• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Saigon R (Formerly Saigon Republic)

Rachel Perlow

When I read this thread I immediately reached out to a friend of mine in NYC who is an intellectual property attorney. I saved our chat, and he said it was ok to share with you:

him: reading it now

me: ok

him: very interesting..

him: but.. I agree that it's not much of a case

me: if they take them to court it will cost them money, right? even if there is no case?

him: the nature of a case is such that the defendant, even if its a relatively simple case will need to spend a substantial amount on discovery and motion practice, particularly if the plaintiff attempts to get a preliminary injunction

me: is there anything they can do besides that? do they HAVE to defend themselves? if they think it's a nuisance case?

him: Generally, the court of public opinion is the only way to shame the plaintiff from taking a legal posture that is semi frivolous.

him: It's easy, they change their name

him: If they change their name the case is over

me: ugh. i mean..short of that

him: practically, not a whole lot, if they don't defend themselves they'll get run over

me: that sucks

him: it does..

me: damn lawyers LOL

Anyhow, not sure how much help it is...except the part about shaming the plaintiff...which maybe we can all do! What about a letter writing campaign?

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

That's why the British system sounds so appealing... over there, the loser has to pay the legal fees for the other side! (Sounds like they have much fewer frivolous lawsuits, which this one certainly is!!)

What about a letter writing campaign?

i am certainly willing to continue posting on any food websites (well, the ones i'm allowed on at least) that Republic (NYC) is a joke of a restaurant. there, i just did it again. and i'm not even stretching the truth.

Tommy - IMHO - Just posting on food websites might not get back to Republic, hence would not directly impact their actions.

Menton1 - Yes, emailing them directly from their site sounds like a winner.

Randi

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Tommy - IMHO - Just posting on food websites might not get back to Republic, hence would not directly impact their actions.

of course not. but it is sometimes effective in keeping people away. although there's always a huge audience for such a huge mediocre place like that.

• 1 month later...

A few new developments.

Saigon Republic has decided to change its name, in order to avoid litigation with Republic Restaurant in NYC. The name has not been decided upon yet, we'll let you know when that happens.

In more pleasant news, the name of the Fort Lee restaurant has been decided upon:

i8555.jpg

The star-shaped design in the Mo' Pho logo is the Star Anise, the essential spice in Pho broth.

Also here is a picture of a new fish special we had at Saigon Republic today, prepared by Chef Benang, who is currently working the Lunch shift at SR but will be the full time chef at Mo'Pho when it opens. Benang was trained by K.T.'s mom, so he really knows how to cook in the family style.

i8556.jpg

Mo'Pho's menu will be like Saigon Republic's, but more centered on the pho soups and summer rolls and will be overall simplified. The current projected opening date will be either the end of this month or mid July.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Saigon Republic has decided to change its name, in order to avoid litigation with Republic Restaurant in NYC. The name has not been decided upon yet, we'll let you know when that happens.

How irritating-- that a great little place like this has to cave to an undeserving goliath in NYC. I doubt that there is even one person that could possibly mix up the two places, and Saigon R. would probably eventually prevail if the litigation went forward.. but it seems that this is more of an ego issue for the owners of Republic.

Too bad Saigon can't find a philanthropic donor to give unlimited funds toward defending this case-- and then slap them back with a countersuit!! (Ahh...to dream....!)

Edit: Could they just shorten the name to "Saigon"? That's what everyone knows them as, anyway.

Edited by menton1 (log)

It will be some variation on "Saigon" but whatever it is, it will be something she can trademark.

The other option on the table is to use a variation of "Mo'Pho" like "Mo'Pho Cafe" or something like that.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Well, in the US anybody can sue anybody else for any reason-- there are no consequences. (unlike in the UK).

I vote for "Saigon ____". The neon in the window just says "Saigon" and I don't think anybody really uses the "Republic" part of the name. I think "Mo Pho" might give some people the impression that the place changed hands.

• 3 weeks later...

As a result of the settlement with Republic Restaurant in NYC, Saigon Republic is now "Saigon R"

I kind of like it. I mean along with Mo' Pho' (which is very close to opening), it sounds like members of a Vietnamese rap group. I'm thinking the next place should be called "Jam Masta' Summer Roll" or "Hung Mutha Hu Tieu"

As a result of the settlement with Republic Restaurant in NYC, Saigon Republic is now "Saigon R"

I kind of like it. I mean along with Mo' Pho' (which is very close to opening), it sounds like members of a Vietnamese rap group. I'm thinking the next place should be called "Jam Masta' Summer Roll" or "Hung Mutha Hu Tieu"

How juvenile and egocentric of the owners of Republic.... Their real concern would be if KT ever opened up a place near one of theirs... they could never compete!!

(Everybody calls the place "Saigon" anyway!)

(Everybody calls the place "Saigon" anyway!)

Yep. That's how they answer the phone and will continue to do so. Basically we are supposed to pretend like nothing happened -- which as far as the food and service is concerned, is true.

• 2 weeks later...

Saigon in Fort Lee is now open. Went there for both lunch and dinner yesterday and they were doing quite well both times so word of their opening has gotten out pretty fast. KT was doing the cooking and everything ordered was excellent.

Hank

Yes, KT purposefully didn't call us. :( She wanted to have a very soft opening. Heck, her staff didn't even know they were going to open (this past) Saturday until Friday. They got all their permits (finally) and she said, "let's open tomorrow." So they did. With no fan fare, not even an "open" sign in the window. People just walked in. They served about 30 people Saturday night. We had a late lunch/early dinner and there were other people there, at 3:30. Joe's been sending overage over to Fort Lee.

Jason's started another thread about Mo Pho, so I suppose we should continue this discussion over there.

• 1 year later...

Watching No Reservations this week put me in the mood for Vietnamese food. I came to this thread looking for a picture of the snake in a bottle liquor that I know we took a picture of a couple years ago.

I think we'll head over to Saigon R for some Grilled Pork topped Bun for lunch. Mmm.

• 3 months later...

It seems that the Maitre D and head of everything here, Joe, has left the restaurant for a new profession. He was terrific, a great personality, and it seems that the restaurant owes a large portion of its success to Joe. Just wanted to post this little tribute to Joe, mention how much we will miss him. We'll also miss the friendly political sparring that we used to do since we were on opposite sides of the political spectrum.

Joe, you will be sorely missed... thanks for all the wonderful meals at Saigon!

• 3 weeks later...