• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2002

Priscilla

using up leftovers...

boiled three very ripe plaintains and mashed with butter.  sauteed ground sirloin with onions, garlic, peppers, carrots and added corn at the last moment (corn was a misstep).

buttered casserole, layered plaintain mash, "refried beans", and meat and corn mixture, and another layer of plaintains.  baked at 350 for 30 minutes until slightly brown.  served with steamed spinach.

no more leftovers!

been working overtime lots, so not really time for my usual de gustibus d'jour

Sunday:  roast chicken with 40 cloves of garlic; roasted lemon potatoes; stewed greens (threw in some diced ham and duck fat for good measure); banana menage a trois (banana rum souffle with banana ice cream, and unsweetened whipped cream (I folded in just a smidge of chopped crystallized ginger into the whipped cream))

Tuesday:  asparagus risotto; leftover roast chicken; homemade cranberry chutney; steamed broccoli; leftover banana ice cream

gonna be stuck at the office tomorrow evening (*frown*), but dinner at Union Square Cafe on Friday....should be fun.

Kept it super-simple last night - I've been going into work early and leaving late this week, so I've been pretty tired recently. But here's what we ate last night:

Kedgeree (inspired by Simon's discussion of it over on the India board) - nice & spicy & smoky & buttery. Undyed smoked haddock, basmati rice, homemade roasted curry powder, mustard seeds, ginger, garlic, onion, chile and sweet butter.

Chapatis from our local take-away

Fresh coriander chutney, homemade

Miss J

Miss J I couldn't find the kedgeree discussion on the India board, but then of course I am inept.  Can you point me to it?  Your dinner sounded fantastic.

Last night's dinner:  Tonkatsu (Japanese fried port cutlet), quick cucumber pickles, sake-simmered carrots, marinated bean sprouts, nice rice from the cooker.  Current fave bottled tonkatsu sauce is Kikkoman, which surprised me but the proof's in the pud and when it appeared at our house, due to being the only choice in the supermarket and I wasn't running to the Japanese supermarket just for that one item no way, we were astounded by its spicy goodness.  I like it when ignorant snobbishness, my OWN ignorant snobbishness, gets a little cured.

Priscilla

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

My family was visiting from Denver, and after several restaurant nights I had the whole tribe over for dinner yesterday.  I picked up some wonderful stuff from Layla, our just-reopened Mediterranean place in Tribeca: baba ghanouj, muhammara (red pepper/walnut dip), spicy lavash chips, and carrot salad (shredded carrots, blood oranges, red wine vinegar, olive oil, a little orange flower water).

I smoked two silvertip roasts, with a spicy Tex-Mexish dry rub.  Accompaniments, in addition to the carrot salad: Yukon Gold chunks, roasted with garlic and rosemary; blanched green beans dressed with soy, rice vinegar, sesame oil, garlic & ginger, topped with crisp-fried shallots.  Dessert: killer brownies and whole strawberries.

A multi-culti jumble, I know, but it's what I felt like making and everything was devoured.  We all had a wonderful time...even though a pigeon relieved itself on my dad's jacket while we were sitting in the garden.   :biggrin:

This might be another thread, but tonight we're cooking a cold-air processed chicken, or Smart Chicken, the only brand employing this European technique in the US. Course, when D. mixed together melted butter, lemon thyme and foie gras terrine to rub under the skin, who the heck cares what the chicken tastes like. But I will report back nonetheless. Side of asparagus and morel tart (thanks, B Edulis!) and an almond mole.

I'll quote from the packaging:

"During a trip to Europe, I made what I consider a culinary discovery: European chicken tasted more like farm-fresh birds I remembered from my childhood. The European chickens tasted different because, as I found out, they're processed by a cold air method instead of the water immersion/absorption method commonly used by processors here in the States.

So I brought the technology home to the Midwest and created Smart Chicken, a premium poultry that introduced consumers to the superior quality and fresh taste of Air-Chilled chicken. MBA Brand Smart Chicken is the only chicken in the US currently using this flavorful method.

The Smart Chicken you are about to enjoy has the natural flavor that Europeans have been enjoying for years..."

