• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Ugly Mug, 8th & I Streets SE

Vandyhoo

Add one more - or make it two more - restaurants serving miniburgers. You can now find miniburgers in Dupont Circle and soon on the Hill.

The creator of the Matchbox miniburgers in now chef at Porters in Dupont and the soon to open Ugly Mug on the Hill. Double G will be serving his original recipe in both locations.

the soon to open Ugly Mug on the Hill

<ears perk up>

Ugly Mug? Where?

8th Street. Mid-December opening. Nice beers on tap. Comfort food menu.

I'm there. I'd be happy to have the miniburgers too.

I think this whole miniburger thing is much ado about nothing-- well, very little anyway.

Edited by Al_Dente (log)

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

• 4 weeks later...

Thinking the soft opening was last night, I gave The Ugly Mug 24 hours to get their act together before strolling in. As it turns out, I had the first beer they ever served (or, at least, charged for) - I shimmied in this evening just as they opened their doors for the first time.

It was nice to see Graig Glufling back in action, though the entire staff is exhausted from working 15-hour days getting ready for the opening. The pizza is back, the miniburgers are back - this time with American cheese, and just like at Matchbox, you have to ask for mustard! For now, they're going to be sticking with standard pub fare although if you're adventurous you can get a crabcake or fried calamari.

This is going to be more of a bar (thirty-six taps at a twenty-seat bar), and less of a restaurant, than Matchbox, being directly across 8th Street from the Marine Barracks. I have never seen five flat-screen televisions looming so large behind a bar. They are fully wired - even having a flat-screen TV by the pool table in the tiny back room - and they're going to be ready to party on New Year's Eve, featuring a $60 identify-yourself-with-a-bracelet, all-you-can-drink, all-you-can-eat-buffet that runs from 9 until closing (with Champagne toast).

Cheers!

Rocks.

Is Graig the dude who is the Rick Bayless Impersonator?

Jarad C. Slipp, One third of ???

He was a sweet and tender hooligan and he swore that he'd never, never do it again. And of course he won't (not until the next time.) -Stephen Patrick Morrissey

This is going to be more of a bar (thirty-six taps at a twenty-seat bar), and less of a restaurant, than Matchbox,

Care to add any insight as to what's pouring out of those taps?

Going from memory here, I recall there were perhaps 15-18 different beers, ranging from garbage (Bud, Miller Lite) through the tolerable (Harp Lager) towards the good (Allagash White and a couple of others), but I don't remember anything being unusually seductive.

Cheers,

Rocks

• 3 weeks later...

Went with some folks from work to check it out tonight. The miniburgers are excellent (our table of 5 finished 2 plates of 9 - yes that would be 18) and they still have the excellent onion straws, but they seemed a tad saltier than i remember. Actual bottles of ketchup on the table instead of the small white bowl servings. We also went through 3 pizzas - a chipotle chicken, sausage and onion, and white proscuitto. All were excellent. There were maybe 8 other pizza offerings plus of course the make-your-own option. A handful of sandwiches and other appetizers, but we were on a miniburger/pizza/beer mission, so i did not pay those much attention.

Lots of beers - smithwicks, bare knuckle, fosters, and foggy bottom were consumed at our table. The usual cast of Guiness, Harp, Harpoon IPA, and the American macrobrews were available.

Besides the bar, there were two tables by the front window that could sit 4 (but were probably meant for 2), and about 6 booths (the semicircle variety) that could sit 5 (a couple more if they got chairs) and maybe a couple more 4-seat tables in the back. Still somewhat sparsely decorated except for the aforementioned pool table and the nice flat panel TVs behind the bar.

Web page still needing some work. Wish I had known about the Corona specials tonight.......

Edited by rbh (log)

• 4 months later...

We shared a meatball sandwich and white pizza last night at the Ugly Mug. Both were pretty good, as were the fries that came with the sandwich. My husband found the sandwich "more bready than meatbally," but I prefer not having to fight the meatballs in a meatball sandwich and these were well-contained in the roll.

The service was okay, an improvement over my previous experience there. (I think I must have posted that in the general Capitol Hill thread, but I'll bump this thread back up.) There were a fair number of people at the bar, but there were more empty tables than I expected, given the time we were there (7:30-8ish). The hostess offered us a booth, even though there were only 2 of us.

I recall seeing something on Tom's chat to the effect that Graig has left UM? Does anyone have the skinny on that? FWIW I ate there on Tuesday lunch and the mini-burgers and onion rings seemed same as always. Also had their take on mozzarella en carrozza which amounted to an excellent toasted (fried) cheese sandwich.

I recall seeing something on Tom's chat to the effect that Graig has left UM?  Does anyone have the skinny on that?  FWIW I ate there on Tuesday lunch and the mini-burgers and onion rings seemed same as always.  Also had their take on mozzarella en carrozza which amounted to an excellent toasted (fried) cheese sandwich.

He has left, apparently due to a difference in vision between the bar vs. restaurant thing. Or so I have heard through the grapevine.

Bill Russell

He has left, apparently due to a difference in vision between the bar vs. restaurant thing.  Or so I have heard through the grapevine.

That is correct. Graig is now helping out the guys on the line at Ortanique.