• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

vesuvio

mrbigjas

A year ago we had a 12 Fishes dinner there for DDC. The food was good, but they were clearly overwhelmed by the numbers of us (in a notorious incident, some folks had the soup course recycled as a pasta sauce.)

Their bar menu has always looked good to me, and since they have a pretty decent selection of wines by the glass, I've meant for ages to try that. If only I weren't so damn lazy.

As it so happens I was there late new years day apres 2nd street, I've been a few times before once for a dinner party which I did not love but that may have had more to do with my dinner companion than anything else and a couple of other times for bar food. As far as bar food goes it pretty much rocks..excellent wings (3 flavors with a yougurt-y blue cheese dipping sauce and hot chili oil)

An interesting burger (though did not come out medium...rather well done) with fried long hots, crispy pancetta & smoked gouda * spicy mayo the flavors are for the most part great I was not a fan of the bun too sweetish. Excellent fries nice and crispy & salty.The fried calamari & zucchini was huge and yummy though I would have preffered the sauce on the side rather than on the bottom of the plate..made stuff mushy. If I find my way down there again will definately try the clams w. chorizo.

My big problem with Vesuvio is that it seems very confused the menu is quite haute and interesting with great plates the chef Mark McKinney I think is talented but the neon beer signs, the dopey bartender, the crappy wine by the glass list, tacky decor (martini glasses with bent stems puh-lease!) it just doesn't live up to the food. There's just too much decorative extra stuff there and not ita kitchy way just in a "well I'll take anything the beer companies offer me" kind of way...for god sake they have a jagermeister tap.. . its also very green in the bar kind of alien space ship/mental insitution green shame with such beautiful wood work that you can hardly pay attention too because of the blaring neon lage sign

It was a weird scene also had to ask the bartender to turn off CNN, two tvs replaying death and destruction is just not a good vibe in a a bar, I'm gnawing on chicken wings and looking at piles of dead babies not good. All in all I say chef great, owner needs some help.

I would love to re-do that place so the atmosphere lives up to the food.

"sometimes I comb my hair with a fork" Eloise

I worked with Mark at Iron Hill,And quite frankly it was obvious that his talent even then would lead to better things for him and his cooking.He is a truly good guy and very brave chef.His attention to the smallest detail always amazed and inspired me.i look foward to someone posting on a meal there

"Food is our common ground,a universal experience"

James Beard

• 2 weeks later...
I've been consistently disappointed at the food and atmosphere at Vesuvio; the review is dead-on.

I must admit that when the owner and his exec cant agree on what it is they want to represent to the public=problems,I know first hand Mark is commited to his craft and passionate about food and how it,s perceived.You dont become Chef de cuisine at an establishment like Pasion without these traits,im wondering what lie,s beneath?

"Food is our common ground,a universal experience"

James Beard