- Mark A. Haskins, President and CEO, Smart Chicken.

I found out about this bird from the David Rosengarten Report, and dutifully sent my check to Tecumseh, Nebraska.

More, naturally, after the bird is cooked!

The Loblaws grocery chain in Canada sells air-chilled chicken. Less water, which is always a good thing except when you want some water.

I also follow Jacques Pepin's dictate: Nehver ehver wassh chic-ken. Pat it dry. Then season it. Start at 450 F and that will kill any bacteria.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Not Dinner , but my wife and i had a little picnic lunch today. I have just worked 12 days straight and it was very nice to take an hour off to go and sit in a field overlooking the estuary.Blue sky, boats on the water and the tree we sat under was in full blossum.

Lunch itself was a sandwhich (my tarragon bread), parma ham, smoked cheese,, plum tomato ,aioli and a can of pop.(i had to work and wife is pregnant so no wine  :sad: Followed by carmelised walnut and chocolate fudge.mmmmm. and the a doze in the sun :biggrin:

Just thought i would share this with you, no fantastic cooking skills , just a lovely time :biggrin:

All the talk here (and other threads) about short ribs made me hungry, so I bought some (appx .5 lb) at the opening day of our farmers market from a local beef producer. Browned in hot oven, tossed in with my basic beans (sage, garlic, olive oil, salt...this time w/small white beans) and braised for 3 hours at 200F. Pulled out the meat, let cool, and picked some off to stir back a bowl of beans...wow. The extra fat and collagen made the beans really creamy.

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

Saturday night, old friends and the introduction of the Significant Other of one.  Chicken thighs cooked slowly as I saw David Rosengarten do a long time ago on FoodTV, accumulated pan juices degreased and reduced to make a little sauce, risotto with diced whole-milk mozzarella and chives stirred in at the end, Clarissa squash gratinate with sage, (I like sage with squash, and like Clarissa better than zucchini; too, its use in Mexican cookery makes it easily findable here in Southern California), a nice redleaf salad, pull-apart bread.  And the new Significant Other survived!  

Priscilla

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Friday night: Portabellos filled with spinach sauteed with butter, topped with nutmeg and Balsamic vinegar, and orzo with sundried tomatoes chez Stellabella (they ruled! plus I used the oil in the dish), artichokes, anchovies, capers, garlic, flat-leaf parsley, and nicoise olives.

Last night: Good ol' fashioned tossed salad, devilled eggs, toasted onion rye slathered with hummus. We're so eager for summer we decided not to wait for it to have a summery dinner.  :biggrin:

Chow mein noodles with a spicy coriander shoyu sauce; almond soup infused with lemongrass, kaffir lime leaf, black peppercorns, ginger; steamed pea greens and dandelion greens with sautéed dandelion stems and pillow tofu in a mint and lime sauce; char siu (Chinese barbecue pork) with a hot mustard sauce.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Priscilla - the kedgeree discussion happened in the Anglo-Indian thread.

As for this weekend's cooking - Saturday was the FA Cup Final, which was won by the mighty Arsenal FC. Amid the wild celebrations that followed, we did a bit of a backyard barbie for 10 ravenous footie fans:

Chicken Wings 1 - marinated for 48 hours in kejap manis (sweet soy sauce), light soy, a bit of sugar, star anise, and cinnamon cinnamon sticks. Stretched onto bamboo skewers for grilling and basted with dark sesame oil.

Chicken Wings 2 - marinated for 48 hours in a paste of garlic, ginger, lemongrass, fish sauce, and sugar and finely minced roasted peanuts. Stretched onto bamboo skewers for grilling, and served sprinkled with fresh coriander.

Chicken Wings 3 - marinated for 48 hours in a paste of garlic, ginger, birds eye chiles, fish sauce, fresh coriander and shallots. Stretched onto bamboo skewers for grilling and basted with chile oil. (Yep, they were HOT.)

Potato Salad - Jersey Royal new potatoes boiled in their skins, then halved. Dressed while still warm with minced shallots and panchetta cubes sauteed in olive oil, and minced raw celery, red wine vinegar and my extra-virgin Ligurean olive oil. Finished off with lots of freshly ground black pepper and a dusting of Malden sea salt.

