• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Year's Eve in NJ?

Rosie

On one of the most over-rated, expensive, never-get-what-you-pay-for nights we are going to my friends house to celebrate. Good food, good drinks(lots) and good friends. We choose to stay in and away from all the amatures. :)

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

new years eve is when john and i celebrate our christmas so it is champagne and opening the stockings in the late afternoon. we are going to do a cheese plate to have during this time. dinner will be a shrimp cocktail, filet mignon with a mushroom port sauce, roasted white and sweet potatoes, and a salad of winter greens. dessert will be chocolate mousse and more champagne - maybe in the jacuzzi if it isn't raining.

new years day looks to be good weather so we will be out early to bird. i'll take cinnamon rolls and thin slice the filet to make sandwiches. i'm making some bean salad as well as a large thermos of coffee. when we get home we will have the other half of the capon from christmas, dressing, some wild and brown rice with broccoli. have a 2003 eroica (not erotica like john kept calling it at the dinner)to chill.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Hanging out with my cousins in Hoboken. They requested that I make the crabcakes I did for Xmas Eve, and I'm also making Mussels with Shallots and Thyme.

We'll probably go out for drinks, afterwards, and then come back to celebrate the new year.

Happy New Year to all!!

Was invited yesterday to join my sister and her family at Morton's for a 5 pm seating. Pretty good food, but pricey. I think the bill came to $620 (with tax and tip) for 7 adults and a toddler. Hot apple pie was really good, and 4 of us brought leftovers of our steaks home for another meal.

Happy New Year to all. How was your evening? We stayed home and watched two movies.

we had a good time exchanging our presents and eating. course the best part was the side by side taste test of the 100 year old and 150 year old grand marniers. :blink:

getting ready to head to warren county and bird for the day. happy and healthy new year to all!!!!

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Stayed home & watched Shrek 2 for the heck of it. We've both got that intestinal virus that's going around the tri-state area so not many options for fun this weekend. Hope no one else catches this bug.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Well, my cousin caught that intestinal virus.

Good thing I premade the crabcakes. At least we had NY Eve dinner..

and had to do the cooking again today for all, and with instructions from cook123, I prepared a Prime Rib for the first time. Came out perfect! Whew!