• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Soup Topic (2005–2006)

maggiethecat

Last week's "experiment" was a chilled zuchinni mint. It was dairy-free and I added a single potato to give it some body. We liked it and will add it to the repetoire.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I made a spicy chorizo cabbage soup with chickpeas and tomatoes tonight. I have a chicken chowder with ancho planned for this weekend.

I'm going to do a creamy tomato basil next week with grilled goat cheese sandwiches, and when corn is in season, I'll do a corn and roasted pablano chowder.

pam - that orange gazpacho sounds like something to try... recipe? or will it be in your cookbook?

tonight the remnants of t.s. cindy are almost by us and the wind has shifted to a nnw so humid but cool in nw nj. pulled a container of chicken veg stock from the freezer and a lentil soup with chicken sausage is finishing on the stove. red and green lentils, onion, garlic, red and green peppers, bay, thyme and the stock. emeril's chicken sausages. i'm planning on serving bowls of this with some toasted olive bread and cheese. will send the leftovers up to the mil and bil who has a friend(cia trained chef) visiting. steve should like it - he is more of a pastry man. :wink:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Last week's "experiment" was a chilled zuchinni mint.  It was dairy-free and I added a single potato to give it some body.  We liked it and will add it to the repetoire.

Hmmm. I made chilled zucchini soup today too. I steamed three zucchini cut into coins until soft, whirled them up in the blender with 1 cup sour cream, a bit of the zucchini steaming water, a splash of milk and some ground cumin, salt and white pepper. Very tasty and refreshing.

I made a zucchini, onion and prosciutto frittata-in-a-pie-shell with some mint in it last week. It was supposed to be a quiche but I realized after it was baked I'd forgotten to put the shredded cheese in. D'oh! :wacko:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

pam - that orange gazpacho sounds like something to try... recipe?  or will it be in your cookbook?

It is in my cookbook... although as I tasted it today I decided I prefer a melon one I also have in there.

I'm not sure about giving quantities here.... but I'll list what's in it - and I'm sure if you did it to taste it would be great... or you could buy the book :wink:

Mangoes (2-ish)

Oranges (2-4 depending on size)

Canteloupe (a smallish one)

Orange Pepper

Cucumber (long, seedless)

shallot (1)

Basil (a bunch - handful)

Salt

Pepper

splash of balsamic

splash of olive oil

I like to hold back some of the mango, cantaloupe and pepper - fine dice it for a garnish. then puree everything til smooth (if you like it chunky, do it chunky). Obviously best with really ripe fruit - let it sit in the fridge for a few hours minimum for the flavours to really work together. It's HOT here - this is a really nice refreshing soup for a hot, muggy day.

Edited by Pam R (log)

[i'm not sure about giving quantities here.... but I'll list what's in it - and I'm sure if you did it to taste it would be great... or you could buy the book :wink:

just put a request in for us to buy it for the collection. :biggrin:

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Hmmm. I made chilled zucchini soup today too. I steamed three zucchini cut into coins until soft, whirled them up in the blender with 1 cup sour cream, a bit of the zucchini steaming water, a splash of milk and some ground cumin, salt and white pepper. Very tasty and refreshing.

Tonight I did the first riff on this recipe. More zucchini but I boiled down a couple of sliced carrots and some shredded ginger in the zucchini steaming water. Added all to the blender with a big handful of cilantro leaves. Tasted pretty good still warm, but I want to check the flavor and texture tomorrow when it's thoroughly cooled.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

sunday got some really good looking radishes - red, white and purple. made the radish soup from barbara kafka's book. nice and spicy with little crunchy bits of radishes mixed into the main soup that had been pureed. next time i think i may add a bit of chopped granny smith at the last moment as well.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• 2 months later...

Now that the cold weather is upon us (well, some of us) share your favourite everyday soup recipe (i.e. not something that requires a lot of special preparation time). One of my favourites is Carrot and Cilantro soup from Chez Panisse Vegetables (contains potato, carrot, cilantro and is garnished with a jalapeno, cilantro, onion, lime salsa). I also like red lentil and lamb soup - very satisfying. What are your favourites?

Edited by cherimoya (log)

A big pot of vegetable soup w/ chicken sausages or turkey meatballs. Usually throw in whatever vegetables into beef or chicken stock then add the meat. Simmer till vegetables are at desired consistency.

Oxtail soup and spinach soup are nice too.

Thanks to Sunday's roast chicken, or should I say its leftover carcass and other trimmings, today's lunch featured a delicious chicken rice and vegetable soup.

Last Friday I made mushroom soup (TB's Les Halles recipe), and there was enough leftover for Monday's lunch, and he's right, it's always better the next day, or in this case, three days later!

Cheese: milk’s leap toward immortality – C.Fadiman

ALLL RIGHT!!!!

KICK THIS BABY INTO HIGH!!!!!

except that im still pulling my soup from the freezer since it still is warm here and i'm either at the hawkwatch or work(vaca ended today - and by vaca i mean8-12 hours looking for migrating raptors). sad but i can't wait till saturday when i only have to work 6 hours and can actually have time to cook. since i got pam's book there are few recipes earmarked for trying - including one for a coworkers birthday present :biggrin:

remember to post those soups!! especially if you put them on the dinner thread(BOO-HISSSSSS) crossposts are not a bad thing

got a roasted potato and butternut squash soup with cheddar toasts in my future :wink:

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Today on this cold & rainy afternoon I made my first avgolemono, using a recipe posted as a comment to an Epicurious recipe. I'll post it here - it worked beautifully!

