• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Takeout Desserts after 6 p.m.

butter

It happened again. My husband and I wanted to pick up a good dessert to take home, but couldn't think of anywhere. Places like True Confections, Max's Deli, or Urban Fare are out (personal taste thing). We usually end up going to Mondo for gelato, but tonight it was just too cold. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is any place open after 6 p.m.? Also, IMO, it doesn't feel right to go into a restaurant for a takeout dessert otherwise I would have gone to HSG for the gingerbread pudding.

Where do all of you go? Thanks in advance.

"One chocolate truffle is more satisfying than a dozen artificially flavored dessert cakes." Darra Goldstein, Gastronomica Journal, Spring 2005 Edition

I have the same problem too. Sometimes, I go to Trafalgar's at Sweet Obsession on West 16th Avenue. They have wonderful desserts. Even though they are a restaurant, but the desserts are in display cases near the entrance so I don't feel so bad for getting take-outs there.

Hi. I have been lurking in the shadows, finally I have decided to reply. Let's see, dessert after 6pm? Have you tried Ganache Patisserie at 1262 Homer St, open till 7pm. Lovely display case full of delicious cakes and pastries.

Hi. I have been lurking in the shadows, finally I have decided to reply. Let's see, dessert after 6pm? Have you tried Ganache Patisserie at 1262 Homer St, open till 7pm. Lovely display case full of delicious cakes and pastries.

Welcome Mangoe! We've been waiting for you to speak up :biggrin:

Call me crazy ... but I used to pick up rice pudding from Bread Garden for a late nite nosh. I'm reluctant to admit this to the forum as we seem to have an aversion to BG. But since nowhere else offers rice pudding, and being of Norwegian descent I am addicted to the stuff, I turn a blind eye and indulge.

A.

Welcome mangoe!!

There is absolutely nothing wrong going into a restaurant for a takeout dessert. My only stipulation to that would be not to go at peak hour, which for most places is 12-2 and 7-9. I do it on occasion. Usually have a drink at the bar while I'm waiting.

Derek

pretty much any restaurant will do dessert take-out until well after they shut down for appetisers and main courses late at night. though you pay a premium, most fine dining restaurants have excellent pastry chefs. you might have to forego the whipped cream, the creme anglaise, and the fruity coulis that comes with each plate (not pretty in a box), if it's only a piece of chocolate or lemon torte, a slice of pie, or a slab of cheesecake, most restaurants will hand over their desserts until 11pm or so.

hope that opens up some options...

ed.

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I'm going to try them all. Because I couldn't get dessert last night I went today and had a chocolate almond croissant from the Cafe Marseille on Cornwall and I have to report that it's going to be very difficult to not go there every day for one. Crispy exterior and buttery soft inside, with slightly warm not too sweet chocolate and almond filling. It was $3.70, but IMO worth it. Check it out.

"One chocolate truffle is more satisfying than a dozen artificially flavored dessert cakes." Darra Goldstein, Gastronomica Journal, Spring 2005 Edition

Hi Everyone! Fairly new member and 1st time poster here.

For my hands down, all time favorite after 6 PM dessert take-out would have to be Picnic on S. Granville. They have a Tropical Carrot Cake that the only way I can describe it is just "Damn!" They make it next store in Meinhardts. Sometimes they have two types there and the difference between the two is night and day ..... so be sure to specify. A good friend of mine is equally smitten with the Fudge Cake they have.

Also, close to me in Yaletown is a new Gelatto place on Homer called Yaletown Gelatto. Almost on the corner of Davie and Homer. Three brothers originally from a southern port city in Italy opened it. I've been there 3 times now, but not for the Gelatto which does look good, but for the Italian Pastries they have made.

They have Rum soaked sponge cakes, Espresso cream filled puff pastries, and many other tasty items. Since they just opened I think they are still trying to figure out how late they want to stay open. Everytime I walk past there about dinner time (7:30ish), they are still open. With one of the brothers I talked at lenth about the pastries I found at the Mercato in Florence but have had dismal luck finding anything close here. Commercial Drive, etc., has been searched with no luck. Being originally from Italy he said there is a whole internet Italian database of recipes that he can access to find the ones I described. Hopefully he has success finding these tasty treats I described to him.

My last submission of late night dessert is The White Spots Fudge Cake. It always seems to work when you are in a late night sugar craving pinch.

Have you tried Mix bakery on 10th - next to Burgoo. They make an amazing chocolate "oblivion" flourless cake and peanut butter pie is addictive but they only stay open until 6pm.

"Life is uncertain, Eat dessert first"

Another dessert night flop for me last night. My mistake in trying last night as I think most people are still in holiday mode. Took the journey across town to Trafalgars/Sweet Obsession at about 8 p.m. to find it closed. Swung by La Petit France, also closed. On my way home, there was a Bread Garden so I went in looking for the bread pudding Arne mentioned. No longer on the menu and ended up buying a chocolate square (similar to a date square). Awful, awful, awful! So bad that I feel like wrapping it up and sending it with a complaint letter to their head office. I swear the only chocolate in it is the tiny chips on the top. Picture this taste, oats, mixed with white sugar. some kind of cheap cocoa for colour, and shortening. My husband was so annoyed with my dessert affliction that he promised he will now buy desserts in advance and have them ready to eat at home. I knew this would work! lol

Wanted to add I have tried Provence's dessert takeout 3 times. The last time I left without a dessert as I didn't get any service after waiting about 10 mins. Not even a greeting. This happened the first time too, but I let it go b/c they were busy, however the 2nd and 3rd time it was later in the night and not busy. I only give a place 3 chances and IMO that's fair. Perhaps their showcase is not really meant for takeout at night???

Next time, if Hiro doesn't follow thru on his dessert promise, it will be Trafalgars again and the other suggestions...Mix, Picnic, Yaletown Gelato. I hope they are open.

I think I've tried every single one of the desserts at the Bread Garden back in high school, and I've never really enjoyed any one of them (sorry Arne! Homemade bread pudding is so much better! Especially when you make it with croissants and whipping cream... :wink: ) However, have you looked in the Bread Garden just off Robson? They have some new desserts that I haven't tried, and they look better than the regular offerings.

Last night we had about 8 friends over for dinner. For dessert we special ordered from Yaletown Gelatto their "Baba's" which are rum soaked sponge cakes as well as their mocha creme puffs.

Everyone totally flipped and thought they were the best things ever!

We did get a chance to finally try their Gelatto the other night which was very good as well. I think my favorite place for Gelatto is still Dolce Amore in Commercial. It's hard to get excited about Gelatto though when it's so damn cold.

PaoPao, what are you favourite pastries at Yaletown Gelato? The espresso-filled cream puffs sound delicious. Thanks for the hint!

Hi Ling! We're slowly working through their dispay case... :raz:

Favs so far would be the Babas (small fluffy rum soaked cake), the creme puffs, a creme puff type cake, and the cookies. They all have Italian names which I am sure upon enough visits will be easier for me to remember. Next to try is the choc. torte.

The brothers head back home to Italy every year. That and a good rotation of goodies should hopefully keep new Italian pastry discoveries coming.

• 1 month later...