• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: 2001 O'Shaughnessy Napa Cabernet Sauvignon Ho

geo t.

From Virtual Angwin

2001 O'Shaughnessy Napa Cabernet Sauvignon Howell Mountain, 94% Cabernet Sauvignon, 6% Merlot, $52.99, 14.8% alc.: This new Howell Mountain operation gets lots of extraction out of the six year old vines of Del Oso Vineyard; it gives up big oak right away on the nose, with huge fruit to soak it all up; black currant, black plum, cassis, toast, coconut, tar and a little barnyard are all jumbled together in a massively effusive bouquet, and the equally massive flavors pick it up with even more coconut, gaining some chocolate as well. The significant tannins can't quite reign in the power and exuberance here, and with some time in the glass, it really opens up, showing (I almost hate to say it, but) gobs of sweet, rich fruit. It doesn't seem like a steak or lamb chop kind o' wine, but I could be wrong; as it is, there're all kinds of things going on with this, and while it may not be my preferred style of Cabernet (the La Jotas are much more in that category), I'll be damned if I don't like it anyway.

Reporting from Day-twah,

geo t.

George Heritier aka geo t.

The Gang of Pour

Thanks, George. As they are <ahem> almost right next door to us AND from Minnesota, there is a bit of a rivalry between O'Shaughnessy and Ladera... I'm always interested in knowing what folks think about 'em.