• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Soup Topic (2005–2006)

maggiethecat

Today I made mushroom and barley soup, loosely based on Jacques Pépin's "Quick and Easy" recipe. It truly is quick and easy, but most of all, very flavourful.

Cheese: milk’s leap toward immortality – C.Fadiman

Last night I made a butternut/pear soup with ginger and garnished with toasted, sugared pecans....

Ooooooo, I'm liking that flavour combo, and I just happen to have all those ingredients at hand! :smile:

Cheese: milk’s leap toward immortality – C.Fadiman

This recipe is from Self Magazine - I made it on Friday. It's terrific! :wub: I was pretty liberal with the salt and pepper, grated some parmesan over the top along with the chopped parsley, and ate it with gruyère cheese bread from the Silver Moon Bakery, a block or two away from my apartment. No one in the house can stay away from it - there's very little left.

As soon as the other half of the pumpkin I used (the smallest one I found at the greenmarket was 7 pounds! :blink:) is done baking, I'm going to make pumpkin/cranberry muffins, using the pumpkin muffin recipe in The Joy of Cooking and adding fresh cranberries. Will report back.

Edited because um...it would help to post the recipe...

1/4 tsp saffron threads

10 cups (2 1/2 quarts) chicken broth

1 1/4 cups dried yellow split peas

1 large onion, chopped

1 tbsp olive oil

1 tsp ground cinnamon (this smells like way too much cinnamon while it's cooking. It's not.)

1/4 tsp ground ginger

6 cups peeled, seeded and cubed pumpkin (from a 3- to 4-pound pumpkin)

Minced fresh parsley

In a large metal spoon or a small pan, heat saffron over low heat about

10 seconds until dry, then grind to a powder with the back of a spoon

and steep in 1 tbsp boiling water to release flavor, about 1 minute.

Bring broth, peas, and onion to a boil in a large soup pot over high

heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, 30 to 40

minutes. Stir in oil, cinnamon, ginger, spoonful of saffron, and

pumpkin. Bring to a boil, then reduce to low and simmer, partially

covered, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour. The soup is done when the

pumpkin begins to fall apart and the peas are tender. Salt and pepper

and sprinkle with parsley.

K

Edited by bergerka (log)

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

I made a large batch of Potato-Leek soup over the weekend. No dairy at all, just lots of leeks, onions, and peeled Yukon Golds. Seasoned with a bit of thyme and rosemary. It's good on a dreary day like today. :smile:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Last week I picked up a lovely cheese pumpkin from the greenmarket. Roasted it and turned it into a lovely soup with ginger and cider. The seeds got toasted and sprinkled on top.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Last week I picked up a lovely cheese pumpkin from the greenmarket.  Roasted it and turned it into a lovely soup with ginger and cider.  The seeds got toasted and sprinkled on top.

bloviatrix what is a cheese pumpkin, I haven't heard of that before??

Last week I picked up a lovely cheese pumpkin from the greenmarket.  Roasted it and turned it into a lovely soup with ginger and cider.  The seeds got toasted and sprinkled on top.

bloviatrix what is a cheese pumpkin, I haven't heard of that before??

Look here for a photo.

Moderator note: edited to correct the link at the request of the member.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Tonight I made a Creamy Oat Soup with Chicken, Shitake Mushrooms and Leeks. Have been making this since the beginning of 1992 and it is always delicious. The great thing about it is that the creaminess is actually more from the steel cut oats then from the small amount of cream that is in it. Can be made with fresh chicken but is a great way to use leftover stock and chicken. Makes the house smell great and makes enough for dinner for the two of us plus plenty for lunches.

When we had a full house it was easy to double. Will post recipe if anyone wants it.

Kay

Creamy Oat Soup with Chicken and Leeks

2-3 medium leeks

6 cups chicken stock + 2 cups water

1 cup steel-cut oats

8 ozs shitake mushroom-or other wild mushroom of your choice, sliced

2 TBS butter

salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

2 chicken breast halves, boned, skinned and cut into 3 inch by 1/4 inch strips

1/2 cup heavy cream

2 TBS fresh dill, chopped

Using just the white and pale green parts of the leeks, halve them lenghwise and slice very thinly. Place in bowl of cold water, stirring occasionally to clean.

