• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheap/Moderately-priced dinner in Whistler

Ling

I'm going up to Whistler with some friends for the weekend and we're looking for a place to have dinner on Saturday. There will be about 13 ppl and most of us are students so we don't want to spend too much, if possible. Also, one of the girls is vegetarian so I don't know if a burger place is a great idea because then she's pretty much limited to eating a veggie burger (yuck). Any suggestions?

Wine list is not that important because we'll be getting smashed later that night anyway. :laugh:

edit: Any lunch suggestions would be great too--I'll be eating lunch alone since everyone will be snowboarding until 3pm.

Edited by Ling (log)

Are you following me around Ling? :biggrin:

We're heading up to Whistler this weekend ourselves. Sorry I can't help with any recommendations now as we've never been there before. We're going up on Thursday and if we come across anything I'll post on Friday - will that be too late for you?

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

Ling,

I'd suggest Citta for a light lunch and either the Brewhouse, which is lots of fun or Umbertos restuarant Trattoria Di Umberto (he also has Il Caminetto) for something not too high end but fine dining none the less.

Derek

Ling,

I'd suggest Citta for a light lunch and either the Brewhouse, which is lots of fun or Umbertos restuarant Trattoria Di Umberto (he also has Il Caminetto) for something not too high end but fine dining  none the less.

Great suggestions. Citta has fantastic French onion soup from what I remember. Have never actually eated at the Whistler Brewhouse, just consumed massive quantities of alcohol there. :rolleyes: The Trattoria may be on the upper end of a student's budget. Though fish and meat main plates range from about $25 to $33, their pasta dishes are all under $19.

If you're up for crepes, raclette or fondue, then definitely hit Crepe Montagne. Excellent comfort food and rather inexpensive. And there's also Kypriaki Norte for Greek/Mediterranean... and belly dancing if you're already smashed! :wink:

But dear God woman: you're not going to be up on the slopes?! Blasphemous!! :raz:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

^I am terribly uncoordinated on the slopes. Let's just say it took me about 2 hours to get down the bunny slope in grade 10, and this is after the snowboarding instructor gave me a private lesson after all my classmates started whizzing down the mountain! My legs were completely bruised for weeks.

Crepe Montange sounds good, as does Citta. Are these places open for dinner, or lunch only? I love Greek food, so Kypriaki sounds good too.

Are you following me around Ling?  :biggrin: 

We're heading up to Whistler this weekend ourselves.  Sorry I can't help with any recommendations now as we've never been there before.  We're going up on Thursday and if we come across anything I'll post on Friday - will that be too late for you?

No, I'm leaving late Friday afternoon or early evening. :smile:

We had a fantastic gourmet pizza a while back, but can't remember the name of the restaurant. Will post when my buddy gets back to me and find out the name.

It's casual, low priced for Whistler standards and the pizza was top notch.

For now, I will just shill this link brazenly to the Tsunami Relief Fund that are hosting a benefit on Friday, January, 7th, 2005 in Whistler. :rolleyes:

http://www.mediaroom.tourismwhistler.com/w...ase.asp?pid=515

I second Crepe Montagne. Chef Bernard seems to please everyone who goes there. For a kick-ass burger, Splitz grill is THE place to go, and your friend can always order a huge "a la minute" caramelized banana split!

Eddy M., Chef & Owner

Se.ed Artisan Foods, Vancouver BC

Follow Se.ed's growth at: http://spaces.msn.com/members/fromseedtofood/

Crepe Montange sounds good, as does Citta. Are these places open for dinner, or lunch only? I love Greek food, so Kypriaki sounds good too.

Crepe Montagne and Citta are both open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Unsure about Kypriaki for lunchtime, but it's definitely open for dinner hour.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Dare I suggest Mongolie Grill? It's not too expensive and certainly caters to all types of eaters. If you are able to make it to sunday brunch, make sure to check out Wildflower in the Pan Pacific- hands down the best brunch in Whistler (I know that's not saying much but seriously, it's GOOD).

There's also the Crabshack -good food and fun too, a good young crowd -here's a link to their menu

http://findwhistler.com/page.cfm/626

Auntie Em's in the upper village (beside IGA Marketplace) has great breakfast and sandwiches and what not- I've been there every hung-over day I've spent in Whistler.

Here's a link with restaurant listings that might help:

http://www.out-there.com/bc02rs.htm

The problem with restaurants in Whistler is that pretty much every restaurant is expensive even if the food is cheap because the rent is so high.

"Never eat more than you can lift" -Miss Piggy

I second Crepe Montagne. Chef Bernard seems to please everyone who goes there. For a kick-ass burger, Splitz grill is THE place to go, and your friend can always order a huge "a la minute" caramelized banana split!

Is this the same Chef Bernard who owns a breakfast place? If so, I love the breakfasts there so I'll give Crepe Montagne a try.

hands down the best brunch in Whistler (I know that's not saying much but seriously, it's GOOD).

Hmm, I don't normally do the hotel brunches, but I've had some very good breakfasts in Whistler: La Brasserie des Artistes has always served decent Eggs Benedict for a good price...it's not fancy, but it's good. Kind of diner-y Eggs Ben, which I suppose is an oxymoron :raz:

I also had a really extraordinary brunch one late September Sunday at Araxi, outside in the sunshine...the food and wine were both very good, although the company and the weather are what made it really stand out.

Of course if you give me lots of coffee and hot food to help with the hangover (usually hungover on a Saturday morning in Whistler, somehow :hmmm: ) I guess I don't ask for all that much of brunch :wink:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

I also can reccomend Chef Bernard's, it's been the best breakfast and lunch we've had at Whistler (we've been there the last 3 years). BUT and this is a BIG BUT..........his place is VERY small and 13 people would fill 3/4 of the seating. Plus we always have to wait well over 1/2 hour to squeeze two people in.