"Soupa Avgolemono: 8 c. homemade chix stock, 1 c. orzo, 4 eggs/ separated, juice of 3 lemons, fresh ground black pepper. This recipe will make a perfectly balanced salty, rich, filling, comforting soup. Boil broth, add orzo and simmer until tender 20 min. Whip whites until medium peaks, add yolks beating continuously, add juice, beating. Temper eggs with 2 c. broth, adding in constant slow stream while continuing to beat furiously so you do not curdle the eggs. Add egg mixture back to remaining broth and serve. When reheating, do not re-boil - heat slowly until very warm or you may curdle the eggs. Garnish with thinly sliced lemon. I sometimes add more than juice of 3 lemons, as the sourness is the best part of the taste! You should taste lemon, richness of eggs, salt of chicken, and starch of rice, in that order and you've made it perfectly. You can also add thin pieces of shredded chicken meat (pull off bone in strips), although classic recipes don't include chicken, vegetables, garlic or any of the ingredients many reviewers added to "fix" this recipe. "

I only made a single serving (1/4 of the above recipe amounts, except juice of 1 lemon), alas, so now it is all gone. :-(

Miss Tenacity

http://tenacity.net

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

Here is one that I really like from Midwest Living last Fall: Chicken, Artichoke, and Brie Soup:

http://midwestliving.com/recipe/recipedeta...requestid=44914

(Wish I knew how to link the word so nice and neat like everyone else!!! :smile: )

Question: One of my favorite restaurants in Kansas City, Hannah's Bistro, had a Celery and Gruyere Soup for special one day. It was to die for! I e-mailed them about the recipe, but got no reply. It was a really creamy soup... any ideas or even recipes?!?

Edited to add: Ooh... and a good corn chowder recipe! Would like one with a little spicy kick to it.

Edited by Katie Nell (log)

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

Today I made a creamy leek potato and onion soup - gosh I love that stuff!

1 small leek chopped, 1/2 onion chopped, 2 medium potatoes peeled and cubed, 1 bay leaf, some salt and pepper; the vegetables simmered in 4 cups of chicken stock for about 45 minutes. Removed the bay leaf and whizzed the soup with by stick blender until smooth, tasted (the seasoning was perfect as is), then swirled in a few tablespoons of heavy cream, a tablespoon of finely chopped fresh parsley and served immediately. So quick, easy and good!

Cheese: milk’s leap toward immortality – C.Fadiman

Tonight's predicted to be our first freeze of the fall (only about three weeks late!), so to celebrate, as it were, I made up a chicken vegetable barley soup:

gallery_15557_1141_34244.jpg

Onions, mushrooms, carrots from the garden, celery, garlic, lots of thyme (also from the garden) and some chicken stock and black pepper to season. I apparently had gotten some other kind of barley other than the usual quick cooking, as it took forever to cook and sank to the bottom (tasted good, though). No salt needed as the leftovers from the rotisserie chicken were plenty salty/flavorful.

Best of all, it made enough for another dinner. I love convenience foods :-).

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

It's been snowing all day - the last two nights have been holiday feast nights. So tonight it was soup made with stuff I found in the house. Diced tomatoes, onions, celery, carrots, mushrooms, orange pepper, zucchini, black beans, garlic, basil, oregano and some egg noodles and parmesan. It was the perfect dinner for tonight. Too tired to take a picture though.

I got these tomatoes at a farmers market...

tomaten.jpg

Yesterday I cooked them down with nothing but olive oil, salt and pepper, and simmered until it was a thick sauce. Today I took a couple of tablespoons of that sauce, thinned it with water, and cooked some pasta in it. At the last minute I added some frozen peas. This has to be the simplest tomato soup I ever made.. no garlic, no onion, no herbs, nothing. Just tomatoes, olive oil, salt & pepper, peas. But it was gooood.. thanks to those tomatoes I guess :wub:

Little bit of parmesan on top and eaten with melted cheese toasts..

tomatensoep.jpg

Edited by Chufi (log)

Steak and eggs with Tilamook cheddar melted on top, served on buttery toasted English muffins with Chipotle Tabasco. The Basilman ate five (5)... :shock: Then he had some NutterButters with lots of milk.

Edited to add this should have been in the Dinner thread :wacko:

Edited by Basilgirl (log)

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

An impromptu minestrone with meatballs, white beans and spinach.

gallery_6903_111_58652.jpg

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Now that the cold weather is upon us (well, some of us) share your favourite everyday soup recipe (i.e. not something that requires a lot of special preparation time).  One of my favourites is Carrot and Cilantro soup from Chez Panisse Vegetables (contains potato, carrot, cilantro and is garnished with a jalapeno, cilantro, onion, lime salsa). 

I agree, cherimoya! This has become a "stock" soup in my year round repertoire of soups. I nearly always have the ingredients at home and it is quick and easy. The salsa garnish really makes it special.

Beautifull photos of the tomatoes and soup, Chufi. And bravo for trying something pretty daring re: the simplicity; I'm glad it was good. Those green tomatoes are reallly fascinating. They are so dark making it seem like that is what they are meant to look like in their ripened state rather than being "unripe". Is that the case?

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I got these tomatoes at a farmers market...

tomaten.jpg

Yesterday I cooked them down with nothing but olive oil, salt and pepper, and simmered until it was a thick sauce. Today I took a couple of tablespoons of that sauce, thinned it with water, and cooked some pasta in it. At the last minute I added some frozen peas. This has to be the simplest tomato soup I ever made.. no garlic, no onion, no herbs, nothing. Just tomatoes, olive oil, salt & pepper, peas. But it was gooood.. thanks to those tomatoes I guess  :wub:

Little bit of parmesan on top and eaten with melted cheese toasts..

tomatensoep.jpg

Now for sure I'm heading to the farmer's market tommorow! time to stock up on the last tomatoes of the season, I suppose.

The soup looks ultra simple and hearty.