• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Italian Hoagie

Kanishka

While I will happily defer to all those singing the praises of Hoagies and other subs in places like Philadelphia and elsewhere -- in the interest of practicallity -- I will add a vote for Mangilardos G-man on the hard roll (bread baked by Ottenberg's Bakery).

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

Pittsburgh's landmark warehouse district Primanti Bros. in part built a reputation for a cheesesteak/steak and cheese which has french fries BETWEEN the bread literally as part of the sub.

During my "starving student year" in Scotland, I discovered that a common British delicacy was the "Chip Buttie" [sp?] -- a pile of french fries (JUST french fries) on a roll. Add brown sauce for that extra gourmet touch.

The Pittsburgh version with steak & cheese plus the fries sounds much yummier :raz:

Edited by EllenH (log)

"What, after all, is more seductive than the prospect of sinning in libraries?"

Michael Dirda, An Open Book

TO get back on the subject of cold cut subs in DC.

1)Follow Al_Dente's advice and go to DaMarco's on Colesville Road in SS (accross from AFI)

2)Come out to Rockville and get an Italian Combo sub at Giuseppe's. In true Pittsburgh style this is baked in the pizza oven. Hmmm. I think I might have to have one for lunch today.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

2)Come out to Rockville and get an Italian Combo sub at Giuseppe's. In true Pittsburgh style this is baked in the pizza oven. Hmmm. I think I might have to have one for lunch today.

I am not sure if it is still as good as it used to be, but there is a place off of Research Drive in Rockville called the Research Cafe that made great Italian subs that were put into the oven before serving. I still have a shirt with a stain from the grease running out of one of them. They also made a mean meatball sub.

I am not sure if it is still as good as it used to be, but there is a place off of Research Drive in Rockville called the Research Cafe that made great Italian subs that were put into the oven before serving.  I still have a shirt with a stain from the grease running out of one of them.  They also made a mean meatball sub.

Research Cafe is indeed there and still good.

It is just down the hill from my office.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Man, all this talk about Italian hoagies sure has got me hungry! I would give just about anything for one of those right now if only I was allowed to eat one. :sad:

DAMN YOU SOUTH BEACH DIET!!! :angry:

Edited by mhberk (log)

(Sitting for lamb chops)

Lamb: Ple-e-e-se Li-i-i-sa I thought you lo-o-o-oved me, lo-o-o-oved me

Marge: Whats Wrong Lisa? Cant get enough lamb chops?

Lisa: I can't eat this, I can't eat a poor little lamb.

Homer: Lisa get a hold yourself, that is lamb, not A lamb.

Italian Store, Italian Store, Italian Store, Italian Store

Get there early or take a number.  Everything is deeply satisfying there, but the Capri and the traditional Milano with hot and sweet peppers are not to be missed.

Yes. I'll "second" your rec. It's good. Really good.

I just might go tomorrow. Yum.

Barry

I will "third" this recommendation. In all the years I've gone there, I've never had a bad hoagie or anything else for that matter. Which reminds my, I must go there right now to pick up my weekly order of "prosciutts" and "gabbagool"

Edited by Minister of Drink (log)

"Whenever someone asks me if I want water with my Scotch, I say, 'I'm thirsty, not dirty' ". Joe E. Lewis

1)Follow Al_Dente's advice and go to DaMarco's on Colesville Road in SS (accross from AFI)

....and while you are in Rockville, the Twinbrook Deli, next to CVS on Veirs Mill make a tasty Italian cold-cut.

While reading through eG posts, I came across the mentioning of Pica Deli in Arlington. It piqued my interest, and my husband and I took a drive there today. I really liked the place and we plan on attending a Thurs. nite dinner (with live music) and / or one of their monthly wine dinners.

Anyway, I thought of this thread because cheese steaks were mentioned and I just had to tell you all how good the "Centurion" sandwich at Pica Deli is!! It is a variation of a cheesesteak, or steak and cheese as they say here in VA. It's marinated roast beef that practically melts in your mouth, with melted cheese and onions on a (pretty good) roll. When my husband ordered it, I tried hard not to roll my eyes. Being born and raised in Philadelphia, these so called steak and cheeses are so far off the mark that I don't bother to waste calorie consumption on them. I have to say, I like that Pica Deli doesnt' even try to call it a "Philly favorite", or compare the sandwich to the Philly classic in any way. It's just a darn good sammy.

Edited by monavano (log)

Apicellas makes an awesome italian with real prosciutto di parma and a homeade dressing that rocks. It's located in Little Italy in Baltimore, and has won the "best sandwich" award by the Baltimore City Paper.

The Italian Store!!!!!!! It is one of the few things that I will drive to NoVa for. The sliced meats are all quite good, but I usually get the veggie cause the artichoke salad is sooooooo good. And real provolone... and sweet cherry peppers... and route 11 potato chips on the side. It's almost too good to be true.

One of my favorite topics. I can second two previous recommendations: Capriotti's in Newark, DE (I believe they have some other locations in the greater Wilmington area) is excellent. Just got subs there last Sunday, great Italian and also the best turkey subs if you like those.

Also agree about Sarcone's in the Italian market in Philly (9th and Fitzwater). A little different style than the Delaware subs. Called hoagies in Philly! They use great Sarcone's bread from the bakery down the street next to Ralph's restaurant (also a good place for Italian eats). They use a smaller quantity of very high quality flavorful Italian meats like prosciutto and soprasetta. Excellent.

