• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Taking an opened bottle home.

andiesenji

Apparently the New York State legislature has finally got the message that people who pay premium prices for bottles in a a restaurant want to take them home if not fully consumed.

article here.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Wish this would catch on elsewhere. I imagine the argument is that bringing home open bottles allows people to drink while they drive (though the irresponsible drinkers that I know aren't really gonna be slugging down shots of d'Yquem on the way home from bar-hopping).

The thing is, in my experience, I become a far less safe driver if, knowing that the last two inches of that lovely red I've been sharing is going to waste, I push another glass back before I put on my coat....

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

They now allow this in BC, Canada. When a guest wants to take an opened bottle home, we put a cork in it, put it in a wine box and put our restaurant label along the enclosure. I have done this a grand total of 1 time in the past 8 months. I still thinks it's a good option, even if it's one that is not used an awful lot.

Derek

Have any of you ITB types ever had an problems with the authorities when transporting partially-consumed samples from account to account? They're open containers, we don't usually put them in the trunk, etc. Or do we "get away with it" because they're samples?

Jake Parrott

Ledroit Brands, LLC

Bringing new and rare spirits to Washington DC.

It's also permitted in NJ but has to be in the trunk or someplace where it's inaccessible to the occupants of the vehicle. Originally it was'n permitted at all in the vehicle.

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

Have any of you ITB types ever had an problems with the authorities when transporting partially-consumed samples from account to account?  They're open containers, we don't usually put them in the trunk, etc.  Or do we "get away with it" because they're samples?

Most of our broker/distributor reps use insulated carry bags with pockets for freezerbags, and place the wine in the trunk. If it's really, really hot out we could probably get away with putting it in the back seat with the bag zipped closed.

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

This is all so strange to me, a Scotsman.

I've visited the US a couple of times and noticed a lot of 'open container prohibited' areas, and laughed at the irony of not being able to buy wine at a grocery store but being able to buy beer at the gas station.

Is this just a throwback to the Volstead Act, or is there some measure of effectiveness in these measures? I'd never have thought a rep carrying samples in the back of his car to be a potential risk, or carrying the heeltaps of your wine home from the restaurant.

Allan Brown

"If you're a chef on a salary, there's usually a very good reason. Never, ever, work out your hourly rate."