• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

chicken wings for new yrs, frozen or fresH?

maui420

hi,

my fiancee's parents bought us a deep fryer for christmas and we are planning to fry up some chicken wings and fries for the new year.

i have a quick question, what would be better? a large bag of frozen chicken wings vs a bag fresh chicken wings. im sure the fresh ones would be the choice but they are much smaller in size compared to the tyson frozen bag of chicken wings.

also, if i do buy the frozen, should they be thawed out before frying, or can i just put them directly in the deep fryer.

thanks for the help.

i have a quick question, what would be better? a large bag of frozen chicken wings vs a bag fresh chicken wings. im sure the fresh ones would be the choice but they are much smaller in size compared to the tyson frozen bag of chicken wings.

Size doesn't always matter.

go for the fresh wings; me think they will taste better, cook better; you will be able to marinate/spice them up easily.

Have a great wings party ...

Are you going to be doing these wings buffalo style? I would most definately go with the larger wings, even if frozen. Chicken wings in general are messey to eat, and it is quite cumbersome to have to deal with it all for just a little bit of meat. If you are going to be saucing them up anyway the subtle difference in flavor betwixt fresh and frozen will not be noticeable (if there even is a difference).

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

thanks, i think ill go with the frozen, besides they are much cheaper. =)

do you have any good buffolo recipe sauce? i like the vinegary hot suace flavor. i cant really describe it.

Are you going to be doing these wings buffalo style?  I would most definately go with the larger wings, even if frozen.  Chicken wings in general are messey to eat, and it is quite cumbersome to have to deal with it all for just a little bit of meat.  If you are going to be saucing them up anyway the subtle difference in flavor betwixt fresh and frozen will not be noticeable (if there even is a difference).

thanks, i think ill go with the frozen, besides they are much cheaper. =)

do you have any good buffolo recipe sauce? i like the vinegary hot suace flavor. i cant really describe it.

Find some Frank's hot sauce, and go with the recipe on the bottle.

I think this'll give you what you want. You can bake them or deep fry them - I recommend baking. Frank's is "vinegary", and is supposedly the sauce that was used originally for Buffalo wings. The recipe includes butter. :biggrin:

(Edited to include gratuitous butter reference)

Edited by crinoidgirl (log)

V

I prefer Texas Pete to Frank's (although both only make rather mild hot wings), but Frank's will do in a pinch, Crystal isn't bad either.

Combine a bottle of hot sauce with enough butter to cut it a bit, and while this isn't traditional, I add some pureed garlic and lots of black pepper, really wakes up the flavor a lot.

Definately deep fry, baked wings can be decent, but deep fried are out of this world, and the truest way to do buffalo wings. Pat the wings dry before you fry them, apply no flour or seasoning on the wings themselves (you want to get the skin crispy, and flours/breading interfere with this), once cooked, toss int he sauce, the serve.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide