• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shopping in Orlando and Miami: any hints?

binkyboots

my sister and I are miami and orlando bound at the end of february... she'd looking for clothes and shiny stuff, I'm after cookware and cookbooks, I'm thinking she'll be easier to please!

any reccomendations for bookstores, cookware shops...

Spam in my pantry at home.

Think of expiration, better read the label now.

Spam breakfast, dinner or lunch.

Think about how it's been pre-cooked, wonder if I'll just eat it cold.

wierd al ~ spam

Orlando Outlets ...

:wub: I love this place!

Dansk Factory Outlet

5247 International Drive, Orlando, FL 32819, Tel: (407) 351-2425

Time: Monday - Saturday, 10 a.m. to 9 p.m., Sunday, 11 a.m. to 6 p.m..

Credit cards: V, MC, DV, AE.

The outlet features an excellent collection of Dansk's classic tabletop designs, including dinnerware, teakwood, flatware, glassware, cookware, and gifts. Savings up to 60% on these items assured.

:wink: and this as well:

Fitz And Floyd

5401 West Oak Ridge Road, Orlando, FL 32819, Tel: (407) 351-3487

Time: Monday - Saturday, 10 a.m. to 9 p.m., Sunday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Credit cards: AE, V, MC, DV, DC.

Shop for Dinnerware, gifts, and accessories at 30 to 80% off retail price here.

Miami area:

Corning Factory Store 12801 W Sunrise Blvd

Sunrise, FL 33323-4020

Phone: (954) 846-9824

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

my sister and I are miami and orlando bound at the end of february... she'd looking for clothes and shiny stuff, I'm after cookware and cookbooks, I'm thinking she'll be easier to please!

any reccomendations for bookstores, cookware shops...

Are you looking for factory outlets - or high end stuff? And what parts of these towns will be you staying in (both are really big)? I shop in both places for lots of different kinds of stuff at least a few times a year (and lived in Miami for over 20 years) - and would be glad to help if I can. By the way - are you driving - or flying (there are factory outlet mall places on the interstates). Robyn

Most of Orlando's outlets are the same outlets you'll find elsewhere in the U. S. But, if you are into clothes and designers there is an excellent one off of I 4 about two exits south of International Drive. This includes Zegna, Ferragamo, Armani, Cole Haan and others. I was in Italy at the Zegna outlet just south of Florence one month ago and the prices in Florida-unbelievably-are a bit lower!

Stop at Seasons 52 for dinner. It's the hottest restaurant concept in America right now.

thank you guys!

I'm looking for mainly outlets, though for something nice for the kitchen I can usually be persuaded to splash out :biggrin:

I'm looking for books which are hard to find in the uk and pricey to get borders to import, the king arthur's baking companion is high on my wishlist... I'm guessing borders stores in the states may have it.

kitchen ware wise, my dream is to buy a lamb cake mold, odd dream, but hey, lol. cant be found for love nor money in the uk and the shipping that the ebayers want is just crazy! fair enough, a real cast iron lamb will be heavy, but I'm prepared to leave my clothes at the airport if need be :raz:

nice bowls, serving platters, napkins/tablecloths... all good, I like to check out supermarkets for regional spices and ingredients too. I love dollar store type places, sometimes the best things are hidden there... also goodwill stores and flea markets, love them!

we're flying into miami, staying a week then taking a train to orlando and staying a week there before flying home. I can drive, but having only had my licence a year I'm unable to hire a car (unless you know different? a hire care would make our trip much easier!)

Spam in my pantry at home.

Think of expiration, better read the label now.

Spam breakfast, dinner or lunch.

Think about how it's been pre-cooked, wonder if I'll just eat it cold.

wierd al ~ spam

We have trains in Florida? That carry more than phosphate and other fertilizers? Who knew? :biggrin:

If you are not going to be driving, then you are stuck with the outlets. Most of the the individual "gourmet" cookware shops are in Winter Park or sometimes downtown, but they're not worth the considerable taxi fare to get there.

If you are staying in the Disney area, try the Orlando Premium outlets just East of Disney (actually North, but the highway says East) and if you are in the Universal area, the Belz factory outlets has numerous different kitchen and china stores spread out over a bunch of outdoor malls in the north International Drive area (take the I-Drive trolley).

Lastly, the big malls - for high-end clothes at one of the most beautiful malls in the country, hit the Mall at Millenia (sic) and for a giant mall with everything America and a million tourists, go to the Florida Mall. Both have Williams Sonomas, and the Florida Mall has these somewhat new stores called Teavana that features all kinds of teas sold by the loose-leaf. Of course, being British, you may not find this as unique as I do :smile:

Edited by Bill_H (log)

Binky - If you're under 25 - you can forget about renting a car. One thing you might look into is hiring a car or taxi with a driver for a day. Wouldn't be cheap - but if you're sharing the price with a friend - and want to cover a lot of ground - it might be worth it. Perhaps you can check with the concierge at the hotel and see what the story is. This would be a more practical idea in Orlando than Miami (most drivers in Miami don't speak English - of course - if you've arranged a flat fee - that wouldn't be as large a problem as it is when the meter is running). Robyn

Orlando Outlets ...

:wub:    I love this place!

Dansk Factory Outlet

5247 International Drive, Orlando, FL 32819, Tel: (407) 351-2425

Time: Monday - Saturday, 10 a.m. to 9 p.m., Sunday, 11 a.m. to 6 p.m..

Credit cards: V, MC, DV, AE.

The outlet features an excellent collection of Dansk's classic tabletop designs, including dinnerware, teakwood, flatware, glassware, cookware, and gifts. Savings up to 60% on these items assured.

:wink: and this as well:

Fitz And Floyd

5401 West Oak Ridge Road, Orlando, FL 32819, Tel: (407) 351-3487

Time: Monday - Saturday, 10 a.m. to 9 p.m., Sunday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Credit cards: AE, V, MC, DV, DC.

Shop for Dinnerware, gifts, and accessories at 30 to 80% off retail price here.

Miami area:

Corning Factory Store 12801 W Sunrise Blvd

Sunrise, FL 33323-4020

Phone: (954) 846-9824

Dansk is closing all its factory outlet stores (according to the employees in our local store). The one here in St. Augustine was planning to close at the end of the holiday season (don't know what the story is in Orlando). Note that Sunrise isn't exactly in the neighborhood if you're staying in Miami (it's about an hour's drive more or less depending on where you are in Miami). Robyn

Borders has been sending lots of email coupons lately; you might want to sign up at their website in hopes of getting a coupon that would jive with your visit. The Borders in Aventura (about a half hour north of Miami) is next door to a Linens 'N Things and down the street from a Bed Bath & Beyond. Both are large stores that often have good deals on kitchen items. Both also regularly mail out coupons & place ads in the newspaper. They don't seem to mind if the coupon is expired, either.

Both Borders & Barnes & Noble have store locators at their websites, so you can see which stores might be closest to where you are staying.

Look for ethnic groceries while you are here; you can find Latin specialties in the regular supermarkets as well.

Have a great trip!

Neil

Author of the Mahu series of mystery novels set in Hawaii.