• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Landmark in Livingston

jb_973

First - Happy New Year everyone. Here's to a 2005 full of good food :)

After living in West Orange for just over six months, we've become used to the drive out down Route 10 to the shops in East Hanover (as well as the trips to Bill & Harry's, Penang, Zen... and soon a long-overdue first visit to Saffron.)

On the drive back, we've always noticed how busy the parking lot is for the Landmark Tavern in Livingston. What is the story behind this place? Is it just reasonable bar food, or something more special?

Actually, we always comment that for the size of the place, and the amount of cars outside, we would guess it is rather crowded inside!

Jason

Landmark was a finalist in the Munchmobile's best burgers and best bar food competition a few years ago.

Food's fine, beer's cold, place is not expensive. Tends to be popular with teams after softball, basketball, etc

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Some expectation setting.... It's a casual place and the price is right.

The sign outside stating "the best ribs and pizza in town" should be taken down.

There's better pizza and ribs in the area.

If you get a beer, drink bottled beer, the tap stuff is stale and flat, and use the bathroom before you get there.

Enjoy!

about 3-4 years ago, when the landmark first introduced it's pizza and ribs menu options, i would eat at the landmark probably every week or so. since that time the landmarks pizza and ribs have gone downhill considerably. the pizza use to be extremely thin - very similar to the star tavern's pizza. now it is too thick for me to even make a comparison. the ribs use to be moist, flavorful, and generously portioned for a relatively low price ($16/rack). since that time, the quality of the ribs have gone downhill (they're usually dry and overcooked), the portion size has decreased, and i have discovered other better places. the burgers are very, very good when they're not overcooked (which they almost always are).

landmark is a good place to go to eat if you happen to live nearby and want pub-food that is both decent and reasonably priced. however, most people in the bar will be smoking, and i garauntee that if you go anytime after 7pm, you will probably reek of cigarettes.

lastly - service there is almost always really, really bad. there is one waitress in particularly who usually enjoys smoking, talking to bar patrons, playing video games, and going outside (or to the payphone) to talk to her friends -- and all this while your food/drink are clearly ready and waiting to be brought to your table.

on many occasions with this waitress, i have gone up to get the food myself!

not sure why i still go to this place, probably has something to do with living about a mile away.

Frank - Thanks for the advice!

By the way, in your opinion, where is the best place to get ribs in the West Orange / Livingston area?

Hey JB, if you ever ended up taking my tip on Gaffers in West Orange for Fish and Chips on Wednesday night, you'll know the place is legit. And yes, they have good ribs very juicy and meaty. We usually sit at the bar, and go about once a week.

Chatting on pizza in our area is like beating a dead horse. Let me know what you find.

If you go to Gaffers on Wednesday, say hi to Frank, the man who smoothly runs the bar.

Hey JB, if you ever ended up taking my tip on Gaffers in West Orange for Fish and Chips on Wednesday night, you'll know the place is legit.  And yes, they have good ribs very juicy and meaty.  We usually sit at the bar, and go about once a week.

Yes, we did make it to Gaffers for Fish and Chips a few months ago - thanks for the pointer! I've actually been planning on going back there sometime soon to check out their burger. Maybe I'll get a burger and an order of ribs and split it with my wife...

Chatting on pizza in our area is like beating a dead horse.  Let me know what you find.

The closest thing I've found to my old Brooklyn slice is a slice from Famous Ray's in Verona. And even that still has a way to go. I even resorted to frozen pizza!!! After much taste-testing, we recently tried Freschetta pizzas, which are surprisingly good for a frozen pizza (especially when topped off with some fresh mozzarella.)

Jason

I even resorted to frozen pizza

Ha, that's funny. We've resorted too... to buying pizza dough buns from the pizzaria at Essex Green, fresh mozzarella from Shop Rite, defrosting some of Grandma's marinara, and throwing on whatever else we're in the mood for.

Please let us know what you think of the ribs at Gaffers.

As a UK expat, did you ever give us your review on Gaffers Fish n Chips?

Yes, we did make it to Gaffers for Fish and Chips a few months ago - thanks for the pointer!  I've actually been planning on going back there sometime soon to check out their burger.  Maybe I'll get a burger and an order of ribs and split it with my wife...

IMO, the Gaffers burger is overrated. It was decent, but I've had far better burgers at White Mana in Hackensack.

Edited by hitmanoo (log)

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

IMO, the Gaffers burger is overrated.  It was decent, but I've had far better burgers at White Mana in Hackensack.

comparing those two suggests that you might prefer the white manna style over a standard hamburger. they are two different animals, imo.

but i agree that the gaffer's burger is overrated. the best burgers to be found are at my house. i'm convinced that no one in NJ tops my burger. and i can't for the life of me figure out why restaurants can't make a completely kick-ass burger.

Edited by tommy (log)

IMO, the Gaffers burger is overrated.  It was decent, but I've had far better burgers at White Mana in Hackensack.

comparing those two suggests that you might prefer the white manna style over a standard hamburger. they are two different animals, imo.

but i agree that the gaffer's burger is overrated. the best burgers to be found are at my house. i'm convinced that no one in NJ tops my burger. and i can't for the life of me figure out why restaurants can't make a completely kick-ass burger.

Two entirely different bugers, agreed. I'm just saying that if you're going out strictly for a buger, Gaffers is no big wow.

As far as you making the best burger, I'm in! :biggrin:

Actually, sounds like you and schmooty could have a burger contest, as his burger is by far the best I've ever eaten. As I have never had yours, tommy, I'm not passing any judgement. Merely saying that schmooty makes one heck of a burger!

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

Hitman, Tommy, totally agree.

Espec. Tommy - it's not rocket science to make a kick butt burger.

While it's not a bad burger, I've never hyped a burger from Gaffers. I do back their wings, fish & chips, and atmosphere.

Keith, if you're reading - what kind of beef do you use @ Gaffers - or do you get the patties pre-made?

Speaking of burgers, did anyone see last week's Time Out New York tribute to burgers? umumumumumu

• 3 weeks later...
but i agree that the gaffer's burger is overrated.  the best burgers to be found are at my house.  i'm convinced that no one in NJ tops my burger.  and i can't for the life of me figure out why restaurants can't make a completely kick-ass burger.

You MUST go have a burger at PAl's Cabin as soon as you can. It's like a steak on a bun. A fistfull of hand ground sirloin. With all due respect to your own burger, I have yet to find a better one than a Pal's with swiss and sauteed onions.[/red]

Edited by ejebud (log)

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85