• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Soup Topic (2005–2006)

maggiethecat

I made the Armenian Lentil and Spinach soup yesterday but used kale instead of spinach. It's deelish! Here's a different and delicious fish soup we've been making in my family for years, it came out of the Herb Society of Nashville's "Soups" cookbook, published in 1975:

Portugese Fish Soup

6 cloves garlic, slightly smashed

3 Tbsp olive oil

6 slices rustic white bread

8 cups chicken stock

1 14 oz. can diced tomatoes

1/2 cup parsley, chopped

8 oz. sliced mushrooms (preferably criminis)

1/2 tsp dried thyme (1 tsp if fresh)

1/2 tsp tarragon (1 tsp if fresh)

1 pod hot red pepper or 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes

1 Tbsp grated orange zest

1/2 lemon, squeezed, juice and rind

salt and black pepper to taste

1# firm white fish (I used mahi mahi last time)

1/2 # shelled shrimp

In a heavy saucepan, heat oil and garlic until oil is infused with garlic flavor. Brush bread lightly with garlic oil, toast under broiler, then turn over to let other side dry out. Do whatever you want with any remaining oil and garlic.

In a Dutch oven, put toasted bread and all remaining ingredients except white fish and shrimp. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cook, covered, 30 minutes. Add white fish, cook 2 minutes, add shrimp, stir well and remove from heat.

This soup is delicious served right away or left over.

I may be in Nashville but my heart's in Cornwall

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the Portuguese Fish Soup recipe, jdtofbna, it looks great and comes with great provenance being a family favorite for many years.

The link will only remain active for a week or so, but the SF Chronicle has a nice article this week with recipe for spring soups... click

I'm thinking the Pea and Green Garlic Soup could be perfect for Easter dinner...

Sweet Pea & Green Garlic Soup

Creamy Turnip & Turnip Greens Soup

Aspargus Soup with Chervil

Golden Beet Soup with Crème Fraiche

Cauliflower & Spinach Soup with Tarragon

Carrot, Fennel & Potato Soup

Celery Root, Mushroom & Potato Soup

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I recently picked up Deborah Madison's new soup book. My first recipe out wasn't a success. It was a black bean soup with coconut, chile, and lime. The flavor was just disappointing and the color was not very attractive. :sad:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

• 2 weeks later...

I am still making bone-broth soups on a regular basis. Lately I have been having problems uploading images, but today, one image made it:

gallery_40263_2501_284826.jpg

This is duck soup with Porcini mushroom and Russian Kale. I think the already richly colored broth was deepened with the addition of the porcini soaking liquid. My husband was immediately impressed with the soup - and rushed to get the camera :wub: The flavor was no disappointment and was as rich as the soup was colored!

So I guess it's a little late to be joining this thread, but I am new to eGullet and I just read through all 18 pages. I usually wind up making soup at least once a week, because that's how often my husband requests my spicy tomato corn soup. Actually, I don't always indulge him because I don't like eating or cooking the same thing all the time. I'm so jealous of all of you who have huge freezers in which to keep stock...mine is tiny and always full (who knows with what). The spicy tomato soup is perfect because it's just as good with broth from a box (actually, I wouldn't waste precious homemade broth on it because it's too spicy to taste the broth). Here's how I make it:

poach one half of a chicken breast (about a pound) in one quart box of chicken broth

while that's poaching griddle roast dried chipotle chiles. I use 5 or so, but I like it almost painfully hot. Probably 2 would do for normal palates. Also, anchos or other milder chiles are good for additional flavor. Seed chiles and soak in hot water to soften. Griddle roast 6 plum tomatoes, 3 or 4 garlic cloves, and a medium onion. Once chiles are soft, place in blender with tomatoes, garlic, onions and the chile soaking water. Puree. Remove chicken from broth and shred. Add puree and shredded chicken to broth along with some frozen corn (or fresh shucked if you have it). I never measure it, but I would guess about 1 1/2 cups. Season with salt and pepper. I usually add some cloves and cumin too, all to taste. Squeeze in some lime juice and serve. I serve mine kind of like tortilla soup with cilantro, chopped chiles, avocado and tortilla chips on the side.

I'm looking forward to making this in the summer with fresh corn. Hope you enjoy it.

-Jessica

Thanks for sharing this soup, Live it Up! It really sounds great; I can picture how your family eats this often, and I look forward to trying it myself.

I really like Mexican-style soups garnished with lime, cilantro, etc but this is an interesting twist from the versions I've seen that tend to be more in a clear broth style. What a great way to get your recommended weekly dose of lycopene and vitamin C!

