• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kiwi Pie Company

maxmillan

• 4 months later...

So a few co-workers and I ventured up Robson (542 Robson, between Richards and Seymour) for a pie for lunch. The guys had one recently and liked it enough to go again.

I have only tried this one before me now (Veggie Samosa, as I like kidney with my steak and theirs seemed to have none), and I'm just ...meh about it. $6 for a 5 inch pie ? it feels like a lot of money for a just OK product. Maybe I'd like the meat pies more than this one, not that there's anything wrong with it or anything.

I got a nice salad with it, I asked for a small ($2.50) and she only had the large ($4.50) but she only charged me for the small...the greens are pretty nice and there are a few slices of cucumber in there, some strawberry slices (less than one strawberry's worth), a couple of sliced grape tomatoes (is that what they're called? the really small ones) and a half-dozen pecan halves. This is the large...

I feel like I've paid sit-down prices for take-out, it just feels a bit overpriced.

I will be back at the Kolachy Shop as usual next week, no fear.

Edited to add that the ranch salad dressing is really good (homemade).

Edited by *Deborah* (log)

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

More discussion on Kiwi Pie COmpany starting HERE [CLEEK]

A.

Sorry Daddy, but if it's a Kiwi "clickety" you're suggesting here, it should be "CLUCK"!! "CLEEK" recognizes the Aussi shortened, clipped enunciation, whereas "cluck" is unmistakeably the lazy NZ drawl.

Speaking of pies, I will be sampling the Kiwi Pie Company's product next week, and they had better have a real "dressed pie" available, and not all these wankerish nouveau-chic varietals.

Dressed pies have been available in NZ for about 60 years, dragged into the NZ culinary lexicon by "cafe-de-curb" proprietors who couldn't figure what else to do with last night's left-overs. Slap a generous portion of mashed potato on top of day old meat (steak, steak and kidney, or mince) pie, slather on a heaping hill of last night's stewed green peas, and for that je ne sais quoi a couple of slices of canned beetroot on top. mmmmmmmmmmmm....dressed pie.

John

"Venite omnes qui stomacho laboratis et ego restaurabo vos"

• 5 months later...

Man, I feel I am late to the game finding this place. Was walking by on Robson to go to Future Shop and decided to stop in and try their pies.

I bought one Butter Chicken to go and ate it at home a bit later on.

When I took it out of the bag it was still nice and warm with a fantastic golden flakey crust. I offered some to the wife, which she declined, and dove in. Oh man, it was delicious! Just the right portion for a large snack. Flakey, chewy crust and a mix of spices in the butter chicken that really hit the mark surrounding big chunks of white and dark meat chicken.

If you happen to be in the area, do your stomach a favour and stop by.

I'm sure it's way to early to know, but I sure hope they find their way into the new Whitecaps Waterfront Stadium. They're at Swanguard, so I hope they'll get asked to make the move.

Ahhhh ... soccer, a pint and a pie :biggrin:

A.

besides their fantastic pies, they also have awesome soups now. all homemade, and delicious. huge bowl and a couple pieces of bread for $3.95, a steal. also, they have 2 toonie tuesdays for the pies. side salads are also a steal at $1, mixed greens, some fruit, sometimes walnuts, sometimes blue cheese. must try the star anise vinagrette.

no, i don't work there. i work next door and eat there far too often! :biggrin:

btw, arne, i'm sure that they will end up at the new stadium. it's a good way for cliff to watch a soccer game for free! :raz:

Edited by makanmakan (log)

Quentina

I've checked out the Kiwi Pie Company at the Kingsway location. I occasionally drove there on Mondays to buy two small pies for the price of one. It was a fabulous deal. I don't think they offer it anymore, but on Tuesdays you can get a small pie for $4, which isn't bad.

I've always enjoyed the pies. It's been a while since I've had one so I forget which flavours I liked best, but I do know that I wasn't crazy about the butter chicken pie ... probably because I prefer my butter chicken the traditional way, not encased in pastry.

The other day I had a low blood sugar fit and tried and popped in on the way home. I bought a sausage roll and a minted lamb and butternut squash pie- it was Tuesday so total was six bucks.

The sausage in the roll was much looser than I am accustomed to, but I found myself thinking about it the next day, a good sign. The flavours in the pie were lovely, though the lamb was sparse. The gravy was more gelationous- qalmost marrowy, than I am used to. Again though, it passed the obsession test. I will be going back and trying some other flavours.

I got my pie for 4 bucks though. Not sure that I would pay six.

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

I got my pie for 4 bucks though. Not sure that I would pay six.

I buy mine frozen (which I think are cheaper) then toast them up at home. When they are fresh out of the oven... man o man are they ever good. I tend go for more of the nursery flavors - turkey and stuffing, chicken and ham - rather than the more out of the loop varieties.

they also now have veggie rolls which are very good. i have a nasty addiction to the sausage rolls there and i think these might save my cholesterol level!

you can also buy frozen day old pies for a fraction of the usual price as well. they're still good reheated in the oven, although the crust is not as crispy.

Quentina