• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2002

Priscilla

Liza, I think twenty minutes was too much last night.  I might even try ten.  I am expecting a heap of mangu de platano to be on the table tonight: yellow plantains mashed with butter and garnished with bacon or sausage or egg, vinegary onions, or whatever.  Pass the Presidente.   :biggrin:

We had barbequed spareribs that had been marinated in Dr. Pepper for about 20 hours.  I know this sounds like a recipe you might pick up in the Weekly World News, but they were delicious:  tender and juicy, with a very slight sweetness.  Delicious!  We also had watermelon, a green salad from romaine lettuce from our garden, and stewed rhubarb over yogurt.

with Sichuan peppercorn and dried lemon crust;

wasn't the crust overpowering?  as we've discussed, this is one *very* strong spice.

Yes, tommy, it is strong. But not overpowering

1) if one is used to heat

2) likes Sichuan peppercorns

3) uses it judiciously.

Too, by crust I mean some nice crunchy bits.

Today's entry: Brined chicken quarters with a chipotle/adobo/cumin/panko crust (I mean a crust); frites and fresh lime mayo; sauteed spinach and garlic rolled in wheat tortillas that were grilled and then sliced on the bias; Romaine lettuce soup (pureed, strained, chilled).

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Eggplant recipe:  I adapted it from a nice book called Eating Fresh from the Organic Garden State (i.e., New Jersey), and the recipe is Sean Lippert's.  I used anchovies packed in oil in a jar; I think she uses the ones packed in salt, but she doesn't really say.  I changed her recipe in a number of ways, first by using small Italian eggplants rather than Japanese eggplants, and then by straining out the dressing before pouring it over the cooked eggplants. There were 5 of us, so I made 5 eggplants.

Leaving the stems on, make 1/4"-thick cuts from the stem down to the bottom of the eggplant all the ways around and then fan each one out. Rub with salt and pepper and olive oil and roast in a 450 degree oven for 20 minutes or until the eggplants are very soft. (You can grill them instead.)

For the dressing, stir together 2 peeled and minced shallots, the juice of 2 lemons, a little chopped lemon zest, some chopped anchovies (as many as you like the taste of anchovy), either packed in oil or, if salted, rinsed and filleted, 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil; some mint leaves, minced (or basil), and salt and pepper. Let the dressing sit for a while and then strain out all the stuff, otherwise it will be very ugly and brown and full of little lumps.

Place the grilled eggplant on a plate and spoon dressing over the top. If the eggplants sit for a few hours in the oil, they get very soft and flavorful.  Serve warm or at room temperature on a big plate all curled around each other like a flower with the dressing poured over and some extra mint leaves (or basil) chopped around it.  (You might not need all the dressing).

I have another cookbook in this series that I love called Cooking Fresh from the Bay Area.   The books are published by Eating Fresh Publications in NJ.  Does anyone know of others in the series?  They focus on organic ingredients, farmers and sustainable agriculture and the restaurants in the area that cook with locally grown organic produce.  I work at the Union Sq. Greenmarket in the summer with my nephew who grows heirloom tomatoes and chile peppers so I'm really interested in local organic foods.

Toby

Bulgarian-style dolma, stuffed grape leaves, outdoor dining after a hot day.

Neighborhood grapevines majorly leafing out, not just an aesthetic observation, like this other neighbor says "Stop looking at my rabbit that way!" just because I happened to be talking about mustard-sour cream sauce.  Grape leaves I can blithely clip clip clip and nobody screams bloody murder.  (Oh I do have permission.)  The smell of grape leaves blanching is like the smell of preternaturally juicy delicious grapes.

Priscilla

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Wilfrid, you should at least be able to get a bottle of them at any Middle Eastern or Greek deli-type store. Krinos brand.

What would you stuff them with.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

You might check out Kalulstyans for grape leaves - they have a number of leaves (Kaffir lime etc.) in the frozen section, and might also be able to order fresh ones if not. NY Fire Patrol Chef mentioned Sahadi's as well.

Back to dinner: salad of baby lettuces from Morse Pitts at Union Square; with the first Chabbey of the season from Cato  Corner cheese; and fresh trout filets baked with thyme.

A handful of Giardelli double chocolate chips for dessert!

Wilfred, you might try a Greek market in the area, but it's typically difficult to find fresh grape leaves, at least around Boston.  When I make Greek Dolmades, I use a brand called Orlando (I think they're better than Krinos).  To ready them (not that you asked for directions, but just in case) for stuffing, you should take them out of the jar, rinse them thoroughly in water and dry them off as much as possible.  Also need to trim the little stems off, then you're good to go.  