I like the combination of habeneros with tomatoes as well. It might also be interesting to try them (carefully!) as substitution for the chipotles.

Edited to add my "welcome" as well. :smile:

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

lynnette - love your stocks!!  can i come and play?  unfortuntly johnnybird can't stand the smell of lamb so i have to wait till he is away for me to play with it. wish i had some of that soup - it looks wonderful.  since i still have leftover soup none of that today but a soupy braise of pork, chicken sausages and meatballs over ziti....

love this thread.....

Hi Suzi...

Where do you live? I am in southern MN, and if you are close, sure, come and play in the kitchen with me!

Lynnette

thanks lynette - i'm in nw new jersey though johnnybird(the spousal unit) used to travel a lot to minneapolis and we are planning on spending a bit of time in duluth when he retires - so we can watch migrating raptors!!

this weekend it was using the leftovers from a chicken roasted with lemon and garlic made into chicken and rice soup. i love soups but now i have to think about some lighter ones if/when it ever gets warmer....

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• 2 weeks later...
i love soups but now i have to think about some lighter ones if/when it ever gets warmer....

Come summer, gazbacho is a favorite of ours. I have usually made it sans broth, but this year, I am going to add some grass-fed beef broth to my favorite recipe. Hmmm, I can already taste it. Can't wait for tomato season!!!!

I really like Mexican-style soups garnished with lime, cilantro, etc but this is an interesting twist from the versions I've seen that tend to be more in a clear broth style.  What a great way to get your recommended weekly dose of lycopene and vitamin C!

I'm sort of embarrassed to admit this, but a couple of times a month (on average), when I feel like soup but don't really want to cook, I end up buying a grilled chicken taco at the taqueria on the way home (grilled chicken, rice, black beans and extra salsa). At home, I open a big can of chicken broth and a small can of green enchilada sauce, simmer them together and then add the contents of the taco (minus the tortilla) and some frozen corn, if I have it. Garnish with the crumbled tortilla chips I get with the taco and the extra salsa.

tonight will be vegetarian so i'm making vegetable soup with some leeks, carrots, yellow squash, fresh peas and potato in a chicken and vegetable broth.

anyone have any ideas for some lighter brothy soups? this time of year can be somewhat problematic - a bit too warm for those hearty soups but not quite right for the gazpacho.... oh, yeah, guess i'd better check pam's book, too.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• 3 weeks later...
oh, yeah, guess i'd better check pam's book, too.

Hope you found something :wink:

It is snowing today. I am making some good old-fashioned, thick, bean and barley soup.

• 5 months later...

People - where are the soups??

I was in the mood for soup, not in the mood to go shopping so it's a 'what's in the house?' soup today. Onion, carrots, a couple of 'new' potatoes and lots of mushrooms sauteed in olive oil with some garlic, salt and pepper. Added barley and some veg. stock and it's simmering away. Smells great.

Has anybody made soup since May?? :wink:

I forgot about this thread! And I made such a wonderful soup today! I posted it in the Dinner thread but I should have posted it here...

this doesn't look very pretty but it was soooo good. Swiss chard, potato & chorizo soup. Raw eggyolk! Nothing beats the flavor/texture combo of potato, chorizo and runny eggyolk.

gallery_21505_2929_25761.jpg

Edited by Chufi (log)

You all inspired me by bringing this thread back up after so much time. Tonight's effort was a classic Provencal Soupe au Pistou from the South Beach Diet Cookbook. Recipe can be found HERE

gallery_7409_476_26775.jpg

I'm going to freeze half and eat the rest for the next few days. It came out very tasty! A last breath of summer as the temperatures begin to cool down...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

After Thanksgiving dinner tonight, it will be turkey soup on the simmer tomorrow!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

After Thanksgiving dinner tonight, it will be turkey soup on the simmer tomorrow!

Me too, but I don't actually like turkey soup for some reason so I make stock and it's into the freezer for the next batch of turkey gravy.

:biggrin: Marlene, I know it's Monday, because I'm in the US, and I totally read you had Thanksgiving, and I'm like, Huh??

I'm a tad more awake now, hope you had a wonderful thanksgiving.

I found one last monster zuchinni yesterday while clearing the garden, going to defrost some stewed tomatos I made with my homegrown tomatos and make a vegetable soup. Zuchinni is surprisingly good in soup.

---------------------------------------

Me too, but I don't actually like turkey soup for some reason so I make stock and it's into the freezer for the next batch of turkey gravy.

