• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2002

Priscilla

Roasted mabo tofu (three kinds of tofu, ground lamb, onion, Thai bird chiles).

Your whole menu sounds delicious, but the mabo tofu, in particular, caught my eye. What are the three kinds of tofu and what other spices/flavourings do you use?

I am interested in the roasted part.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Rhea, for the mabo tofu I used a very silken Korean tofu that I mixed with the cooked ground lamb; some Chinese cotton tofu; some (leftover) deep-fried tofu. These were combined with a rough dice of white onion in ceramic baking trays. The sauce was some ancho paste and some shoyu that mushrooms had been braised in that I wanted to use up, minced ginger and garlic, chile sesame oil, a touch of rice vinegar, some crushed and some whole Thai bird chiles, salt and white pepper.

torakris, this was roasted in a convection oven at 350 F for forty minutes to give the tofu nice roasted edges and pocks. (Mabo of course means "pock-marked".)

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Monday:

Dinner while working OT in Tribeca:

takeout from Blue Ribbon Sushi (ok, so its not quite home cooking but who cares?!?) :wink:

chawan-mushi (BRS's version is pretty authentic, right down to the gingko nuts inside the custard)

wild mushroom miso

sashimi: uni, salmon, hamachi (pristine), saba, cooked lobster, blue crab, toro, octopus, scallops, nori tamago, smelt roe. Fresh pickled ginger. Freshly grated wasabi.

Green tea.

:smile:

------------

tonight (Tuesday): bought some soy sauce chicken from a local Cantonese takeout palace. (note from Soba: China Fun, located on the corner of 64th St. and 2nd Avenue is about as good as being in Chinatown, and that's saying a lot. At least, I think so.) Deboned the chicken, shredded it. Stir-fried along with minced ginger and garlic, shredded cabbage. A little spicy red bean paste, a little hoisin sauce, a little mushroom soy. Topped with minced scallions. Congee. Spicy pickled turnips. Ginger-clove tea. Evian.

SA

Thanks for the mabo tofu recipe, Jinmyo. I actually have most of those ingredients and I'll give it a try later this week.

My dinner last night and lunch today: lamb chops with garlicky tahini sauce, roasted sweet potatoes with zahtar, wholewheat couscous and half an apple (other half went to my puppy).

Open-faced steak sandwiches on grilled Portuguese-type bread, topped with thinly sliced stunted very flavorful Brandywines, the last, the very last--ripped out the moribund vines on the weekend. Sweet potato fries. Very nice broccoli with hollandaise.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Stuffed Chicken Breasts, dredged and seared in a hot skillet and then baked for about 15 minutes.

Made the stuffing out of diced acorn squash, green pepper, onion and celery. Omitted the cheese that was suggested to go in with the stuffing, can't digest the diary.

Stuffed the breasts and closed them up with colored toothpicks. The colored toothpicks were a big mistake! When the chicken was baking the dye used in the toothpicks bleeded into the meat. Guess it's time to put normal toothpicks on the grocery list.

Next time I make this I'm going to also dice up apples and go with a curry / allspice theme to the stuffing.

Crawfish Etouffee that was to die for, served on hot steaming rice. We did a nice red onion and tomato salad on the side. We had some homemade bread (okay we used the bread machine). I still feel like we missed a good side dish.. we had steamed veges.. quite unimaginative.. :wacko:

fd1a1cee.jpg.thumb.jpg

Shrimp al Ajillo with Spanish Rice and Roasted Cauliflower a la Dixon.

THE KITCHEN IS NOW FULLY OPERATIONAL!!! MUHAHHHAHAHAHAA!

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Seared a slice of calf's liver, deglazed the pan with red wine, added cream and crushed peppercorns and bubbled fiercely until it was a sauce. With some artfully arranged aspargus spears on the side. Brie de Coloummiers to follow, and an inexpensive cabernet.

Seared a slice of calf's liver, deglazed the pan with red wine, added cream and crushed peppercorns and bubbled fiercely until it was a sauce.  With some artfully arranged aspargus spears on the side.  Brie de Coloummiers to follow, and an inexpensive cabernet.

HA! you were right when you told me that you'd take a very basic leftover dish and make it sound exciting this morning on egullet. well done.

thai green curry chicken with mung bean noodle, cuz who has time to make rice these days.

Disclaimer: professional kitchen with staff of three. Still, please try this at home.

Grilled asparagus tips and large shrimp served in a chicken and lemongrass broth.

Fingerling potatoes roasted in chicken fat and butter with a spritz of citrus (yuzu).

Lamb rib chops served on a bed of deep-fried asparagus shavings with a pasilla chile sauce around.

Salad of wilted beet greens with a Dijon vinaigrette, fried halumi cheese on crostini.

Packages of pickled beets wrapped in Napa cabbage leaves (blanched in court bouillon with champagne vinegar).

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Wilfrid, very nice. Was there a starch component?

Only God can make rice.

Late supper for two under the only-what's-on-scene gauntlet: Omelette with a load of softly-cooked onions, a few ribbons of ham, and hilariously-named very good-tasting soi-disant Irish Swiss cheese.

(I used to work with an Italian man who found this cheese's name truly disturbing, not in the LEAST amusing. He couldn't understand for the life of him why I thought it was so funny, even when I would explain, "IRISH SWISS cheese, it makes no sense!" His attitude was more like, "Irish Swiss cheese, this is just wrong.")

And leftover broccoli sauteed in butter. Little nutmeg and s & p and then some heavy cream reduced among. Cuban-type bread made by me the other day. Argentinian Malbec.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Pumpkin soup. Of course.

Bolstered with a little roasted garlic and chicken stock, and spiced with coriander, cumin, black pepper, fennel, ginger, cinnamon and a wee bit of tumeric. Swirled with a little creme fraiche and topped with a handful of chopped coriander.

No trick-or-treaters. English kids just don't get it. :sad:

Oh well, at least the League of Gentlemen was scary...

My coq au vin was well flavored, but the sauce was a little thin. Tsk, tsk - sheer laziness. I should have spooned a little out, thickened it, then stirred it back in. And a weirdly flavored Zinfandel - I usually enjoy a Zin, but this was strong on the boiled sweet/root beer sort of effect. Hmmm. Managed to force it down though.