• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hungover? Fuzzy? Head aching?

Gifted Gourmet

beer and sausage. basically, alcohol, fat, and salt. but, you know, in a smaller dose than the one that got you in trouble the day before.

mem

Mem? or men, in general.

( I know, just liked the symetry (sp) of it all.

(hey, I'm the one looking for a spell check here, and have been for a while)

I second (or third) the idea of a huge quantity of water before you go to bed (or interspersed with your drinks as well) and a hefty B vittamin complex pill (such as a B-50, i.e. 50 mg of most of the b vitamins), though I think a little vitamin C helps as well.

There are drawbacks not only to tylenol with alcohol, but ibuprofen as well, though some of the latter may just be necessary the next morning, in which case you shouldn't have it on an empty stomach.

And for that fuzzy head feeling - try some Niacin, aka Vitamin b-3. Niacin dilates the blood vessels and gives you a serious "flush" feeling over (just the blood vessels near the skin dilating as well), but when the harmless flush goes away, so does a lot of the fuzziness in the head. Hugh doses can be bad for various people, but I'm led to believe that an occasional dose of 50 mg. is not a problem (though I'm one of he many people who take daily doses of "timed-release" niacin for heart health and cholesterol control - you don't get the fluhsed feeling with the timed-release version though.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

beer and sausage. basically, alcohol, fat, and salt. but, you know, in a smaller dose than the one that got you in trouble the day before.

mem

Mem? or men, in general.

( I know, just liked the symetry (sp) of it all.

(hey, I'm the one looking for a spell check here, and have been for a while)

You think maybe "Mark E. Morse" ?

Would be nice :wink: to have spellcheck...........

Drinking water is good advice, but once you've *got* a hangover, I think miso soup is one of the best things you can take to make you feel better quickly - especially now you can get miso paste with the 'dashi' or stock mixed right in.

Totally agree on this--I managed a Japanese resto for a year, and if I was ever hungover, i'd have a green tea and a miso soup, and i'd be right as rain. No coincidence that the society that invented the isakaya also invented green tea dn miso soup. :smile:

Also, there is a yogurt (or keffir) drink called Ayran that is like a salted lassi--1 c. yogurt, 1 c. water, and 1 tsp. salt--chilled to really cold. That does it every time. :cool:

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

Back in the days when I used to get hangovers, I always found the surefire remedy to be a big liverwurst sandwich with mustard and onions washed down with a beer. (Much like the sausage and beer remedy mentioned above.)

And if you forget to drink water, have someone bring you a strong Bloody Mary in bed when you awake and just stay buzzed the whole day.

The Romans had it right, hair of the dog all the way.

I will also recommend this treatment as it's always been my assertion that you cannot be (much like being pregnant and not being pregnant) drunk AND hungover at the same time.

Thanks,

Kevin

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

And if you forget to drink water, have someone bring you a strong Bloody Mary in bed when you awake and just stay buzzed the whole day.

The Romans had it right, hair of the dog all the way.

I will also recommend this treatment as it's always been my assertion that you cannot be (much like being pregnant and not being pregnant) drunk AND hungover at the same time.

Thanks,

Kevin

Perhaps if you accept the definition of hangover as the after-effects of drinking too much (as opposed to drunkenness, which would just be 'effects'). I will assert in turn that it is very possible to be drunk AND feel shitty, even if it may not technically be a hangover.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman