• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hoppin' John

Fay Jai

Okay, I think that I am confused. It has always been my understanding that Hopping John at its most basic is black eyed peas and rice,(good luck) with collards being an option to bring financial luck.

saw the postings re: New Year's foods, and saw ham mentioned in all of them, and rice being kind of an afterthought.

Have I been making it wrong? :sad:

Thanks!

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

http://bloatitup.com

No, you've been fine. Hoppin' john is its own distinct dish, and other dishes that are often served at New Year's Day feasts include collards and some sort of pork product.

There are numerous variations of hoppin' john, but the one I favor is Bill Neal's, which includes the peas, rice, cheddar, tomatoes and scallions. Even my kids look forward to eating this dish!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Okay, last year the little cans of black-eyed peas were sold out and my fortunes tanked! :huh:

So this year, I have the end of a spiral-cut ham that's ready to go into a pot with 2lbs peas I plan to soak over night. (I figured the more of it I make... :smile: )

THEN what do I do? prepare as for pea-soup but cut simmer time to "when-tender", say one hour? When do I add celery, carrot, onion? Serve with jalapeno slices?

Post suggestions here:

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Okay, last year the little cans of black-eyed peas were sold out and my fortunes tanked! :huh:

So this year, I have the end of a spiral-cut ham that's ready to go into a pot with 2lbs peas I plan to soak over night. (I figured the more of it I make...  :smile: )

THEN what do I do? prepare as for pea-soup but cut simmer time to "when-tender", say one hour? When do I add celery, carrot, onion? Serve with jalapeno slices?

Post suggestions here:

The recipe that I use for Hoppin John is from Louisiana chef John Folse. Click here for a few ideas on what to add.

I've been successful using the recipe on the back of the bag of dried black eyed peas. IIRC it includes salt pork or fatback and also some onions etc. Best bet is to put the beans in cold water, bring to the boil, cover, remove from heat and leave overnight. Rinse twice in the morning and then add fresh water and other ingredients. About 45 - 60 minutes of cooking will then suffice.

There was a good thread here awhile back on cooking dried beans by an oven baking method. Sorry I can't recall the details nor was I able to find it by search but there will be some helpful info there if someone can point you to it.

There was a good thread here awhile back on cooking dried beans by an oven baking method. Sorry I can't recall the details nor was I able to find it by search but there will be some helpful info there if someone can point you to it.

This link should take you directly to Russ Parson's quote where he detailed and honed his method of oven-baking beans: Click Here for post #59

You should really read the entire extraordinary discussion for "dried bean cooking 101a". Rancho Gordo weighs in with some additional ingredients that added to the overall dish and on the last page, fifi (SSB that she is) experimented enough to come up with an actual recipe.

One of eGullet's finest hours....

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Those posts were excellent resources. Unfortunately, I had already soaked the Black-Eyes last night, but what the hey... I am definitely doing fifi's oven method for the 2 1/2hr result. Instead of andouille, I'm putting the hambone in. I thought I'd saute celery and green pepper and add it around the last half hour.

Whatchoo t'ink, guys?

Edited in a moment of clarity:

Okay, the hambone is out... cubes of ham and chorizo are in, JFolse recipe is making more sense to me but I only have jasmine rice. :sad:

Edited by johnnyd (log)

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

Portland Food Map.com

I've decided to go with the hambone - sigh! Stick with the original plan... especially when you are hungover... not that I ever GET hungover! Aren't these damn peas ready yet?!

Portland Food Map.com

Wow, what a success!

Had my Creuset bubbling with 1lb soaked Black-Eyes, one hambone, half an onion, 3clvs garlic, bay leaves for three hours. Drained the peas, then added longgrain rice, diced onion, carrot, red and green pepper, 3ribs celery and a can of diced tomato. Simmered at low for two cribbage games.

Collards and corn muffins! It was delicious. :smile:

Portland Food Map.com

I'm sorry I'm too late for this year's New Year's Day (just barely had enough time to do my cooking yesterday). Don't know about you folks in other parts of the US - but here in north Florida we get fresh black eyed peas. They don't have to be soaked. They cook up in about 30 minutes (I add them to the water/seasonings which you have to cook for about 20 minutes ahead of time) - and they are delicious. I use Bill Neal's recipe for field peas from Southern Cooking. Robyn

• 9 years later...

If you're preparing Hoppin' John at a time of the year when good fresh tomatoes are readily available, are they a workable sub for canned tomatoes or would I be missing out on the liquid?

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

I've been preparing Hoppin' John for 50+ years and I've never used tomatoes.

Black-eyed peas (beans), rice, bacon and a little hot pepper - finely chopped onion - for flavor.

Occasionally I add some cut green beans - a variation favored by my family. 

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett