• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

wusthof santoku

NickV

I received a Wusthof santoku for Christmas and I'm still not sure what to make of it. Of course, its disfiguringly sharp and very precise, I guess I'm still getting used to working with something the size of a chef's knife but much lighter. Usually I use a WMF Spitzenklasse chef's knife. Also, after chopping a bunch of vegetables, including potatoes and tomatoes, I havn't found the hollows in the blade to be of much use. I'm wondering what other people think of this knife, and do the hollowed blades usually work?

Knives are pretty personal things, they really need to be bought and tested out at the store by the person using them. No likey, put it up on eBay. Or bring it back if you got the receipt.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

it took me a few days to get the hang of my wusthof santoku.

as you point out, it is disconcertingly light at first. in addition, i found the lack of "rock" (due to the relatively straight blade) awkward also. but i gave it a 3 day "test drive" and it is now my "go to" knife, unless i am chopping through duck bones (as i was today, with my trusty-and-deadly $12 carbon steel cleaver from the asian market.) i do find that the divots help keep slices from clinging to the blade. so, i guess it grew on me.

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

I've had one of these since they first appeared on the market and it did take me a bit of time to get the hang of using it so the blade works the way it is supposed to.

I found that a straight down cut with a slight push at the bottom of the stroke will break even sticky onions loose from the blade and I also keep a deep can of ice water near and stick the blade into that while switching from one vegetable or fruit to another.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Hey, isn't that Rachel Ray's fave knife???

:biggrin:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

From reading In the Kitchen Forum - knifeforums.com (ironically, I found eGullet while reading there) it seems that once people get used to the lighter, Japanese knives, they don't go back. It does appear that the Japanese knives (in general) tend to be better than the German versions. After reading up on the knifeforums.com I purchased one of these Shun Classic 6" Chef's knives. Wow. It's actually kind of unfortunate, because now I feel compelled to replace all my knives (Henckels Four Star). Luckily for me, after trying out the new knife, my wife actually agrees with me! Personally, I don't see the advantage of the Santoku over the chef's knives, but I think it is more of a personal preference thing. It seems the consensus on knifeforums is that the Granton edge doesn't tend to help much (with the exception of the third knife down - note, good reviews on this site), so if you are purchasing you can probably save your money. On the other hand, I don't think anyone has claimed that it hurts.

As stated above, it appears that knives are pretty much a personal thing and YMMV.

-john

I got one a few months ago and I love it. I have tried different chef's knives and found them all to be heavy and tiring for my wrists. Although this could be my fault as I might not have been handling them correctly, I do not have this problem with my santoku. I chop faster and more precisely with it, and it is a pleasure to work with it.

Tammy Olson aka "TPO"

The Practical Pantry

I agree with Jason that knoives are very personal indeed. With that being said, I use a Aritsugu Santoku and love it. I actually had a Wustof when I was starting my sushi career and as I started to use more and more Japanese made knives realised that I didn't like my wustof at all. In fact I sold my entire wustof collection and now only use Japanese knives almost exclusively. Go to www.Korin.com (I think) and they have some great knives to choose from.

Neal J. Brown

chef, teacher and always a student

To respect food is to respect one's self.

From reading In the Kitchen Forum - knifeforums.com (ironically, I found eGullet while reading there) it seems that once people get used to the lighter, Japanese knives, they don't go back.  It does appear that the Japanese knives (in general) tend to be better than the German versions.  After reading up on the knifeforums.com I purchased one of these Shun Classic 6" Chef's knives.  Wow.  It's actually kind of unfortunate, because now I feel compelled to replace all my knives (Henckels Four Star).  Luckily for me, after trying out the new knife, my wife actually agrees with me!  Personally, I don't see the advantage of the Santoku over the chef's knives, but I think it is more of a personal preference thing.  It seems the consensus on knifeforums is that the Granton edge doesn't tend to help much (with the exception of the third knife down - note, good reviews on this site), so if you are purchasing you can probably save your money.  On the other hand, I don't think anyone has claimed that it hurts.

As stated above, it appears that knives are pretty much a personal thing and YMMV.

-john

Until they stop charging me 50% more for a left handed knife I will never use Japanese. :angry::angry::angry:

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

I have had a Wustoff santuko knife since 1994. I use it a lot, it is my go to knife. When it has to be replaced, I will shop for a Japanese made one.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

From reading In the Kitchen Forum - knifeforums.com (ironically, I found eGullet while reading there) it seems that once people get used to the lighter, Japanese knives, they don't go back.  It does appear that the Japanese knives (in general) tend to be better than the German versions.  After reading up on the knifeforums.com I purchased one of these Shun Classic 6" Chef's knives.  Wow.  It's actually kind of unfortunate, because now I feel compelled to replace all my knives (Henckels Four Star).  Luckily for me, after trying out the new knife, my wife actually agrees with me!  Personally, I don't see the advantage of the Santoku over the chef's knives, but I think it is more of a personal preference thing.  It seems the consensus on knifeforums is that the Granton edge doesn't tend to help much (with the exception of the third knife down - note, good reviews on this site), so if you are purchasing you can probably save your money.  On the other hand, I don't think anyone has claimed that it hurts.