Most of the more student geared (inexpensive) restaurants are very small, where 13 people would take up the whole place. You'll need to look at larger restaurants to seat you all.

If your alone for the day, I'd go down to Vancouver and go to the Granville Market. It's got fabulous shopping and food! The drive really isn't bad and it's a auesome foodie market unlike anything I've ever seem in the States. Pick up some supplies there and make your freinds a SIMPLE dinner, they'll die over it!

We've also eaten at the Mongolian Grill. You pick out all the components to your custom stir fried meal, including the sauces that go into it. Having a background in food I had a great meal there. But my husband who picked out his own sauces wasn't happy at all with his meal. He'd rather have someone else pick out what goes good with what. It's sort of a fun place............but you need to be a little familar with their restaurant and guide any freinds who aren't food savy. Although they do have signs telling about their sauces and how to go about dining there..........if the place is crowded (which it always is) your view to the signage on the walls is limited, plus it's not brightly lit in the room.

Have fun, it's a wonderful area!!! We are heading up the Deer Valley (now they have restaurants) this week to ski and will be back to Whistler for spring skiing. I wish I could talk you into trying to ski again. Honestly some of the bunny slopes are harder to ski on then the intermediate slopes..........if your not on enough of an angle going down hill it's pretty hard to learn how to ski. Just don't start skiing at Snowbird, their beginer runs are what most places mark as intermediate.

If your alone for the day, I'd go down to Vancouver and go to the Granville Market. It's got fabulous shopping and food! The drive really isn't bad and it's a auesome foodie market unlike anything I've ever seem in the States. Pick up some supplies there and make your freinds a SIMPLE dinner, they'll die over it!

That's funny :laugh::laugh:. Sorry. It's at least a 2 hour drive from Whistler to Granville Island. It's not quite across town. I imagine that they are leaving Friday evening. I know I wouldn't drive back into the city for a 2 hour shopping spree. The idea is very thoughtful though.

Derek

I lived in Whistler for two years, and loved both Crepe Montagne and Splitz Grill.

No, Bernard Casavant isn't affiliated with Crepe Montagne -- however, as you seem to already know Chef Bernard's is a fabulous place to go for breakfast.

I am very ho-hum on the food at Caramba and Mongolie Grill, to be honest. But I'm also coming up short on where you can go for dinner that's not too expensive (and not sushi).

For a casual lunch spot off the beaten path, I hear the new Cracked Pepper in Function Junction (south of the Village) is fantastic. Soups, stews and sandwiches -- all fresh and I hear tasty.

As someone else said, pretty much everything is relatively expensive.

Edited to add: I used to know someone who worked at Citta, and back then (5 years ago), they served canned Campbell's Soup. So I'm not sure if they're still doing that, but it sorta put me off of the place, food-wise. Now, I'll have a beer there with friends, sure, but not too keen on the food more than just nibblies. Could have changed, but that's what I knew then :)

Edited by Xando Head (log)
Food Lover -- nothing more, nothing less

I also can reccomend Chef Bernard's, it's been the best breakfast and lunch we've had at Whistler (we've been there the last 3 years). BUT and this is a BIG BUT..........his place is VERY small and 13 people would fill 3/4 of the seating. Plus we always have to wait well over 1/2 hour to squeeze two people in.

Most of the more student geared (inexpensive) restaurants are very small, where 13 people would take up the whole place. You'll need to look at larger restaurants to seat you all.

Thanks for your suggestions! I've had breakfast at Chef Bernard's and I loved it. I haven't eaten at Crepe Montage though. And I actually like like 2 minutes away from Granville Island. We're just going up to Whistler for the weekend. :smile:

and back then (5 years ago), they served canned Campbell's Soup.

Does not everyone serve Campbells soup?

The problem with restaurants in Whistler is that pretty much every restaurant is expensive even if the food is cheap because the rent is so high

That is true.

Junction cafe at the campground is one of the fav local hangouts.

Sushi Village one of the fav locals hang outs

Tapleys pub food is cheaper and good and all the locals hang out there, cittas is cittas and always will be, upstairs you are definetly in the whistler zone.

Boston Pizza in the creek side, Hauses pub.

Earls, Milstones, The original and Blacks Pub.

After that you are talking like a hundred bucks

steve

Cook To Live; Live To Cook

Oh, yes, and they serve the dish that sparks intense cravings five years later ... the spicy agedashi tofu. I swear there's opium or something in the sauce, because I completely crave that dish... Yum...

Food Lover -- nothing more, nothing less

Oh, yes, and they serve the dish that sparks intense cravings five years later ... the spicy agedashi tofu. I swear there's opium or something in the sauce, because I completely crave that dish... Yum...

You can enjoy the same spicy agedashi tofu at Toshi's on 16th at Main. I hear that Toshi is the originator of that dish when he used to be at Sushi Village.

I used to lug up my espresso machine.

Seriously. Because no-one wants to know me before I've had my espresso. No-one. And I hate Starbucks lattes.

Now I have a pump-driven machine though, so I have to suffer with whatever I can scrounge up there, but geez, why didn't I take my Bodum last time? Idiot. Really, it's such a little thing compared to an espresso machine! and you can have a nice coffee in bed if you like before heading out for breakfast!

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

I had a VERY bad coffee experience there on New Year's Day. I am still trying to recover. But it was at SB. We always stop at Bernard's across from the Chateau on our way to the lifts for a little something to drink on the ride up. It is always good.

As for restaurants, someone told me about a restaurant across from the Husky station. Oyster something? They thought it was great and well priced.

(Why is it that just about every direction to anywhere in Whistler references the Husky station and has done so for 30 years or more?)

Edited by Foodie in Vancouver (log)

Cheers,

Karole