• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

new way for black eyed peas

highchef

I've decided to use my ham bone for collards, and the peas will have to transform. I've had pea salads before, and think it'd go great with pulled pork sandwiches.... thus fullfilling the pea requirement for New Years day dining. Do you have a tried and true recipe?? the peas are fresh. Thanks, and happy New Year! (wet though..)

I'd suggest you google 'Texas Caviar.' You'll find lots of recipes. They're all pretty-much the same. Although some have jalapenos and some don't.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Yep, TX Caviar is about THE blackeye pea salad. Even misguided Northern transplant friends that don't like blackeye peas eat TX Caviar for New Years. :biggrin:

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

Yep, TX Caviar is about THE blackeye pea salad. Even misguided Northern transplant friends that don't like blackeye peas eat TX Caviar for New Years. :biggrin:

AND, it's the perfect gift to haul around to the neighbors for New Year's Day. Just put up some in pretty jars and tie a little decoration around the top. I schlepped jars of TX Caviar to friends and neighbors for years. Especially fun when one is living somewhere else. The whole concept is new and intriguing to non-Southerners.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

As I type this I am enjoying some Texas Caviar made from this recipe. I also added some of this fine pickeled okra to really top it off. It's easy to make, keeps great in the ice box, and will last for a week or so if kept covered.

It's also fun to serve to yankees. They make fun of it. They look at you sadly while considering your sad culinary state. And then they eat it all. Very satisfying.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

As I type this I am enjoying some Texas Caviar made from this recipe.

Brooks....the link for their vinaigrette isn't working. What proportions did you use for yours?