-john

Until they stop charging me 50% more for a left handed knife I will never use Japanese. :angry::angry::angry:

You might check out http://watanabeblade.com/english/

I don't know what his policy is on leftys but if you are ordering a hand made peice it may be no price difference.

I have had a santoku for years. I can not think of a task that a santoku performs better than a chefs knife. I take that back...I use mine fo flip pancakes when I am camping. Most of the santukos are so short that you must lift them up and use more of a slicing motion. A usuba would be a better choice for this type of action. Global makes a vegetable knife that I would also prefer.

I used to keep mine on the line because it was a good size for a limited space and it had the "safety tip" that santokus are known for. The safety tip is probably why you see them on so many "when waiters cook" shows like Rachel Ray's.

I'd rather have a chef's knife and an usuba than a santoku. And I do. The usuba is the optimal vegetable knife, in my opinion. I use it more often than my 10" wide chef's knife.

By the way, a santoku is more of a homemakers' knife in Japan than a professional knife. A professional is most likely to have a deba (generally for boning fish and chicken), a yanagi-ba (sashimi slicer), and the usuba (vegetable knife). These have cousins that may be used instead. The santoku appears to me to be an attempt to replace these three purpose-built knives in the home with a single do-everything knife.

I received the same wustoff knife for xmas as well. I was smart enough to check it out in a local specialty store before I decided on a particular brand. I've been using it in the kitchen now for more than a week, and for many tasks, I think it might soon replace my old-friend chef's knife.

I do agree though, it definately took some getting-used-to, weight and sharpness wise. I really am beginning to appreciate the hollowed blade.

I got this for Christmas and love it dearly. It took a while to get used to the lightness of the blade, but now it's my go to knife as well. It slices vegetables like buttah, I tell you :biggrin:

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

By the way, a santoku is more of a homemakers' knife in Japan than a professional knife. A professional is most likely to have a deba (generally for boning fish and chicken), a yanagi-ba (sashimi slicer), and the usuba (vegetable knife). These have cousins that may be used instead. The santoku appears to me to be an attempt to replace these three purpose-built knives in the home with a single do-everything knife.

did i read somewhere that "santoku" means "does three things" or somesuch?

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

Hi

I am with the Japanese knife contingent. Light, incredibally sharp and hold an edge because of the much higher Rockwell hardness of the edge steel. You need waterstones for sharpening. Do not use a steel.

Is that left handed knife sort of like the left handed coffee mug?

Cheers

baconburner

While not Wusthof, I did trip over a Santoku Knive by Henckels, Twin Signature on sale for about $30.00 shortly after Christmas.

gallery_11593_343_1104877770.jpg

The Henckels knife is stamped, not forged as is the Wusthof. But I must say, for the price I paid, I really like it, and very sharp.

woodburner

Hi

I am with the Japanese knife contingent. Light, incredibally sharp and hold an edge because of the much higher Rockwell hardness of the edge steel. You need waterstones for sharpening. Do not use a steel.

Is that left handed knife sort of like the left handed coffee mug?

Cheers

baconburner

It has to do with the fact that most Japanese knives are beveled on one side. A right handed knife would have it's bevel on the right hand side and vice versa for the lefties. Also the Kershaw knives also have a handle that's designed in a "D" shape. :sad:

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Monday morning, our local Bed Bath & Beyond had a Farberware santoku for $9.99. We picked one up, more than anything to see if we liked it before shelling out big bucks. And for us, it would be really big bucks: I'm left-handed, my husband isn't.

Ask me in a couple of weeks how I like it.

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

anybody like pink? like Susan G. Komen santoku? are all of them this small (oh man, this just feels like a really stupid question) perhaps I'll do my homework on this too...but if anybody's hip... I do like the pretty pink color...it screems "MY bitch knife NOT YOURS!" :blink:

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

anybody like pink? like Susan G. Komen santoku? are all of them this small (oh man, this just feels like a really stupid question) perhaps I'll do my homework on this too...but if anybody's hip... I do like the pretty pink color...it screems "MY bitch knife NOT YOURS!"  :blink:

Looks like that ones is a ceramic knife. I would read up on ceramic knives before buying. Originally they sounded great to me until I started reading up on them. This should give you the idea:

link1

link2

Regarding size, ceramic knives tend to be pretty short. Santokus tend to max out around 7" is seems.

But it is a cool looking knife.

famousfoods-store_1823_658463.jpg

-john

Edited by JohnN (log)

i love my santoku---i have a tough time with heavy german knives due to some rotten arthritis in my hands and i have small hands. this was the first knife i've used that i felt the knife was doing the bulk of the work and not me!

"Ham isn't heroin..." Morgan Spurlock from "Supersize Me"

I started with a Henckels Professsional "S" Santoku, I thought it was the greatest knife there is.

Till I bought a Global knife. I gave away the Henckels shortly. Even as I'm using Global, I've started eyeing Masamoto and Misono knives.

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

Hey, isn't that Rachel Ray's fave knife???

:biggrin:

Yes ... I read recently that after she starting using this knife on her show, that sales of it went through the roof.

"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"