Also in northern Delaware, Casapulla's serves excellent Italian subs, don't like their other varieties as much as at Caprioti's. Get an Italian with prosciutto and dig in. I go to the location in Glasgow DE, in a shopping center near the intersection of routes 40 and 896, there are other locations.

Where is the Italian store?

The Italian Store is in the Cherrydale section of Arlington, in the plaza at Lee Highway and Spout Run Parkway.

In addition to excellent subs -- choose the hard roll -- they have Berger Cookies from Baltimore. :biggrin:

Dolce Vita restaurant in Fairfax just opened up a cafe next door in space formerly occupied by the Viet Thai restaurant. From what I read about this place it looks very promising.

• 3 weeks later...

Having done a little research preparing for a Super Bowl party where the theme will be Philadelphia style food (Go Eagles!), I have a little more info to add on this topic. We tried 4 Italian hoagies in the Annapolis/Baltimore area. We told each place to make their standard Italian, i.e. no tailoring to personal tastes. They are rated herein in order of preference.

1. Apicella's - 221 S. High Street in Baltimore's Little Italy: Very nice sandwich on a fresh roll. Capacolla, Genoa, mortadella, provolone, lettuce, tomato, pepperoncini, dressing, and olive spread. Thanks to the eGullet poster who recommended this place. Tried a pizza too, really good from a wood burning oven. One of the few non-restaurant places in Little Italy, wish they had more stuff like the italian Market in Philly since it's closer. They make their own mozzarella, porchetta (fresh ham), roast beef, and soup as well.

2. The Italian Market - 126 Defense Highway between Annapolis Mall and Home Depot: Also a nice sandwich on a fresh roll. Capacolla, genoa, provolone, lettuce, tomato, peppers. A close second. Large market with many interesting Italian goodies to peruse including wine. If you're lucky, they will have fresh, warm Italian rolls in the box by the cash register. Second location in Gambrills, MD.

3. Giolitti's - 2068 Summerville Rd, Annapolis, in Parole just off West street: Not bad, but a step down. They make the sandwich on their Tuscan roll, which I love by itself, but it's a little too much bread for the rest of the stuff. Cold cuts not as flavorful. Smaller market with plenty of goodies and wine. Try the fresh Tuscan bread or homemade pastas.

4. Whole Foods market - Annapolis Harbor Center: Least of the bunch, they got several demerits for having CHICKEN bologna on the standard Italian, hoo boy!

We get a lot of use out of Whole foods, particularly cheese, some of the meat (we're very partial to their Bell and Evans chicken) and seafood, and the bakery. Find the deli to mostly underachieve, especially for the prices they charge. Some nice produce, but a lot of regular grocery store stuff but more expensive.

Final verdict is we'll probably get the party hoagies from the Italian Market in Annapolis due to convenience. Soft pretzels from the Amish market in Annapolis Harbor Center, and cheese steaks from Jake's Steaks in Edgewater MD in the South River Colony shopping center. Not the greatest, but passable for a Maryland Eagles party! Too lazy to drive north or do it myself for a crowd.

I went to The Italian Store today and WOW!! a REAL hoagie!!! I can't tell you how great it was to walk into that place, and smells all the meats and cheeses melding together. The way an italian deli should smell. I had a "Philadelphia" hoagie. The meats were flavorful and fresh, topped with all the fixin's (hold the onions please).

I'm from Philly and my husband is from NJ, where his cousin owns 2 hoagie shops. We can spot a fake from a mile away. This was the real deal.

We also picked up some gnocchi and meat canneloni, along with a few bottles of wine which they were having a tasting of. And, some provolone for my Philly cheesesteaks which I will make at home tommorow while watching my Eggles play in the Superbowl.

We took a ticket right away and were 22 away from being waited on. The line went quickly and orderly. They work fast!!

Their pizza was extremely popular too.

What a great day to sit out in the sun and enjoy a real hoagie.

Edited by monavano (log)

The Italian Store does make about the best hoagie around these parts. The other option is to make them yourself which is quite easy given the availability of good cold cuts in the DC area. The recipe is simple, but the roll makes all the difference , almost rubbery in texture with a semi-hard crust... Amoroso in Philly makes the best... the White House in AC being very good also.

You know Cigar, I feel the same way about getting a good Philly cheesesteak in these parts. The best ones I've had here have been made in my own kitchen!

We're going to try the pizza there next time. Now pizza, that's been hard to find like Philly/Jersey/New York style. Believe it or not, the pizza I most enjoy around here is from Costco. Shocking, I know :blink:

Mo... great point on the cheese steaks.. they get no better than your own kitchen...and very easy.. shaved rib eye, fried onoins, mushrooms, choice of cheese or Whiz... I do provalone and pizza sauce for pizza steaks

• 2 weeks later...

I stopped by the Italian Store yesterday on the way back from a meeting in DC. Got the Capri with extra hot peppers. Holy crap was it good. Most hoagies I've had in the past were Blandy McBland but this was just packed with freshness and flavor.

I also got a whole cheese pizza for some co-workers. Not that impressed, especially since I recently had some wonderful artisanal pies up in NYC. The crust was soggy and the cheese didn't taste milky enough. No worries, more reason to stick with the sandwiches next time!