Bring stock and water to a boil in a large pot. Lift leeks out of water with a slotted spoon and add to the boiling stock along with the oats and salt to taste. Return to a boil, then simmer uncovered for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

While soup is simmering, saute mushrooms in melted butter over medium high heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.

When soup has cooked 30 mins, add chicken strips, cook 15 mins more, stirring occasionally. Soup will get very thick. Stir in cream, sauteed mushrooms and dill, bring to a boil and simmer 5 additional minutes. Thin with a little hot water if soup too thick. Serves 4.

Enjoy, glad to share.

Kay

last night (and tonight) :

leftover readington farms roasted chicken(dark meat)

carrots, onions, leeks, fresh tarragon and oregano, garlic, vegetable stock and chicken stock, whole wheat noodles, chopped kale and VOILA

chicken noodle soup that was served with sundried tomato bread

perfect after a full day outside

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I made some pasta fagiole on Monday. I had cooked extra beans (using the Russ Parsons method) from some Chile made over the weekend. I had also made tomato sauce from my garden tomatoes which I accumulated into the freezer over the summer. Used up a couple parmesan rinds. Mmm. Warm and comforting. Unfortunately, some of the beans were still a litte firm. Not hard or anything, just not completely mushy in texture. I'll bet it will improve with a day or two in the fridge.

Last night "Crammed Chowder" from the best selling Canadian cookbook Looneyspoons. This is a low-fat fish soup which is very satisfying. Served with a home-made baguette.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Oh, the joys of a VitaMix. :wub:

Just made this out of a bag of yellow, orange, & red carrots in the fridge that were about to die:

Noisy Lemony Carrot Soup

3/4 lb carrots, cut lengthwise into stalks

1" piece ginger, sliced

1 small lemon, juice of

few strips of zest of that lemon

1 tsp "better than boullion" chicken flavor

1 1/2 cups water (or substitute good chicken stock for water + boullion)

handful almonds (about 15)

Place all in your Vitamix. Puree for 3-5 minutes, until steam rises from top. Done!

If no Vitamix, slice the carrots much finer and simmer everything for 15-30 minutes, then puree with the almonds.

Add salt & pepper to taste.

Andrea

http://tenacity.net

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

• 2 weeks later...

woo-hooh, a day off so i can start to clean the freezer out...

chicken stock

so made a kale and white bean soup - soaked the beans last night. after i got home today cooked them then - sauteed onion, shallot then garlic in some enova oil. added the cleaned kale, stock, minced carrot and a bay leaf along with white pepper. simmered and added cooked beans. will serve it with a salad and some bread.

only two more weeks and the hawkwatch is done... then some real cooking

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Tonight I was in the mood for Black Beans. I would've liked to have made my mom's Cubano style ones and served them over rice but didn't have any green peppers in the house to make them with. Instead I cobbled together a very tasty Mexican/Cuban black bean soup out of what I had in the cupboard and the fridge.

Half of a large onion finely chopped and two minced garlic cloves sauteed in EVOO until softened. I added one canned chipotle in adobo that I seeded and chopped finely and sauteed for another few minutes. I added 2 cups of chicken broth and one can of Trader Joe's fat free refried black beans with jalapeno. I added one packet of Goya Sazon with cilantro seasoning, about 1.5 teaspoons of ground cumin, 1 teaspoon crumbled oregano, 2 Tablespoons of tomato paste and one Tablespoon of sherry wine vinegar and then whirled everything with the immersion blender. Cooked that for a couple of minutes to thicken back up and then added two cans of drained black beans and heated through.

Voila! Spicy black bean soup. Better than I thought it would be given the throw together nature of satisfying my jones for black beans. I have leftovers for a few days woth of lunches and dinners too.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Last night "Crammed Chowder" from the best selling Canadian cookbook Looneyspoons.  This is a low-fat fish soup which is very satisfying.  Served with a home-made baguette.

scroll way, way down for the recipe for Crammed Chowder! :wink:

Sorry, that's not the same soup at all! :sad:

Don't have time right now to re-write the recipe to meet copyright rules but if anyone is interested I will do so at another time.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog