• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: 2001 Sequoia Grove Cabernet Sauvignon (Napa)

Redwinger

I haven't really enjoyed any of the Sequoia Grove Cabs since the 1997 Vintage, which was decent in its' youth but lost some of its' verve after just a few years in the cellar.

I had the opportunity to taste the 2001 a local shop today and was quite impressed with it. Deep rich, purplish-red color. No discernable oak on the nose, but lots of black cherry, mint and licorice filled the nose. Palate followed with some solid acidity and what I would call fine tannins to accompany the fruit. After a couple of hours the tannins did seem grainier and chewier.

I bought a couple to have on hand when SWMBO screams: "I want a Cabernet Sauvignon"!!!"

At $28 this is pushing the QPR window, but seems to be "worth it" to me.

Redwinger

"I'm trying to think but nothing happens"

Hey Red...I agree with you on the Sequoia Grove. I thought it was nice also. I was shocked to see WS give it a 82 or something like that. I also liked the 02' Chard. I got the cab in Connecticut for $22!!

happy New Year!

If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. How could you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!??

Hey Red...I agree with you on the Sequoia Grove. I thought it was nice also. I was shocked to see WS give it a 82 or something like that. I also liked the 02' Chard.    I got the cab in Connecticut for $22!!

happy New Year!

Jeff,

That's a great price on the '01 SG Cab!!

I don't assign points to wines, but that 82 score seeems a tad low :rolleyes:

GO HUSKIES/GO SHS BLUE KNIGHTS!!

'Winger

"I'm trying to think but nothing happens"