out of town and want to give it a go, plan accordingly. :biggrin:

My wife and I went there for dinner and for lunch and thought it was pretty good. Especially for Austin, where there aren't that many good italian places.

My wife really liked her food both times we went. I wasn't a huge fan of the mushroom ravioli that I had for lunch - I think mine are better :rolleyes: I would particularly recommend calamari - either the appetizer with polenta or the entree.

The owner is a very colorful and friendly guy from Italy. He'll loves to come by and talk to the customers. It's an experience in itself.