A big mixed salad of soft & spicy leaves, blanched sugar snap peas, cucumber, celery, salad onions and courgettes, dressed with a vinaigrette of lime juice, zest, grapeseed oil, fresh coriander and salt & pepper.

Lots and lots of country bread from Baker & Spice.

For dessert: lashings of Haagan-Daas dulce de leche ice cream with homemade crisp almond biscuits (cookies).

All this and we'd been to a gig in Birmingham the night before.  It was a triumph of preparation! :biggrin:

Miss J

Yesterday - had friends over that I hadn't seen in a while & so did a bit more than usual.  The meal started with terrine of beetroot & confit of celeriac bound in an aspic-type jelly.  Accompanied with home made seeded loaf and raw spinach salad.

Mains - chicken breast (works better w lamb but one guest doesn't eat red meat) marinaded in Madeira then slow roasted.  Another terrine but of potato and wild mushroom (a la Charlie Trotter) with roasted asparagus and roasted pressed Parma ham (ham strips roasted between two heavy trays).  The sauce was a Madeira & port reduction with some of the chicken stock.

Desert - home made ivory ice cream (white cholocate) with sable of raspberries.  I even managed to rustle up some pettis fours of physalis dipped in caramel (a la Le Gavroche).

Don't know why but I'm a bit knackered today.

*sigh*

tonight I'm stuck at the office -- fortunately, the client's paying for dinner tonight...

Sunday:  spaghetti with garlic, olives and herbs; salad of bitter greens and oranges with a citrus viniagrette; fresh fruit.

Last night:  asparagus quiche; green salad with a white wine viniagrette; a baguette with rosemary butter; apple tarte tatin.

Southern Indian codfish stew-stocked up on curry leaves and coconut milk,codfish at Union Square market yesterday.Saute shallots,ginger,garlic,put on the coconut milk spices and curry leaf.Pop some mustard seeds,chiles,and more curry leaf in hot oil,and add to the stew.Serve along with long beans and rice.Good to go....

Ziti with mint and garlic sauce with peas and pea greens; wild mushroom ragout (lobster, honey, morel, cremini) with red and green bell peppers, ancho, paprika, fenugreek leaves; roasted red and orange plum tomatoes with parmesan and caciocavallo cheeses, topped with rough bread crumbs; roasted jalapeno stuffed with parmesan and fruilano cheeses.

No, I just cored them (with a dental tool, heh) and pushed the cheese in. Actually, my siouxie-sous cored most of them. They were very very big. I like the skin of peppers. I laced them with EVOO, roasted at 325, gave them a squeeze of lime juice and a twist of black pepper after setting the presentation (bed of cilantro on a square black platter).

They were nicely hot but without seeds or spines, nothing markstevens would consider hot.

Thank you. Just to be clear: were they roasted with their lovely cheese filling or roasted, then filled?

Not to muddle this thread, but we like to scope out the medical supply stores for interesting cooking tools, as well, such as lovely tweezers for pin bone removal.

Just thought of a dessert I'd like to try doing at home but don't have the inclination to actually do it in real life:  "Skyscraper" -- this is an actual dessert served in a Chicago restaurant from a few years ago, unfortunately the name of the restaurant escapes me since I saw it made on a "Great Chefs of Chicago" TV special.

"Skyscraper" consists of three tubes of vanilla meringue that have been stuffed with chocolate buttercream, each of which rests atop a cloud of vanilla buttercream.  The three tubes stand upright, supporting a pastry shell holding a miniature scoop of French vanilla ice cream.  Raspberries are scattered across the plate, while swirls of passionfruit, pomegrante and raspberry coulis dot the perimeter of the plate.

*sigh*

I can only dream about it....

Roasted with the filling.

I really only stuff peppers after they're roasted if I will then toothpick them together again, batter, and deep fry them.

Torn roasted peppers make Jacques Pepin cry.

That's my code for a bad thing. As in: "Washing chicken makes Jacques Pepin cry." Or: "Holding the knife like that makes Jacques Pepin cry."