Let us know what you end up making!

Adam Balic -- this is one of my favorite summer dinners. Sometimes I use grape tomatoes and feta cheese instead. If I'm feeling very ambitious I mix the tomatoes, cheese, oil and seasonings ahead of time and let them macerate for an hour or so. I keep a half whiskey barrel planter of herbs (thyme, sage, oregano, chives, basil and mint) right outside my back door and just snip whatever I feel like tossing in.

Liza -- What are double chocolate chips (and how did you limit yourself to only a few handfuls)? I love the semi-sweet Ghirardelli chocolate bars for baking but I have to hide them in the pantry or the kids devour them. Surreptitiously. And they leave the wrapper in tact so one would think there is still  a full chocolate bar inside.

Wilfrid, I'm not sure of this but I believe that the grape leaves benefit from marinating in any case.

Wilfrid, I'm not sure of this but I believe that the grape leaves benefit from marinating in any case.

Yup, they do.  I think if you get them fresh you have to steam or boil them for a bit before you can work with them, or maybe you have to cook them in the stuffed phase for longer.  Regardless, they're pretty tough when fresh...

But, Wifred sounds determined to do the fresh thing.

Back to dinner:

Grilled double lamb chops with a mustard and mint crust; served atop three small rosemary crostini to catch the juices; roma tomato halves with provolone slow roasted with EVOO; grilled asparagus (again); a grated jicama and jalapeno salad with lime vinaigrette.

Last night:  Linguini w/ chopped fresh tomatoes, a handful of torn basil leaves, 1 T. of chopped red onion, topped with a drizzle of EVOO; salt and pepper to taste.  Strawberries with cracked black pepper over vanilla ice cream.

Last night:  risotto with roasted mushrooms, chopped parsley and basil mixed in.  On the side: farmers' market tomatoes, sliced/salted/peppered, with chiffonade of basil.  Beringer chardonnay to drink, since that's what went into the risotto with the chicken broth.  Light enough for summer, but still comforting.

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

Planning a American caviar tasting for tomorrow. Received caviar from six states through icaviar: North Dakota, Washington, Tennessee, Missouri, Mississippi and Kentucky. All were priced between $16-20 per ounce.

I've had most of these at Bern's in Tampa, Florida and are an excellent replacement for the $50-75 per ounce Iranian and Russion models.

For a main course I'll serve some grilled Chilean lobster tails (they come about 20 to a pound) with a caper, marjoram sauce and lemon pasta with goat cheese.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

I was looking through my cookbooks last night as I was making dinner (both for further ideas, and also because cookbooks remain one of my fave things to read), and came across a Tuscan dish that's been around since the mid-19th century:  beans and caviar.  In this particular instance, its white beans tossed with caviar.

Will post the recipe later tonight, if anyone's interested.

SA - Would be very interested in the caviar/beans recipe. Thanks in advance.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

Last night I made cream of asparagus soup (served hot, but will have chilled tonight) from Stephen Schmidt's "Master Recipes")

Then Grilled (in fact sauteed) ham, smoked mozzarelle and onion sandwiches (you line the inside of the bread--in this case I used large Balthazar country loaf-- with mixture of mayo, ketchup & and a touch of cognac). From Alfred Portale's "Gotham Bar & Grill" . These sandwiches don't sound much but they are terrific.

The above was more than enough in this weather.

To drink: Marques de Gelida Cava

Cognac? That's very interesting, Yvonne. :smile:

Thursday: What I call Filipino meatloaf, but the name escapes me at the moment (Jaymes or anyone who has experience with Filip. food, help?); its basically meatloaf, but has whole hard boiled eggs, raisins, carrots, chickpeas, and other seasonings. Some versions tie it up with string, presumably to keep the thing from falling apart if you don't cook it inside a bread pan; I don't. This is one of those dishes where you never know what you're going to end up with, sort of like the Asian version of that New Orleans Fat Tuesday tradition -- you know, the cake that's served with a coin hidden inside it, and whomever finds the coin is "king for a day".

Steamed brown rice. Stir-fried green vegetable with garlic and a T. of spicy red bean paste -- (I can't remember the Chinese name -- Jinmyo, help? Its the one where you find yellow flowers still attached. It looks like bok choy but its not).

Soba

I think so. I can easily "see" it with ham, smoked mozzarelle and onion. Or perhaps smoked caciocavallo.