Well it's not my favourite, but my son loves it. I don't make turkey all that often, so I'll make stock then use some for soup and I'll keep a small bit back as stock.

Marlene

Well it's not my favourite, but my son loves it. I don't make turkey all that often, so I'll make stock then use some for soup and I'll keep a small bit back as stock.

I am just the opposite - keep the turkey but let me have the soup! My daughter cooked a 25lb turkey on Saturday and I got the carcass. The stock is made and de-fatted and I have one batch of pretty traditional turkey soup but I would like to do something different with the remaining stock. I am thinking something with a Mexican bent - but I don't have many Mexican ingredients around and they won't be easy to get in a day or two. Bearing in mind that we don't "do" rice, lentils, barley or other such grains and legumes, and I don't want to just add chili powder, anyone? Am I just mad?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I am just the opposite - keep the turkey but let me have the soup! My daughter cooked a 25lb turkey on Saturday and I got the carcass. The stock is made and de-fatted and I have one batch of pretty traditional turkey soup but I would like to do something different with the remaining stock. I am thinking something with a Mexican bent - but I don't have many Mexican ingredients around and they won't be easy to get in a day or two. Bearing in mind that we don't "do" rice, lentils, barley or other such grains and legumes, and I don't want to just add chili powder, anyone? Am I just mad?

How about posole, green chilis and some ground meat of some sort. Kind of like the stew you get on the reserve outside Santa Fe, the name of the dish escapes me.

I am just the opposite - keep the turkey but let me have the soup!  My daughter cooked a 25lb turkey on Saturday and I got the carcass.  The stock is made and de-fatted and I have one batch of pretty traditional turkey soup but I would like to do something different with the remaining stock.  I am thinking something with a Mexican bent - but I don't have many Mexican ingredients around and they won't be easy to get in a day or two.  Bearing in mind that we don't "do" rice, lentils, barley or other such grains and legumes, and I don't want to just add chili powder, anyone?  Am I just mad?

Kerry's idea re: green chile thing is a good one. Here's a recipe that I worked up after a trip through New Mexico. It's based on the green chile I had at the El Rancho Hotel in Gallup and can be served with beans if desired (red beans, cooked, not refried beans).

2 tsp. vegetable oil

1 small onion, finely diced

3 cloves garlic, minced

1 tsp. chili powder (see Note 1)

1 tsp. cumin seed, toasted and crushed (see Note 2)

8 Anaheim peppers, roasted, peeled, seeded, and chopped

1 chicken breast, minced (see Note 3)

2 cups low-sodium chicken broth

Notes:

1. I just added this for colour and a little oomph. I usually buy California chili powder and New Mexico chili powder from the Hispanic foods aisle and then blend them at home.

2. Feel free to substitute ground cumin for this. I happen to be out of it at the moment so I toasted 1 tsp of seeds in a frying pan and then crushed them with the back of a spoon.

3. Again, this is a case of using what’s on hand. Feel free to substitute 6 oz. of ground chicken if you like.

Directions:

1. Heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and reduce heat to medium-low. Sweat the onion mixture until the onions are translucent and soft but not brown.

2. Stir in the spices. Then add the peppers. Stir until well mixed. Add the chicken and stir.

3. Add chicken broth and bring mixture to a good simmer.

4. Reduce heat, cover, and let simmer for as long as you like.

Another idea might be that Mexican soup with the little meatballs in it, albondigas. (Good thing I looked up the spelling of that; otherwise I might really have embarrassed myself!) Maybe it could be made with a poultry bent instead of the usual beef.

I think my next soup adventure will be pozole! I've been thinking about it for awhile, and again, you've all inspired me.

The Pistou is even better today. Like most one pot food items, it's better after sitting for a day or so. I had two bowls for lunch! :wub:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Looking for Inspiration

I had a lot of leftover cooked beef which I ground, thinking of making something like a shepherd's pie. However, the result was very "gloppy" and the texture unsuitable and unappealing for a pie. So - I'm wondering if there's a soup waiting to be born from this. The flavour is a little on the mild side, but tasty and I would be sorry to waste the beef. I've not been able to come up with a soup, does anyone have an inspiration to help me out, please?

Rover

Looking for Inspiration

I had a lot of leftover cooked beef which I ground, thinking of making something like a shepherd's pie.  However, the result was very "gloppy" and the texture unsuitable and unappealing for a pie.  So - I'm wondering if there's a soup waiting to be born from this.  The flavour is a little on the mild side, but tasty and I would be sorry to waste the beef.  I've not been able to come up with a soup, does anyone have an inspiration to help me out, please?

Rover

What about a stew?

Marlene